Why are the Receivers free from blame?

SwampD

Hey Big Cat,

I was just reading your thread. Basically, you confirm exactly what Losman said he was seeing. Edwards in his interview said that their coverages were causing them to go with a lot of crossing patterns and drags underneath to try and move the chains, but you are saying the 49ers were playing down low, which means the Bills should've taken some shots over the top to open it up. In fact, not having any ability to go over the top was something Steve Fairchild mentioned last season as a big problem for this offense. Maybe just adding James Hardy and Turk didn't solve it?

For the record, today when I was walking out of the game some idiot was trying (unsuccessfully) to run up a mud covered hillside. I turned to the guy next to me (bitter from having to sit in the freezing rain only to witness an EMBARASSING Bills performance) and said, "Isn't that just wonderfully analogous of the Bills Sisyphean efforts of late?" Then I thought of you.

So, if I'm reading correctly what you wrote: Losman saw the game like I did, and Edwards did not. I had a much more elevated view, so...

And to answer you question about our inability to go long- I guess there's two solutions: bring in a savvy veteran who has a pair (McNabb) or wait for the part of Edwards' game to develop. Assuming I'm reading you correctly.

Doesn't this go to my point about our receivers? This doesn't say much about them that they can't get open against Niner's vaunted 29th ranked passing defense. If only we could have played the 30th or 31st ranked passing defenses.[/sarcasm]

Well, no. From where I sat the receivers WERE open on the deep routes. They just went unacknowledged. To me, that goes to the point that it was the QB who couldn't handle the 29th rated pass defense.

Well, no. From where I sat the receivers WERE open on the deep routes. They just went unacknowledged. To me, that goes to the point that it was the QB who couldn't handle the 29th rated pass defense.
SF completely locked down the deep threat when Losman took over.

I just don't see how it was Losman's fault, and not our receiver's, that the deep threat was taken away. I just don't think any of them are all that special.

I agree though that Trent should have at least tried to throw to someone downfield. I have to believe that even a throw over Evan's head would have been more useful(to loosen up the D) than a 1 yard checkoff pass.

For the record, today when I was walking out of the game some idiot was trying (unsuccessfully) to run up a mud covered hillside. I turned to the guy next to me (bitter from having to sit in the freezing rain only to witness an EMBARASSING Bills performance) and said, "Isn't that just wonderfully analogous of the Bills Sisyphean efforts of late?" Then I thought of you.

So, if I'm reading correctly what you wrote: Losman saw the game like I did, and Edwards did not. I had a much more elevated view, so...

And to answer you question about our inability to go long- I guess there's two solutions: bring in a savvy veteran who has a pair (McNabb) or wait for the part of Edwards' game to develop. Assuming I'm reading you correctly.

It's a mess. A QB that does show an ability to pose a deep threat will be treated to a deep zone like Losman, meaning that the Bills would have to be able to move the ball with the short stuff. For that to happen, the Bills need versatile receivers, a legit NFL TE, and different looks, motions, packages to force match-ups they can exploit. With Edwards, they'll have to wait until the defense has to respect his ability to hit from downtown -- otherwise, they'll just continue to clog up the paint.

I just don't see how it was Losman's fault, and not our receiver's, that the deep threat was taken away. I just don't think any of them are all that special.

I agree though that Trent should have at least tried to throw to someone downfield. I have to believe that even a throw over Evan's head would have been more useful(to loosen up the D) than a 1 yard checkoff pass.

The fact that the deep threat was taken away was not the fault of Losman OR the WR's. They had at least two safeties on every passing down, often times three. If you want to fault anyone for that, I suppose you could fault Losman for not making them respect the short stuff. As my dad (who's more basketball than football) says- Losman's got the touch of a juiced up gorilla.

The fact that the deep threat was taken away was not the fault of Losman OR the WR's. They had at least two safeties on every passing down, often times three. If you want to fault anyone for that, I suppose you could fault Losman for not making them respect the short stuff. As my dad (who's more basketball than football) says- Losman's got the touch of a juiced up gorilla.

Funny and true. I just think that good receivers find a way to get open, and really good receivers make the catch even when they're covered.

The problem I keep seeing is that our QB's refuse to throw the ball to players unless they are wide open. I am watching other teams and see how their QB's are willing to throw the ball to receivers even when defenders are close to them, but put the ball in a place where the defender can't really make a play on it without getting a PI call...

Basically our QB's won't throw the ball unless guys are as open as they are in college, which causes them to hold the ball a lot longer than needed since guys are going to rarely be that open in the NFL....

The problem I keep seeing is that our QB's refuse to throw the ball to players unless they are wide open. I am watching other teams and see how their QB's are willing to throw the ball to receivers even when defenders are close to them, but put the ball in a place where the defender can't really make a play on it without getting a PI call...

Basically our QB's won't throw the ball unless guys are as open as they are in college, which causes them to hold the ball a lot longer than needed since guys are going to rarely be that open in the NFL....

Yes! I noticed this watching the Giants highlights this morning.