interesting column on AFC playoff projections

tomdayfan

Look at Cleveland last year

Yes, it can happen. But I think the likelihood is exaggerated.

The only 10-6 teams to miss the playoffs since the NFL went to the 8 division format in 2002 are...

2007 Browns

2005 Chiefs

2003 Dolphins

Just watch. A couple of these teams will fade. At least one will tank. If the Bills finish 4-1 (and that's the hard part), especially with wins over the phins and pats*, I like their chances.

Hmmm… that's a pretty good breakdown.

(I hope you don't think less of me because I had to look up "pluperfect" in the dictionary.)

Isn't amazing the number of disjointed fragments the brain collects through the years, on call to spew back with no idea if they makes any sense?

I darkly despised grammar. But when I was a captive of the Bflo. Public schools system, pounding it repeatedly into one's head was a big, big thing with them.

Nobody escaped. :thumbdown:

I understand your point, but you know that it doesn't work that way. If we get shut out at 10-6, next year we will be 9-7 or less. :thumbdown:

I am doing well at staying relatively calm this season, but 10-6 with no playoffs is a one way ticket to Depression City, wouldn't ya say?

Nah, Jets are shooting their wad this year, I expect them to fall back to earth next year. Pats are getting older. 10-6, even if no playoffs, would be a successful year and I would expect us to build on it next year and really ramp it up to 11-5 or 12-4.

I understand your point, but you know that it doesn't work that way. If we get shut out at 10-6, next year we will be 9-7 or less. :wallbash:

I am doing well at staying relatively calm this season, but 10-6 with no playoffs is a one way ticket to Depression City, wouldn't ya say?

:thumbdown:

I hear ya Bill.

Umm, excuse me, I certainly do "get it." N*E has 4 losses. One to the Bills and one to PIT or AZ gives them 6, and the Bills would own the tiebreaker. Baltimore has a tough schedule and is very likely to lose 2 more games, at which point the Bills also own the tiebreaker over the Ravens.

How are you figuring that the Bills have the Tie breaker?

I'll predict right now that IF the Bills get to 10-6, and IF those wins include Miami and N*E, they'll get in. Baltimore has a very tough schedule, and NE will lose another game along the way (PIT or AZ).

[/quote

Excuse me if I have absolutely ZERO confidence that we can bet the Patriots thus making this all a moot point. Hoody owns Jauron and the Bills until proven otherwise. If you had taken the Cheats and the points vs the Bills to Vegas the last six season you would be a very rich man. Our only hope would be if the Cheats had nothing to play for and that wont be the case this year. We face how many 3-4 defenses the rest of the way? My count is 4 out of the 5 games. Got no confidence with that either. Maybe we can "figure it out" against the niners who dont have a dominate nose tackle, but the interior of the o-line too weak to run the table. Best guess is 9-7 (improvement), lose to Jets who look SB bound and the Pats and line up a dominant center in draft free agency next year.

Thats kinda getting lost in all this, I think. If we go 10-6 and miss out, the season is a success regardless. 10-6 usually does get you in, and if we could just repeat that next year, chances are we'd be there.

I'd settle for that!!! :)

10 wins is nothing to sneeze at. If we don't make it, that's not that bad. It's better than another losing season.

Just win 10 baby. :death:

So, what we want to happen is one of the following:

1 - Baltimore to lose 2 games while the Bills win out

2 - Baltimore loses at least one game to an AFC team if the Bills lose only once

All of that said, none of this addresses what happens if New England* is part of a three-way tie. :)

Well, If Ravens, Bills and Pats are all 10-6 the tie between Bills/NE would be broken first as they are in the same division. The loser gets thrown out and the 2 way tie is then broken. The issue is then conference record. Bills need ravens to lose 2 games to AFC opponents (PIT, CIN, CLE, JAX). If one of the two losses are to DAL, or WASH the Bills are toast.