yet another excersize related thread

The Poojer

the best exercise to work your midsection is plank and sideplank. Hold those for 3 minutes. When you master those, I have a few ways to make that exercise tougher

Here's a video of what Pete's describing. Also, the demonstrator is some fine eye candy. :thumbsup:

the best exercise to work your midsection is plank and sideplank. Hold those for 3 minutes. When you master those, I have a few ways to make that exercise tougher

Bridging exercises like planks are great but should be done with a rotational exercise. I do "corkscrews" with a medicine ball. IT IS A KILLER!!! Corkscrew

at a gym what is the best excersize machine to use to concentrate on working the midsection? is there one machine that is better or is there a combination of machines that should be used

Look up some workouts online and kind of build a routine around them. The key is to do a variety, not just a couple things. The good thing about AB workouts is that you don't NEED gym machines to do them, but you can use the machines to add to your workouts.

I do ab/obliques/lower back workouts (lower back shouldn't be ignored, but be careful if you start) 2 days a week. I have two workouts using mostly weighted exercises (machines/benches with weights, etc...) that I do on Mondays, and two using just body weight type workouts (crunches, planks, v-ups, etc...) that I do on Fridays. As with all of your muscles, you want to vary your workouts, and since abs/obliques are such a large muscle group, it's even more important IMO.

Also, if your using weighted machines, go light and do high reps. Do sets till they hurt....then a bit longer. For abs, you want to wear them out with long sets, not hurt yourself trying to add weight.

So in a simple answer to your question, no there is not one machine that is better than the rest. The important thing is to do the ones that are comfortable (this takes practice as well) and feel like they are wearing you out. Your abs should burn when you're done. (try the planks as Pete suggested....do for a full minute. That feeling you have when you stop should be felt at the end of every exercise)