Re-Align the Divisions

Virgil

I'm always thinking about how much better the NFL could be if the divisions made more sense in terms of geographical location. Also, I've always thought that the playoffs would be better if division play made more sense. For example, at the end of the season the top two teams in each division would play for the crown, then the division winners would play each other. There would be the same number of rounds, only the first round wouldn't really be a "playoff," but atleast you have 2 more teams added to the mix at the end of the season. Make sense. In any case, if I thought it would be fun to see how people would allign the league if they had total power. Here's what I'd do:

I'd do an East and West Just like in Hockey. Still call it American and National Leagues though.

The American League (Eastern)

North

New England Patriots

New York Jets

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

West

Buffalo Bills

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland Browns

Cinncinnati Bengals

East

Baltimore Ravens

Washington Redskins

Carolina Panthers

Tennessee Titans

South

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Atlanta Falcons

Tampa Bay Bucaneers

National League (Western)

West

San Diego Chargers

San Fransisco 49ers

Oakland Raiders

Seattle Seahawks

South

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

Arizona Cardinals

New Orleans Saints

North

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

Detroit Lions

Chicago Bears

East

St. Louis Rams

Kansas City Chiefs

Indianapolis Colts

Denver Broncos

The only tough division for me to put together was the AFC East cause there really isn't a clear cut team to put with the Pats, Giants, and Jets. The Bills would make sense, but the division I put them in makes way more sense.

If you really look at these divisions, there is no reason why every team wouldn't sell out every divisional game due to how close they are. And while I understand teams not wanting to give up rivalries, I think we've proven in recent years that rivalries can come and go. The Bills/Phins is nothing compared to what it used to be. The Pat/Colts is new as for some like the Cowboys and Redskins, make that the Thanksgiving game. I'm sure they could find a way.

I dunno, this just makes sense to me. I'd be curious to hear thoughts.

Guest dog14787
I'm always thinking about how much better the NFL could be if the divisions made more sense in terms of geographical location. Also, I've always thought that the playoffs would be better if division play made more sense. For example, at the end of the season the top two teams in each division would play for the crown, then the division winners would play each other. There would be the same number of rounds, only the first round wouldn't really be a "playoff," but atleast you have 2 more teams added to the mix at the end of the season. Make sense. In any case, if I thought it would be fun to see how people would allign the league if they had total power. Here's what I'd do:

I'd do an East and West Just like in Hockey. Still call it American and National Leagues though.

The American League (Eastern)

North

New England Patriots

New York Jets

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

West

Buffalo Bills

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland Browns

Cinncinnati Bengals

East

Baltimore Ravens

Washington Redskins

Carolina Panthers

Tennessee Titans

South

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Atlanta Falcons

Tampa Bay Bucaneers

National League (Western)

West

San Diego Chargers

San Fransisco 49ers

Oakland Raiders

Seattle Seahawks

South

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

Arizona Cardinals

New Orleans Saints

North

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

Detroit Lions

Chicago Bears

East

St. Louis Rams

Kansas City Chiefs

Indianapolis Colts

Denver Broncos

The only tough division for me to put together was the AFC East cause there really isn't a clear cut team to put with the Pats, Giants, and Jets. The Bills would make sense, but the division I put them in makes way more sense.

If you really look at these divisions, there is no reason why every team wouldn't sell out every divisional game due to how close they are. And while I understand teams not wanting to give up rivalries, I think we've proven in recent years that rivalries can come and go. The Bills/Phins is nothing compared to what it used to be. The Pat/Colts is new as for some like the Cowboys and Redskins, make that the Thanksgiving game. I'm sure they could find a way.

I dunno, this just makes sense to me. I'd be curious to hear thoughts.

I would like any way you could get a couple more teams into the playoffs somehow, but old rivalries are a part of what makes football so great. Why play around with something that works so well, Home field is something teams depend on, what you propose could take away home field advantage for many teams. Its nice to go to a ball game knowing you have a whole stadium full of fans cheering for your team to win.

So nawww, even as tough as our division is, its still an exciting one and I wouldn't change it, but I would like a couple more teams added to the playoff format.

Ralph had a chance to move into a division with Cinci, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh back in the 90's when the divisions realigned. He was against anything that didn't keep the Miami rivalry in tact. Your point is valid, roster based rivalries can't last forever (eg kelly vs marino), geographic rivalries can (eg Michigan/Ohio St, Duke Unc in B-ball, etc). Ralph missed the boat on that one.

I would like any way you could get a couple more teams into the playoffs somehow, but old rivalries are a part of what makes football so great. Why play around with something that works so well, Home field is something teams depend on, what you propose could take away home field advantage for many teams. Its nice to go to a ball game knowing you have a whole stadium full of fans cheering for your team to win.

So nawww, even as tough as our division is, its still an exciting one and I wouldn't change it, but I would like a couple more teams added to the playoff format.

I don't see how this would take away from home field advantage. As always, the team with the better record has homefield in the division playoff. Then, the best two teams have homefield when the divisions play against each other, then the best team has it in the conference playoff. Same as it is now for the most part.

And does it really work so well? How many Bills fans make the trip to Miami every year. Against the Steelers and Browns, you are looking at a 2 and 4 hours drive. That works both ways for the teams and would create an awesome atmosphere.

Just thoughts...

THIS is how it should be. there should be four divisions with 8 teams each. the bills division- call it the AFC EAST- would be:

buffalo

n.e.

pgh

jets

miami

cleveland

cinci

balt.

1. you would play each team in the division ONCE a year (alternate home field each season), EXCEPT that each year you would play a home-and-home with ONE other team in your division...it would rotate. So maybe this year we'd have 2 games vs. pgh, then maybe next year it'd be the jets, etc. This would account for eight of your games.

2. You would play 4 games a year vs. the other AFC division. these would rotate each year as would the site. so everything is predictable.

3. You would also play 2games per year vs. NFC east foes and 2 games vs. NFC west foes. that adds up to 16.

ONLY THE WINNER in each division is guaranteed a playoff berth. THEY get the byes the first week of the playoffs. the other 4 teams in each conference would be wild cards. they duke it out for the chance to play the division winners (who will ALL be very good teams who earned the week off and the home field ). this would almost certainly END the sham that is 9-7 playoff teams who won their crappy 4-team division.

THIs system is better because:

- it gtives us more natural rivalries.

-keeps crappy teams out of the playoffs and eliminates crappy division winners.

- and it REALLY mean something if you won your division. can you imagine the dogfight each year in the division listed above?

frankly my idea is so good that not only can i not believe the nfl doesn't do it, but i can't even believe i thought of it.

THIS is how it should be. there should be four divisions with 8 teams each. the bills division- call it the AFC EAST- would be:

buffalo

n.e.

pgh

jets

miami

cleveland

cinci

balt.

1. you would play each team in the division ONCE a year (alternate home field each season), EXCEPT that each year you would play a home-and-home with ONE other team in your division...it would rotate. So maybe this year we'd have 2 games vs. pgh, then maybe next year it'd be the jets, etc. This would account for eight of your games.

2. You would play 4 games a year vs. the other AFC division. these would rotate each year as would the site. so everything is predictable.

3. You would also play 2games per year vs. NFC east foes and 2 games vs. NFC west foes. that adds up to 16.

ONLY THE WINNER in each division is guaranteed a playoff berth. THEY get the byes the first week of the playoffs. the other 4 teams in each conference would be wild cards. they duke it out for the chance to play the division winners (who will ALL be very good teams who earned the week off and the home field ). this would almost certainly END the sham that is 9-7 playoff teams who won their crappy 4-team division.

- and it REALLY mean something if you won your division. can you imagine the dogfight each year in the division listed above?

frankly my idea is so good that not only can i not believe the nfl doesn't do it, but i can't even believe i thought of it.

NFC West used to be one of the best divisions, so I think that crappy division winners come and go.

Ralph had a chance to move into a division with Cinci, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh back in the 90's when the divisions realigned. He was against anything that didn't keep the Miami rivalry in tact.

IMO one of RW's dumbest moves during his time as the Bills owner. The Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo rivalry would have been tremendous.

buffalo

n.e.

pgh

jets

miami

cleveland

cinci

balt.

I respect where you are going with this. More like Baseball making teams earn it, opposed to hockey and basketball where everyone gets in. The only problem I see is the lack of games within the division. If the division is what you have to win, then those games are the most important and need to be weighted heavier on the schedule. Like the MLB added more division games, while it seems like a lot, that's what the teams wanted. Yes, playing teams from other conferences is cool because you don't see them very often, if they don't count as much towards the playoffs, then the teams don't care as much. That's why I like the 2 conference, 4 division approach because you get 2 cracks at your division opponents, 3 if in the playoffs, and you still rotate amongst other teams in the conference and opposing conference.

I think all that made sense

I respect where you are going with this. More like Baseball making teams earn it, opposed to hockey and basketball where everyone gets in. The only problem I see is the lack of games within the division.

yeah, but it's actually MORE games in the division than they have now! with my system you get 8 divisional games vs. the current 6.