(OT) question about Jury duty in NY

Frez

I have a friend who did not go to jury duty today. This is the second time this person just seems to blow it off.

My questions is.........can't they arrest you for this?

Oh, and the Bills really stink this year! :angry:

I have a friend who did not go to jury duty today. This is the second time this person just seems to blow it off.

Oh, and the Bills really stink this year!  :angry:

85347[/snapback]

Yes ,they will usually issue a bench warrant and when he thinks its blown over bang in ther slammer or at least before a judge.

Yes ,they will usually issue a bench warrant and when he thinks its blown over bang in ther slammer or at least before a judge.

85362[/snapback]

they wont come after him, but if he gets pulled over for speeding (for example) he will have a bench warrant, and instead of going home to a crappy dinner, he'll be going to the station with Officer Dick.

they wont come after him, but if he gets pulled over for speeding (for example) he will have a bench warrant, and instead of going home to a crappy dinner, he'll be going to the station with Officer Dick.

85365[/snapback]

Thats the truth...I've seen it done a lot.

Oh, and the Bills really stink this year!  :angry:

85347[/snapback]

Sure. a Class-A snot lady sent a nasty note to the authorities here in cincy about how they were screwing her out of vacation plans (one has but to show proof of money down and your duty is delayed) and away she went. She got arrested when she showed up back in town.

I think the law should include public spankings and slappings. :D

A couple weeks back, I went in for jury selection.

Took about 4-5 hours and cost me $6 to park. My company paid me for the whole day and I blew off the afternoon.

I figured I should do my civic duty, albeit reluctantly, and now they can't call me back for 6 years.

BFD - not worth avoiding!!

I served on a Grand Jury in Albany County this Spring. We served for 8 Fridays (plus an additional day) . There was no mandatory attendance if they had 16 of about 23 or 24 of us there. Some people just blew it off week after week. When we didn't have 16 bya little after 9am, they started calling the people who had not signed off the day (they allowed some leeway for people who needed a day or 2 off if they gave advanced notice since we were there around Easter time). One day, week 6 or so, we didn't have 16 yet and they rounded up one of the missing jurors and when he arrived, about 1/2 the jury started asking why this stranger had joined us. He hadn't been there since we were chosen! In Albany, they don't enforce Grand Jury duty very well. Since I was getting paid and parked in my usual spot since I work 2 blocks from the courthouse, I was happy to attend all 8 weeks and the extra day, which was because after a 1.5 hour wait one of our sessions was cancelled because we only had 15.