Edwards..... Discuss....

AnthonyF

I dont think the issue is Edwards. I think there a couple of issues one is the play calling. To me only giving Lynch 14 carries a game is an issue, he actually looked like he started to get into a zone at one point then it was nothing but passing. I also think they need to bring more pressure with the LB's. Our front 4 just are not getting it done, so I think lets start taking some chances. I think the O line looked better today but we played one hell of a D line today. Anyway there are my 2 cents.

Honestly, I couldn't agree more. Lynch was banging out a decent 3-4 yards every attempt. We got some mojo going and instead we start the 2nd half with shotgun shotgun shotgun shotgun. Christ everyone and their mother can figure out exactly what the bills are going to do based on their formation. The one time we ran a shotgun draw we got 8 yards. Did we do it ever again? Of course not. On short yardage situations, where Lynch is money, we were trying to be cute with little screens and dump passes instead of just handing him the ball. The defense in this game up until that last drive wasn't doing all that bad, and kept us in it. The play calling was more than predictable and stupid.

How many times did we line up in a singleback formation and run it to the left? How many times did we run a shotgun formation and try to pass over the middle? This has got to be fixed.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he has recovered from the concussion either. I've been reviewing the previous games, and only got to see the fourth quarter of this one, but he is tentative. he is holding the ball longer than he did BC. The pocket time is not as long sometimes, but he does not have the "quick release lately".

I am not a Losman proponent, but I honestly believe Trent needs time off to completely clear his head. Taking sacks and hits each game right now will not allow him to get better. Otherwise, we are going to lose to teams we shouldn't.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...1b-f7397458da66

I'll bring him up also. NE treated Losman like their B word and that was when the Bills actually had a good running back.

The fact that lynch blows is the cause of this slide. TE will be fine if ever given a reasonable cast of players to compliment him.

Bill NYC has forgotten more football knowlege then you will ever possess.

You actually think that McGahee was better than Marshawn. That should pretty much devalue the rest of your post, but then you also forget that JP's o-line made this year's line look like Emmitt Smith's Dallas line.

Tutan Reyes, Mike Gandy and Terrence Pennington. If you are having nightmares thinking about this year's line, rememvbering them should put you into a psychotic breakdown.

Yep I agree with this. We could not run Gilbride out of here fast enough, well he is doing a pretty good job with the Giants. Far be it for me to defend Fairchild could it possibly be he was not as dumb as everybody thought he was due to the fact that he was basically calling an offense with one hand tied behind his back because his qb options were a rookie 3rd rnd pick & a QB that still can not read a defense? Schonert is taking alot of the blame but you know what the players got to execute. Edwards hits Evans in stride instead of throwing it 3 yrds behind him Lee probably takes that in for 6. Is that Turk's fault that Edwards did not execute?

As far as Trent is concerned, everybody should of known he was going to have some rough moments this year. All young qbs do. He is going to be okay,. he just has to start playing more consistently. No running game is hurting him also.

There was a reason JP had a fine 2006 and a bad 2007 with an improved cast of characters. Thinking it was NOT Fairchild just doesn't fit the facts.

Trent has got a chance to be good. The bottom line is that regardless of the guesses, nobody yet knows what he will turn into. But you can NOT do to Trent what we did to JP. You MUST play Trent consistently. QBs hit a threshhold after the first year or two, and faster if they play early, where if they don't play consistently, they don't improve. The problem is that sometimes even if they DO play, they don't improve. There's not much you can do but play the guy consistently, put him in a good position to succeed, and see what happens. Trent has reached that threshhold. So has JP. The one who doesn't play won't improve till he starts to play again.

JP will not be a Bill next year. So you play Trent. Consistently. And you hope and pray a lot.

That's not entirely true. The offensive line played well during the second half of JP's best season. But I agree that overall the line has been quite bad. I'd like for the Bills to draft Mack with their first round pick. But a part of me thinks that instead they should use that pick on a DE, and go interior OL in rounds 2 - 3.

In 2006 the offensive line didn't play particularly well. JP made them look good, and so, briefly, did Fairchild, who in 2006 called a lot of rollouts and pockets that weren't directly back. He took advantage of JP's mobility and superb ability to throw on the run. He actually seemed to be better on the run than he was in the pocket. In 2007, no rollouts, all pockets were directly back, he closed down the playbook and JP's production plummeted even with a better o-line. Fairchild played to JP's strengths in 2006 and to his weaknesses in 2007 and also eliminated the ability to audible out of bad plays.

The Bills KNEW that o-line wasn't responsible for JP's production in 2006. That's why we dropped three of them in the off-season. Pennington is out of football and Gandy and Reyes, well, you know what happened there. And it was not good.

Yep I agree with this. We could not run Gilbride out of here fast enough, well he is doing a pretty good job with the Giants. Far be it for me to defend Fairchild could it possibly be he was not as dumb as everybody thought he was due to the fact that he was basically calling an offense with one hand tied behind his back because his qb options were a rookie 3rd rnd pick & a QB that still can not read a defense? Schonert is taking alot of the blame but you know what the players got to execute. Edwards hits Evans in stride instead of throwing it 3 yrds behind him Lee probably takes that in for 6. Is that Turk's fault that Edwards did not execute?

As far as Trent is concerned, everybody should of known he was going to have some rough moments this year. All young qbs do. He is going to be okay,. he just has to start playing more consistently. No running game is hurting him also.

Losman was a young qb when he lost his job and is still young.

Honestly, I couldn't agree more. Lynch was banging out a decent 3-4 yards every attempt. We got some mojo going and instead we start the 2nd half with shotgun shotgun shotgun shotgun. Christ everyone and their mother can figure out exactly what the bills are going to do based on their formation. The one time we ran a shotgun draw we got 8 yards. Did we do it ever again? Of course not. On short yardage situations, where Lynch is money, we were trying to be cute with little screens and dump passes instead of just handing him the ball. The defense in this game up until that last drive wasn't doing all that bad, and kept us in it. The play calling was more than predictable and stupid.

How many times did we line up in a singleback formation and run it to the left? How many times did we run a shotgun formation and try to pass over the middle? This has got to be fixed.

Couldn't agree more Either!!!

New OC Turk Schonert is calling the most idiotic plays at the most inopportune times. Like 3 times he called shotgun on 3rd down and one...all for incomplete passes.

He called shotgun on first down and then an I formation run on second and 10...makes no sense :rolleyes:

[/b]

Couldn't agree more Either!!!

New OC Turk Schonert is calling the most idiotic plays at the most inopportune times. Like 3 times he called shotgun on 3rd down and one...all for incomplete passes.

He called shotgun on first down and then an I formation run on second and 10...makes no sense :rolleyes:

I've watched plenty of OC's call a shotgun in 3rd and 1's and 2's (New England did vs. us) and are generally very successful. It should be easier to convert passing then running imo. There are a number of options and formations and movement that should make it easy.... While the play calling is bad, it has been Trent's decision making from the shotgun has been questionable.

I've watched plenty of OC's call a shotgun in 3rd and 1's and 2's (New England did vs. us) and are generally very successful. It should be easier to convert passing then running imo. There are a number of options and formations and movement that should make it easy.... While the play calling is bad, it has been Trent's decision making from the shotgun has been questionable.

That's true to a point, but when receivers aren't open and the defense knows the pass is coming, at some point the play calling has to be adjusted. From what I see, it looks like Trent gets frustrated in the 4th with the play calling and just tries to force something because nothing is developing. If we wanted to run a shotgun so much, why only one draw? I don't recall much, if any, play action passes either. My greater point is there is no diversity to the play calling, it is all horribly predictable.

I've watched plenty of OC's call a shotgun in 3rd and 1's and 2's (New England did vs. us) and are generally very successful. It should be easier to convert passing then running imo. There are a number of options and formations and movement that should make it easy.... While the play calling is bad, it has been Trent's decision making from the shotgun has been questionable abyssmal.

Fixed

QUOTE (AnthonyF @ Nov 12 2008, 07:35 AM) *

I've watched plenty of OC's call a shotgun in 3rd and 1's and 2's (New England did vs. us) and are generally very successful. It should be easier to convert passing then running imo. There are a number of options and formations and movement that should make it easy.... While the play calling is bad, it has been Trent's decision making from the shotgun has been questionable abyssmal.

Fixed

Funny :wub: Chicken or the egg..... If a Trent fan, nothing is his fault and it is all the OC or after affects of the concussion..... I equally blame Trent & OC.....

... Fairchild played to JP's strengths in 2006 and to his weaknesses in 2007 and also eliminated the ability to audible out of bad plays...

Why would Fairchild DELIBERATELY sabotage the incumbent starting QB?

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. It is also problematic that aside from Evans right now we do not have a competent WR. Moreover, it would help if we didn't have to keep the TEs to pass protect all the time -- and if Lynch wouldn't drop catchable balls so frequently.

Agreed. It is also problematic that aside from Evans right now we do not have a competent WR. Moreover, it would help if we didn't have to keep the TEs to pass protect all the time -- and if Lynch wouldn't drop catchable balls so frequently.

What happened to the slant, wr screen, having Evans go over the middle on a short third down, play action? Why can't more receivers play like Welker? Is it really that hard to throw a 2 yard pass on third down, or scramble for the first down?