peter king on mike williams

In reality, his opinion is based on 5 minutes of film and a telephone conversation with someone.

86588[/snapback]

Yeah, and if that telephone conversation is with Jim McNally, what do you say?

If you were to take the most dominating tackle in the league and put him in MW's spot I guarantee you all of sudden he will not seem so dominating. I'm not saying MW is the best but OL-men and DL-men are often mistakenly blamed for the bad preformances of their fellow linesman.

The most damning thing about this particular comment is the sheer randomness about it. King is all over the place with this column but each point is obviously important to him. To throw a random jab at Williams and Newman as a parting shot for this piece kinda says a lot. That is, if you value the opinion of the media.

If Im an owner and you're my new GM and you tell me you're gonna take a guy who has already revealed nationally what an A$$ he is and that he is going to hold out before the draft even starts over a guy of equal talent with a much better history of character, then you're fired before you even get started.

86632[/snapback]

Who cares if he's an ass. A lot of good players are asses but they can play. How long is he gonna hold out ? He has to sign eventually. I have yet to ever see a player skip a whole year and go back into the draft. Who say's they were of equal talent ? Thats obviously not true. That scout should be fired. Any fan following college football that year could have told you who the better player was. Character ? What character has MW shown ? That he comes into camp out of shape and unprepared. That also obviously has carried over into the season. Are you actually watching the same two players I'm talking about ?

Who cares if he's an ass. A lot of good players are asses but they can play. How long is he gonna hold out ? He has to sign eventually. I have yet to ever see a player skip a whole year and go back into the draft. Who say's they were of equal talent ? Thats obviously not true. That scout should be fired. Any fan following college football that year could have told you who the better player was. Character ? What character has MW shown ? That he comes into camp out of shape and unprepared. That also obviously has carried over into the season. Are you actually watching the same two players I'm talking about ?

86820[/snapback]

Yes, I was refering to what they knew of his character prior to becoming a Bill which is what counts when you evaluate the decision to draft him.

were you happy or sad when we drafted williams. i doubt you were saying how bad of a player williams was on draft day.

THIS JUST IN: Yes, hindsight is still 20/20

86559[/snapback]

i don't know if my choice was any better but i really wanted bryant mckinnie.having said that right after we drafted mike williams i thought it was good because of all the stuff that i was hearing ,things like mckinnie has a tough agent and he will be a holdout and we already have an awesome left tackle in jonas jennings.and how mike williams was protecting chris simms and he was a lefty so even though mike was a right tackle it was like he was really a left tackle.so would we be any better with bryant or are they both the same players?

Simple analysis, Texas player vs. Miami player. Which do you take??

Well, outside of Priest Holmes, no Texas player as overachieved anything in the NFL in ten years. In fact, most have underachieved.

Now , not saying every Cane is great but generally they have lived up to the hype.

Miami produces good pros. Texas does not.

I think you are on to something there, simply based on Drew's stationary point in the pocket. Plus MW takes alot of flack by fans (including Peter King) for errors/ sacks given up that weren't even his responsibility. This in addition to the errors that ARE his responsibility which is bad enough. Bottom line, he has not reached potential, but hindsight critique of a GM's decision on a unanimously highly rated player does not hold much water.

86592[/snapback]

Please. If MW was anything but an overpaid sack of stevestojan, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, would we?

McKinnie was a LT, not a fat RT, a LT who did not allow a sack in college football. He was the right choice. TD screwed up, as he did with virtually every single pick he ever made after his first season.

Defend his record as you will.

MW is better than average as a RT, he is just not as dominant as we all think he should be. He was rated equivalent and even better than Mckinnie in many circles and many teams did not like Mckinnie's agent--hence hid holdout as a rookie. Mckinnie is great, but I saw him whiff on a block Sunday leaving Culpepper exposed. The difference, Culpepper got rid of the ball just as he was hit. Much tougher blocking for Bledsoe than Culpepper.

Please. If MW was anything but an overpaid sack of stevestojan, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, would we?

McKinnie was a LT, not a fat RT, a LT who did not allow a sack in college football. He was the right choice. TD screwed up, as he did with virtually every single pick he ever made after his first season.

86998[/snapback]

Lee Evans looks damn good. TKO, Fletcher, Milloy, McGee, McGahee, Losman has lots of promise, Schobel etc...not all bad decisions. Second best D in the league last year is not a mistake. Get rid of Bledsoe and we are much, much, better.

86998[/snapback]

Bill, I think you're a good Bills fan and I respect your right to express your thoughts but from what I have seen you have failed to even once convey any tangible evidence in the realm of offensive line play, assignments, and technique to support your insult laden and surprisingly empty claims regarding the play of some of our linemen, specifically Jonas Jennings (where I believe your observations were based on a game where the guy played with concusion symptoms) and MW. By no means are these two pro bowl performers but they are much more serviceable than they may appear to some and I have always atleast tried to back up these thoughts with game evidence. After a while "he's a piece of stevestojan" just doesn't hold up anymore...

Simple analysis, Texas player vs. Miami player.  Which do you take?? 

Well, outside of Priest Holmes, no Texas player as overachieved anything in the NFL in ten years.  In fact, most have underachieved.

Now , not saying every Cane is great but generally they have lived up to the hype. 

Miami produces good pros.  Texas does not.

86915[/snapback]

I think Roy Williams looks pretty good....