Was Singletary wrong for dropping his drawers?

BuffaloBill

On one hand you have to admire the passion (usually when I drop my pants too...lol) but on the other does he really think that would motivate his team? I lean towards the latter but I really respect his fire. I wish you could pass some of it on to Jauron.

Jauron would need a lot of meds to get anywhere near Singletary's intensity.

It doesn't seemed to have helped the 49ers all that much...but if dropping your pants works for you, more power to you...personally, I loved Singletary as a player, but I think he is making himself look like an ass since getting the head coach job in SF. Didn't Bobby Knight supposedly do the same thing, but wipe his ass in front of his players, to let them know that they were being used by the other team as "ass wipes"? Intense? Yeah...I suppose...Motivating? I am not so sure. Classless and without any dignity? Yes, I am pretty sure...

Personally, I kind of feel like there have been plenty of successful coaches who have won with dignity...Jauron may not be one of them...but I would rather the Bills be on the lookout for the next Joe Gibbs or Tom Landry than the next Bobby Knight...both types can win, but I'll take class over ass, in my succesfull football coach.

It doesn't seemed to have helped the 49ers all that much...but if dropping your pants works for you, more power to you...personally, I loved Singletary as a player, but I think he is making himself look like an ass since getting the head coach job in SF. Didn't Bobby Knight supposedly do the same thing, but wipe his ass in front of his players, to let them know that they were being used by the other team as "ass wipes"? Intense? Yeah...I suppose...Motivating? I am not so sure. Classless and without any dignity? Yes, I am pretty sure...

Personally, I kind of feel like there have been plenty of successful coaches who have won with dignity...Jauron may not be one of them...but I would rather the Bills be on the lookout for the next Joe Gibbs or Tom Landry than the next Bobby Knight...both types can win, but I'll take class over ass, in my succesfull football coach.

This makes us all appreciate Marv Levy. He knew when buttons needed to be pushed and how to push them. Everything he did, he did with class. What Singletary did was his style. He could never motivate players in Marv Levy's fashion, and Marv certainly wouldn't use his. However, Singletary's antics can only have an effect once, and the players become immune. Some coaches have a simple motivational tool, the bench or the cut list.

I am shocked you fellow posters dont consider this to be all in good fun. Obviously, in a football locker room there is a lot of pants dropping. Big deal. I really think it is a good analogy to the way they played. Sometimes a coach with an interesting persona takes the pressure off his team and lightens the mood.

The niners have played noticeably harder since singletary took over.

I remember my first day at freshman football camp. I was a skinny awkward kid. We take a knee and my six foot five, medallion rocking, gangster looking badass greek coach says "welcome to Cathedral Prep football camp- hey, what the fuk is that? Im gonna rip that earring out of your ear and take the rest of your ear with it (he limps like a zombie toward the player since he was in a car accident) If i see one more piece of fag jewelry on my effing football field.... "

He then stopped and looked around as if he didnt know where he was and asked what he was talking about before that. It was half acting, but it made it clear that we were here to be tough. He scared the hell out of referees. He would have done anything for us, and he spray painted his expensive car our colors. We sold out for him like navy seals.

I am shocked you fellow posters dont consider this to be all in good fun. Obviously, in a football locker room there is a lot of pants dropping. Big deal. I really think it is a good analogy to the way they played. Sometimes a coach with an interesting persona takes the pressure off his team and lightens the mood.

The niners have played noticably harder since singletary took over.

I don't really know if I agree with that. They got destroyed by the Cowboys and the 2-9 Seahawks. They played hard on Monday Night against a divisional opponent, but that's to be expected of every team. And, they are a measly 1-3 since he became head coach. Now, the only time I've actually SEEN them is on Monday Night so I can't directly refute your claim, but I sort of doubt it based on the results of their games.

I remember my first day at freshman football camp. I was a skinny awkward kid. We take a knee and my six foot five, medallion rocking, gangster looking badass greek coach says "welcome to Cathedral Prep football camp- hey, what the fuk is that? Im gonna rip that earring out of your ear and take the rest of your ear with it (he limps like a zombie toward the player since he was in a car accident) If i see one more piece of fag jewelry on my effing football field.... "

He then stopped and looked around as if he didnt know where he was and asked what he was talking about before that. It was half acting, but it made it clear that we were here to be tough. He scared the hell out of referees. He would have done anything for us, and he spray painted his expensive car our colors. We sold out for him like navy seals.

Good story. I don't think 90% of the world knows what passion is anymore. People need to be told what to think for the most part. They are led to believe your coach is offensive. Or taken at face value Singletary is offensive or a loony. They just don't have the depth to understand real action and emotion anymore. Sad that the Singletary story is even a story.

So you look fondly back upon this homophobic tirade? That's a very offensive pejorative term to homosexuals. What if he had stormed over to the kid and said "if i see one more piece of n*gger jewelry on my effing football field...", would that have been in the spirit of the game as well?

So you look fondly back upon this homophobic tirade? That's a very offensive pejorative term to homosexuals. What if he had stormed over to the kid and said "if i see one more piece of n*gger jewelry on my effing football field...", would that have been in the spirit of the game as well?

Oh, please.

Being a little sensative? Yes, there is still a place in this world for intense emotion even if it rubs some people the wrong way. It can be quite effective in changing behavior quickly. Coach made his point, and I think those players understood him without being offended. From his story it sounds like that coach got the response he was looking for. Thick skin goes a long way in life.

Oh, please.

Being a little sensative? Yes, there is still a place in this world for intense emotion even if it rubs some people the wrong way. It can be quite effective in changing behavior quickly. Coach made his point, and I think those players understood him without being offended. From his story it sounds like that coach got the response he was looking for. Thick skin goes a long way in life.

I just like arguing with people, even if I don't believe in what I'm arguing. Honestly, the coach sounds like a cool guy.

Good story. I don't think 90% of the world knows what passion is anymore. People need to be told what to think for the most part. They are led to believe your coach is offensive. Or taken at face value Singletary is offensive or a loony. They just don't have the depth to understand real action and emotion anymore. Sad that the Singletary story is even a story.

You may be right, but screaming and carrying on, dropping your drawers, isn't really passion or real emotion, it is a schtick, performed to manipulate a response. This stuff can work short term, but normally wares off...who is to say that you can't carry yourself with a certain amount of decorum, and not have any emotion? Dan Reeves was a very classy guy, but managed to show "real" passion and emotion, without acting like an idiot. This schtick thing made Herm Edwards "coach of the year" one year, and hoodwinked a number of people into thinking he was a good NFL coach...I don't think there is anything wrong with a coach getting in a players face from time to time, but don't expect your guys to act like men, when you treat them like children...Singletary is trying to get his players attention...2 emotional outbursts in 4 weeks...he has their attention...now he has to do the trickier thing of turning them into good footbal players.

I dont think too many of our openly homosexual players were offended by him. I believe they understood the nuance between hating gays and hating limp-wristedness in general. That was sarcasm. This was an old school type of catholic school. There was no such thing as homosexuality. Just ask the gay priests we had in class.

When I say old school, I mean it. We still had a boxing program at that time. The priest headmaster of the school would beat the hell out of students. The dean of students was a naval captain. And the nuns did not know the meaning of sympathy. When a female teacher was inadvertently hit with a snowball, the next morning the headmaster announced that he would break the arm of any student who so much as let a flake touch their hand. He absolutely meant it, and he had the muscle to do it.

The coach in question once rode through the hallways on a harley in leather with his collar popped and the female principle holding onto him.

I dont think too many of our openly homosexual players were offended by him. I believe they understood the nuance between hating gays and hating limp-wristedness in general. That was sarcasm. This was an old school type of catholic school. There was no such thing as homosexuality. Just ask the gay priests we had in class.

When I say old school, I mean it. We still had a boxing program at that time. The priest headmaster of the school would beat the hell out of students. The dean of students was a naval captain. And the nuns did not know the meaning of sympathy. When a female teacher was inadvertently hit with a snowball, the next morning the headmaster announced that he would break the arm of any student who so much as let a flake touch their hand. He absolutely meant it, and he had the muscle to do it.

The coach in question once rode through the hallways on a harley in leather with his collar popped and the female principle holding onto him.

I went to public school and we had boxing too. Problem was that it was held at the empty lot down from the school and nobody wore gloves :D

Man, oh, man. It's getting so we can only make fun of the Heebs, Mics and WOPS any more.