NFL Coaches

BillsVet

We know the parity which exists in the NFL with respect to players and teams. But looking at some of the coaches in this league, it's no surprise there are few above the rest of the pack. I believe a successful HC must be a regular in the playoffs and have remained successful for more than three seasons. Additionally, a good HC has a good eye for talent, adapts in-game to their opponent, and finds the right ways to motivate their team each week.

In the AFC, Jeff Fisher, Tony Dungy, and Belichick to fit this criteria. Mike Tomlin needs a little more time, but seems to be another one.

With the NFC, probably only Tom Coughlin, Andy Reid, and Jon Gruden can be called above average or better coaches. Ken Whisenhunt and Mike McCarhty seem to be moving up, but I'd like to see them beyond 1-2 seasons.

I'm not a fan of Jauron, but it's not as though he's an exception within the NFL. There are guys like Brad Childress, Herm Edwards, and whoever's coaching the Raiders to look down on. Then again, none of those guys will ever have another shot to prove they're not good enough. They all are with historically bad franchises which are stuck in reverse.

One could say the downfall of this franchise was the lack of a HC. Phillips excelled with superior talent, but when given far less, G. Williams, Mularkey, and now DJ find ways to lose games.

i think mike shanahan has been a solid hc for denver.

Shanahan has those 2 SB wins, but lately he's been mediocre. What's worse, he has personnel control since Ted Sundquist was fired. That defense hasn't been good in a long time, and part of that's on Shanahan.

One could say the downfall of this franchise was the lack of a HC. Phillips excelled with superior talent, but when given far less, G. Williams, Mularkey, and now DJ find ways to lose games.

Mularkey seems to be doing OK as ATL's OC. They're 5 -3, and their offensive numbers are decent with rookie Ryan at QB. Certainly aided by Michael Turner's fine season so far.

Mularkey seems to be doing OK as ATL's OC. They're 5 -3, and their offensive numbers are decent with rookie Ryan at QB. Certainly aided by Michael Turner's fine season so far.

MM might be a fine OC, but I think his chance at HC duties is over. How many guys get a second chance...oh, wait.

I don't think Greggo will get another HC job either. Some guys are find coordinators, but can't translate that into a HC role. Wade Phillips is another. Unfortunately, we've had all three as HC since 1998.

I'm confused and apologize in advance.

Are you saying we should be happy with a mediocre Dick HC?

Beerball, don't put words in my mouth. :thumbsup:

MM might be a fine OC, but I think his chance at HC duties is over. How many guys get a second chance...oh, wait.

I don't think Greggo will get another HC job either. Some guys are find coordinators, but can't translate that into a HC role. Wade Phillips is another. Unfortunately, we've had all three as HC since 1998.

Yep. I didn't like it when some folks labeled Mularkey as a quitter when he left the Bills. They stripped his staff - he just saw the handwriting on the wall and left with his honor intact.

Yep. I didn't like it when some folks labeled Mularkey as a quitter when he left the Bills. They stripped his staff - he just saw the handwriting on the wall and left with his honor intact.

MM wasn't ready. He had kinda of a quick rise into the HC ranks, and as a result needed more experience.

He's going with what he's got in ATL, a young talented QB, Roddy White at WR, and a good RB in Turner. The OL is better there, and ATL is more than respectable.

The Bills front office, regardless of it being led by TD, Marv, or Russ, never seems to time their coaching decisions right. Greggo was a mistake, as was MM at the time. Now DJ comes in with experience, but not much more. The Bills biggest mistake has been the lack of a talented coach, regardless of previous experience.

Mike Tomlin is someone I like, and he'd only been a DC with Minnesota. Same for Del Rio. We just never find the right up and coming guy for a HC.