NFL in Canada

Kipers Hair

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand the thought that we sold a game to Toronto. And now, it's going to be a relatively significant game. What a joke.

However, that being said, Toronto would be a great NFL city. I mean, as much as we may hate the idea that the Bills are moving games up there, the interest in a Toronto franchise would be great.

Seriously, would you pay Dallas Cowboy prices to see the Bills? Who do the Bills have on their team that is an even remotely marketable national star? The fact that any fans are ponying up as much as they are to see the Bills is halfway amazing in itself. The fact that they are getting a dud game, in terms of superstars, even futher proves the point. I mean, think about it, if you are a Canadian football fan longing to see NFL action, and it finally comes to your doorstep, are you going to pay New York City prices to see Miami and Buffalo? What legit star do you get to see for that kind of money?

If the Cowboys or Colts or Steelers or some other teams were there as the main attraction, the place would be sold out the first day tickets went on sale.

You can't have superstar prices without superstars on the field. After all, I don't pay $125 a ticket to see my local rock band just because they are playing in Toronto when I can see them for $5 in Buffalo. I would however, pay $125 to see Bruce Springsteen. The Bills, however, don't warrant Bruce Springsteen type fees. Dallas, Pittsburgh, Indy, New England, on the other hand.......

The smirking implies that they look down on Buffalo and is very ironic.

I don't think these Canadians actually look down on Buffalo, they simply have pride in their own home, as sad as that may be.

The ironic part is that their own ignorance of how to communicate perpetuates their predicament. The smirking is a sign of disdain whereas puffing out one's chest at the mention of Canada would be a sign of pride. So with this one simple act of smirking they both miscommunicate their intent and confirm the stupidity that is so stereotyped for Canadians.

If they had simply puffed out their chests instead of smirking, the Americans could go back to pitying them instead of being angry. This type of thing is how hard feelings between cultures develop over time. I for one, blame the Americans in this instance. By forgetting how stupid the Canadian is, they make a problem out of something that shouldn't be a problem. The American should simply explain to the Canadian the difference between a smirk and a puff. Granted it may draw an annoying confused look and take a while to explain, but it is still the right thing to do.

Guy, did a Canadian sleep with your inbred mother? Why do you hate us so much? For all you know, you might be half-Canuck!

Guy, did a Canadian sleep with your inbred mother? Why do you hate us so much? For all you know, you might be half-Canuck!

I have said so many times that I do not hate Canadians that my fingertips are going to fall off. I pity Canadians for their lack of intellect as a nation and I point out things, like in that post, that display this void. If I seem frustrated with Canadians at times it is because there are so many of them flooding over the border that it taxes our schools and hospitals. I definitely do not hate Canadians.

And that wasn't a very nice thing to say about my mom. I know she is not inbred because she is right handed.

Only you could use up 9 lines of text and say absolutely nothing.

College boy strikes again. The post explained the difference between a smirk and puffing out ones chest. I would guess that Cornell offers a course in sociology that might shed some light on this for you.

You may also want to look into a course in "counting numbers higher than 9" as you evidently need some help in that area.

Believe it or nor Canada does have it's own culture. I visit Montreal almost every year and can say for a fact that it is one of the most cultural cities that I have ever visited. Theater, music, film, etc., with festivals of all sorts (Blues, Jazz, Comedy - Just For Laughs, film fests - international and local). And yes, they even have their own bands, films, TV productions, writers, etc! Imagine that! How dare they! They even have rap en francais! Oh, the horror! And ummm, of course, the ballet.

I have met some arrogant Torontonians (is that the word?) with very specific snotty attitudes towards Buffalo. The comments are very specific about some visible blight in Buffalo that apparently isn't as prevalent in Toronto. I would compare that attitude to some New York City people who come to Buffalo for college and are absolutely baffled by the sensory incongruity that comes when one realizes that all the cities of the world aren't like NYC. Yes, Canadians used to flock to Buffalo for shopping and entertainment years ago before the world economy shifted at Buffalo's expense and Toronto's fortune. Recently, with the rise in the loony Canadians have been shopping in droves in Buffalo (which is welcomed and appreciated). I hope that Canadian traffic continues because as many of us know, the Buffalo economy needs friends with money to spend!

I have met a lot of cool Canadians in work and travel. Do I always agree with them? Hell no (especially politically!) but I can deal with it and the Canadians also seem to manage. Why people on the one hand call Canada the 51st state and then complain when they find that Canadians think and act differently than Americans is interesting! Maybe Canadians are different! Some have stated there are three ways each of us are perceived, the way we see ourselves, the way others see us and the way we think others see us (individually, our hometowns, nation, employer, line of work, football team, etc.). Think about it!

You know how Canada sometimes (all the time?) sees the U.S. as the big monster to the south, well, some of us Buffalonians perceive Toronto (with their four million plus population) as the monster to the north. In fact, there are people around Canada who also view Toronto the same way. However, from Buffalo's perspective, there are a number of monsters out there and they are of the greedy sort who have visions of ripping away a large part of our culture, the Buffalo Bills. And for anybody and everybody who subscribes to this conspiracy regardless of where they are from, where they live, they are the enemy, they are my enemy...

I'm just gonna go out there and say this...Canadians, in my experience, are much kinder people than Americans. Essentially, the cultures of American and Canada are relatively similar but I've always found my trips up north to be incredibly pleasant. I'm hoping to graduate college and go into sports broadcasting, and if my job takes me up to Toronto or another Canadian city, I'd be more than happy about that. Plus, lots of Tim Hortons.

You hit the nail on the head. I've met so many people from Canada at Phoenix Coyote hockey games and spring training games and they are the nicest people. When I talk to people from Canada I can guess that they're from Canada before they tell me and they often appear stunned and ask me how I knew they were from Canada.

I think the USA used to be like that. But, now we're not.

I have always maintained that LA has a much better chance of landing an NFL franchise before a team lands in Canada.

The problem is Americans think everybody wants an NFL franchise because the majority of people in America want one. Canada is NOT America. Believe it or not, Canada is another country with its own laws and culture. People who think they can slap an NFL franchise in Canada, and the Canadians will come in droves, are in for a rude awakening.

I think you're right. When Flutie played in Canada, I was not impressed with the crowds up there and they DID NOT sell more tickets with Flutie in the CFL.

I did enjoy watching the CFL, but they have some rules that I would change. They have some different terms for the same penalties in the NFL also.

I think the NFL prices up there it's not going to work. Those prices are a ripoff. If Canada won't buy a CFL ticket how are they going to buy a NFL ticket.