Ted Rogers Dead at age 75

ET1062

Ted Rogers Dead at age 75

"CBC News has confirmed that Rogers Communications Inc. CEO Ted Rogers has died at the age of 75. Rogers had been treated for an existing cardiac condition in November.

Rogers' company hold the rights to 80 percent of the Toronto Blue Jays, as well as the Rogers Centre and, obviously, the naming rights. Rogers had discussed the idea of bringing the NFL to Toronto, and signed a deal with Ralph Wilson to bring several Bills preseason and regular season games to the Rogers Centre, including Aug. 14, 2008's preseason game with the Steelers and Dec. 7's upcoming game with the Miami Dolphins"

So, what implications does this have for us moving to Toronto? Was it him personally that had talked about moving a franchise to Toronto, or was it his family or trust?

It means it is one less option for Ralph to move the team. The fanbase has never had more leverage in the last 15 years to demand Ralph start spending money to put a winner on the field.

It means it is one less option for Ralph to move the team. The fanbase has never had more leverage in the last 15 years to demand Ralph start spending money to put a winner on the field.

What about Ted Rogers II & Ted Rogers III? Have they shown interest in the Bills or any team?

What about Ted Rogers II & Ted Rogers III? Have they shown interest in the Bills or any team?

I think that it is more Rogers - "the company" (don't forget, Rogers - "the flame thrower") that has an interest in bringing the Bills to Toronto.

My thinking is that their position will not change greatly because of this loss.

I think that it is more Rogers - "the company" (don't forget, Rogers - "the flame thrower") that has an interest in bringing the Bills to Toronto.

My thinking is that their position will not change greatly because of this loss.

Jim Kelly the writer, not god, was on wgr this morning and gave the impression that if you were worried about them moving there you still should be. A assclown by the name Ted Lynn was the one of orchestrated this within the rogers company and still may push for this. Still though, with the lack of success of the series and now this, i think toronto may have lost some luster as a possible destination. I am still prayin kelly, the god not writer, can put a group together and he can run football operations.

The NFL does not allow corporate ownership. I am not saying Toronto still couldn't put an ownership group together, but you basically need at least one billionaire as part of that group. Do Rogers' heirs have the same passion to bring the NFL to Canada effectively breaking up the CFL? Rogers passing cannot be good for Toronto's chances of landing the Bills.

The NFL does not allow corporate ownership. I am not saying Toronto still couldn't put an ownership group together, but you basically need at least one billionaire as part of that group. Do Rogers' heirs have the same passion to bring the NFL to Canada effectively breaking up the CFL? Rogers passing cannot be good for Toronto's chances of landing the Bills.

I was just about to post this. Ted Rogers would have been the owner and the face of the franchise. Now they don't have him and instead have a corporation, which won't fly, and I doubt anyone has the money Rogers did. And his heirs will divide his money and (I assume) get taxed on it.

There are other billionaires in Canada who could easily buy the team and move them to Toronto. Hell, there are billionaires in America who could do the same thing.

But what set Rogers apart, in a way, was his willingness to assume the risk of pissing off MANY Canadian politicians and citizens by bringing the NFL to Toronto and all but putting the CFL on death row.

Maybe some of the Canadians on the board could comment on what actually went down when the series was first announced and it became apparent Rogers might have his eyes on the Bills for Toronto permanently...

There are other billionaires in Canada who could easily buy the team and move them to Toronto. Hell, there are billionaires in America who could do the same thing.

But what set Rogers apart, in a way, was his willingness to assume the risk of pissing off MANY Canadian politicians and citizens by bringing the NFL to Toronto and all but putting the CFL on death row.

Maybe some of the Canadians on the board could comment on what actually went down when the series was first announced and it became apparent Rogers might have his eyes on the Bills for Toronto permanently...

From the Canadian point of view, all I can say is that Rogers faced a very up-hill battle to get an NFL team into Canada. The CFL were ready to lobby the government to keep the NFL out of Canada for fear it would destroy its league and the government seemed to acquiesce. On top of that, there was the fan backlash that came with the over-inflated ticket prices and the feeling that the NFL experience in Canada will be 'sanitized' (there is no tailgating allowed in Canada....it's terrible).

Will the Bills move to Toronto? Hopefully not, but if they want to get them there, it's going to be very hard for them to do so because of the government interference. Rogers did seem like the only guy who didn't give a hoot what the rest of Canada thought of him.

From the Canadian point of view, all I can say is that Rogers faced a very up-hill battle to get an NFL team into Canada. The CFL were ready to lobby the government to keep the NFL out of Canada for fear it would destroy its league and the government seemed to acquiesce. On top of that, there was the fan backlash that came with the over-inflated ticket prices and the feeling that the NFL experience in Canada will be 'sanitized' (there is no tailgating allowed in Canada....it's terrible).

Will the Bills move to Toronto? Hopefully not, but if they want to get them there, it's going to be very hard for them to do so because of the government interference. Rogers did seem like the only guy who didn't give a hoot what the rest of Canada thought of him.

Who knows? I see Harper just got usurped...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/R...how/3782681.cms

why because this jerk was going to steal our team, and acted pompously about it over the summer? Are you from toronto? sounds like it.

and by the way, i was only joking. this is a message board after all.

If this even slightly improves our chances of keeping the Bills in Buffalo, then I am personally happy to see that old man die. This football team means so much more to me than does the life of some random Canadian mogul. Ted Rogers never cared about the feelings of us WNY Bills fans, and I doubt he'd have cared if any one of us died. Therefore, I will be paying this douche and his family equivalent respect. Go :devil: yourself, Ted. Oh, wait...you can't...you're dead :unsure:.

Who knows? I see Harper just got usurped...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/R...how/3782681.cms

This coalition government we might have (and don't get me started on what a fiasco our ENTIRE government is...right now I'm praying for a military coup....) is actually more PRO-CFL than the current government. Harper didn't seem to be too concerned with the league but the Liberals are strong bedfellows with many of the CFL owners. This coalition actually hurts the Bills chances of moving to Toronto even further.

And I wouldn't have it any other way...