Why are the Receivers free from blame?

SwampD

Everyone gets the blame in these losses. The D, even though they held an NFL team to 10. Oline, QB's, coaches, owner,...everyone.

Why doesn't either QB throw the ball deep? I find myself screaming at the TV,"Throw the ball downfield...Do something..Anything!!!" Are our receivers that bad that they can't get open on any play in any situation?

Hardy- sucks, I know he's a rookie so I give him a pass.

Reed-on the fence about him and he's been doing enough for me not to hate him.

Evans-he has got to do more if he's the #1.

Do we even have any others?

The Bill's losses have been so all encompassing, but the only group that is left that hasn't taken enough heat, I think, is the receivers. They blow!

Receivers HAVE been open, the ball just isn't getting to them because the QB's aren't reading the plays well as they develop. Case in point, on 4th and 2 Losman was looking to the end zone at a double covered receiver while we had one COMPLETELY open from the moment the ball was snapped. He continued to be open as he ran across the middle past the first down marker. Losman just ignored him and kept looking for the TD.

Receivers HAVE been open, the ball just isn't getting to them because the QB's aren't reading the plays well as they develop. Case in point, on 4th and 2 Losman was looking to the end zone at a double covered receiver while we had one COMPLETELY open from the moment the ball was snapped. He continued to be open as he ran across the middle past the first down marker. Losman just ignored him and kept looking for the TD.

Maybe if they were good enough, our QBs would have enough faith in them to make a play and WOULD throw the ball to them.

Why is every example of a bad throw by the QB always Losman? Edwards was just as bad. And was bad in what, 3 games, that Losman didn't play in.

I' m not a Losman fan, but people, you need to realize that Edwards isn't the Savior. He's made many mistakes and don't go blaming his concussion because he played good against San Diego two weeks after that.

Yes, the coaching sucks, but Trent Edwards is supposed to be the leader on the field and too many times he has sucked.

Everyone gets the blame in these losses. The D, even though they held an NFL team to 10. Oline, QB's, coaches, owner,...everyone.

Why doesn't either QB throw the ball deep? I find myself screaming at the TV,"Throw the ball downfield...Do something..Anything!!!" Are our receivers that bad that they can't get open on any play in any situation?

The Bill's losses have been so all encompassing, but the only group that is left that hasn't taken enough heat, I think, is the receivers. They blow!

You are largely correct, these receivers can't beat anyone and Fox's Tony B. was all over that today. But he also did show a situation deap in the red zone, the 4th down play, where Evans clearly separated but Losman was way too slow to recognize the play. This is honestly the worst WR group in the league and I don't feel Evans is a true number 1, I don't ever recall him making a "run after the catch" play. He can sure beat people on stop and goes and fly patterns, but the rest of his game is average. Add Hardy to a long list of early round draft failures, the guy has nothing.

They can't really be that bad can they? The WRs are young and can only get better. Or so I was told. :sick:

Do people really think it is 100% coincidental that both Bills QBs throw check downs and dump offs? Really?

That's what I'm sayin'.

The receivers are not to blame because an efficient NFL quarterback takes a few steps back, finds a receiver who has a step and finds an opening to fit the ball into. Both Bills quarterbacks refuse to throw the ball to a WR unless they are WIDE open. In the NFL, you don't get that wide open all the time, the QB has to have some balls and make a play from time to time. By the way, did you see how open Evans was coming across the middle on that 4th down?

This is not an offense that really features the wide receivers. Randy Moss would be mediocre as a Bill.

The TV commentators repeatedly mentioned how the Buffal Bills receivers were not getting open and the QBs didn't really have many options. I'm not validating the comments, just passing it on.

When I am at the game, I see too many routes where the wide outs run 20 yds straight downfield and then just stop...easy to cover and then the receiver never trys to make anything happen....we need some new receiver patterns...Why don't we have crossing patterns and inside slant routes that Welker, Boldin and those types make a career on?

I did see our 1st play action pass today....almost fell off the sofa !

From 5-1 to eliminated in November.... There's no O in Buffal :devil:

The TV commentators repeatedly mentioned how the Buffal Bills receivers were not getting open and the QBs didn't really have many options. I'm not validating the comments, just passing it on.

When I am at the game, I see too many routes where the wide outs run 20 yds straight downfield and then just stop...easy to cover and then the receiver never trys to make anything happen....we need some new receiver patterns...Why don't we have crossing patterns and inside slant routes that Welker and those types make a career on?

I did see our 1st play action pass today....almost fell off the sofa !

From 5-1 to eliminated in November.... There's no o in Buffal :devil:

Did you read Evans' "happy" remarks about the scheme? Basically, everyone runs a deep clear out and the QB has nobody to throw it to other than to dump it off to a back.

I was assuming that the routes had some sort of pre-snap read to them, but I may be giving the whole thing too much credit. The passing game may be designed exclusively so that all the receivers are decoys.

Check out the two QB interviews after the game. They basically say the same thing. The 49ers had a cover-2 man-under coverage, nothing was open, so they had to throw short and if that wasn't there run it themselves.

What's surprising is that this suggests that the coverage was pretty apparent (both QBs suggested the same thing) and fairly consistent and that the Bills simply were unable to get the 49ers out of it. My guess is that our receivers just plain suck, our running game blows, and our offensive coordinator has his head up his ass. How do you go almost 2 months and not come up with something you can do against a cover-2 look?!?

I know. :blink:

It's hard to ignore that it is more likely the system and that defenses know exactly which looks to give to cause the Bills to go into the "check down turtle shell" passing game.

SF gave Edwards the deep ball, he didn't take it.

SF completely locked down the deep threat when Losman took over.

Hey Big Cat,

I was just reading your thread. Basically, you confirm exactly what Losman said he was seeing. Edwards in his interview said that their coverages were causing them to go with a lot of crossing patterns and drags underneath to try and move the chains, but you are saying the 49ers were playing down low, which means the Bills should've taken some shots over the top to open it up. In fact, not having any ability to go over the top was something Steve Fairchild mentioned last season as a big problem for this offense. Maybe just adding James Hardy and Turk didn't solve it?

Doesn't this go to my point about our receivers? This doesn't say much about them that they can't get open against Niner's vaunted 29th ranked passing defense. If only we could have played the 30th or 31st ranked passing defenses.[/sarcasm]