Interesting Event yesterday...

SD Jarhead

Because they contribute nothing to our society except a healthy dose of narrow-minded hatred. I never thought so....but then I lived there for a number of years and learned to my horror just how wrong I was. I found pockets of decent people here and there, but in the minority. I found the people around me to be overwhelmingly ignorant (and proud of it), shallow, and very parochial.

I guess you find those folks all over, but there sure seem to be a lot of them concentrated in the deep south. And, perhaps, in Alaska. I cannot say for sure, but judging by their elected officials one might just wonder.

On the other hand maybe they were the smart ones.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sure are!

The folks in the "red states"... IE: InterMountain West, Alaska, etc... They are the smartest ones out of the whole bunch!

They constantly campaign for less gov't intrusion, taxes, and what not... They are not dumb... They know the infrastructure they have was all built off the backs of the industrial northern states and California that sprang up during the Depresssion and War years and beyond... Where would Applachia, the InterMountain West be without rural electricfication and what not? I am sure they would have had an easy time bring hydroelectric and what not to market without the aid of others back in the day. :)

Again... They are not dumb... They are the "smart ones"... Letting everybody else buy the first rounds and now saying they gotta walk... What better way to get elected!

The true "welfare queens" are king!

no-where did I say they were stupid. Evil would be more apt, except i don't think they are willfully evil. they are simply ignorant and don't give a rat's ass about anything outside their own teeny-tiny little world.

which, by the way, they can have. typically they lead the country in high school pregnancy, dropouts, family poverty and more. they are the first to scream for help when it's THEM and the first to scream AGAINST help for anyone else.

seriously i just had to yuck it up a bit over hurricane ike. the people in houston were simply VILE over the katrina refugees. so was it just not divine intervention that houston got clobbered? maybe they'll be a little more understanding if it ever happens again.

nah.

no-where did I say they were stupid. Evil would be more apt, except i don't think they are willfully evil. they are simply ignorant and don't give a rat's ass about anything outside their own teeny-tiny little world.

which, by the way, they can have. typically they lead the country in high school pregnancy, dropouts, family poverty and more. they are the first to scream for help when it's THEM and the first to scream AGAINST help for anyone else.

seriously i just had to yuck it up a bit over hurricane ike. the people in houston were simply VILE over the katrina refugees. so was it just not divine intervention that houston got clobbered? maybe they'll be a little more understanding if it ever happens again.

nah.

It's refreshing to see someone on PPP who forms their opinions only after carefully considering both sides of issues. You'd only be a partisan hack if you simply resorted to makng broad generalizations about people you don't agree with. Bravo!

:thumbsup:

It's refreshing to see someone on PPP who forms their opinions only after carefully considering both sides of issues. You'd only be a partisan hack if you simply resorted to makng broad generalizations about people you don't agree with. Bravo!

:thumbsup:

I don't require anyone to agree with me. As a child my first experience in the South was a billboard in North Carolina featuring a Klansman on a white horse, with a burning cross, welcoming me to Klan country. Twenty-five years later I didn't think the South was any different from the rest of the country (in other worlds, if I thought of it at all it would be that it had changed for the better) with the obvious exception of the geography. My first day at work I followed a guy with a "I'd rather be shooting Yankees" bumper sticker. And it went downhill from there. I did meet some fine people there. I wish there were more of them. But if you look at the statistics for the deep south (Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Florida) you'd be hard-pressed to argue that they could qualify as third-world countries.

I do not consider the Carolinas, Virginia, WVA, Georgia, TN, KY etc in this same class. Yeah there are lots of rednecks and stuff, but those are everywhere.

And yeah, I don't agree with ignorant, narrow-minded bigots. Shame on me.

So the military isn't big and expensive? We aren't spending nearly 50% of the world's defense budget?

Not for nothing, but I've seen the military ruin a lot of people's lives and not just because they or a loved one died in combat.

He may be a tool and that statement may be pretty general but it's not wrong.

Now, see...this is a logical, rational well-thought out post.

I'd argue that his statement is wrong for the placement of blame. It's not the military itself that's forked things all up, but rather the civilian "leadership" of the military that's been an utter disaster. See: strategy in Vietnam/Iraq. Rather than allowing the military to do what it's supposed to do (that is, win wars as quickly as possible), the civilian leadership in the name of humane behavior puts shackles on the military in the name of protecting enemy civilians. All that does is prolong the conflict needlessly.

Out of curiosity, what kind of ruination of people's lives have you seen?

Rather than allowing the military to do what it's supposed to do (that is, win wars as quickly as possible), the civilian leadership in the name of humane behavior puts shackles on the military in the name of protecting enemy civilians. All that does is prolong the conflict needlessly.

So we could have stabilized Iraq earlier by killing more civilians?