Game notes

MattyT

+ How pathetic is it when one of the bread-and-butter plays on offense is a pass in the flats to your FB? Ugh.

+ London Fletcher is making it very difficult for me to continue liking his style of play. I know that the penalty was BS, but he is always involved with these incredibly stupid penalties irregardless. Do we need two captains at LB (Spikes and Fletch)? Maybe we should think about handing it over to Pat Williams or Schobel. Probably Schobel since we know he'll be with us for a while. Fletch is a great defender, but a terrible example.

+ When Willis gave up on the INT return....say what you will about potential injuries or blocking or whatever, but something about that play killed me. I was waiting for him to kick in the afterburners and run the bastard down but..well you know the rest. I need to hear from Willis himself about why he quit on that one.

+ I keyed on Mike Williams for most of the game and he was nothing but a disappointment. He gets beaten to the inside with regularity. He gets beaten to the outside and then his best defense is to shove the guy past Bledsoe, which then only sets the defender up to come from behind and knock both Drew and the ball out. I don't understand it. How can a guy this young and this big be so useless. Stand your man up! It's called leverage and gravity is in your favor...take advantage of it. I have always pulled for this guy, but now I'm just pissed at his play.

+ Spikes played his ass off the whole game. If the Super Bowl were on the line for one play that required a one-on-one tackle, there's no one in the NFL that I would rather have out there than Takeo.

+ McGee looked like an All-pro in coverage. He was on everyone's back and meddling with almost every pass. Even on the long pass to Travis Taylor he had excellent coverage and just couldn't pull the ball out of the guys hands. I think McGee has won the second CB spot. When Vincent comes back I would like to see him play FS. That leads me to my next point.

+ Izell Reese is not sufficient at FS. Why? 1) Missed tackles and doesn't do much in run support. 2) Missed an easy opportunity for a pick on a long pass into the end zone. If you can't do either of these things very well then there isn't much else for you to do. Vincent can fix us at this spot.

+ Josh Reed is still Josh Reed. Isn't Terrence Wilkins a free agent?

+ I finally got my wish! Travis and McGahee in the backfield at the same time. Unfortunately it resulted in a horribly orchestrated play that resulted in a pick by, of all people, Deion Friggin' Sanders. My blissfull feeling was quickly replaced by vomitus.

+ Hey Losman...how's the leg? That's all I want to say about that.

I agree with just about all points Matty T.

I am a MW supporter generally but was also dissapointed by his play yesterday. Although I found it very diffucult to "key on him" yesterday due to the nature of the television broadcast. I was trying to determine if the TE was at all involved in some of the mistakes I was attributing to MW just to be fair because honestly he's played pretty well THIS season up until yesterday.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

You think MW has played "pretty well"up until yesterday ?

You have an awfully low expectation of him then. He has barely been serviceable and he's supposed to be the future leader of this line.

+ McGee looked like an All-pro in coverage. He was on everyone's back and meddling with almost every pass. Even on the long pass to Travis Taylor he had excellent coverage and just couldn't pull the ball out of the guys hands. I think McGee has won the second CB spot. When Vincent comes back I would like to see him play FS. That leads me to my next point.

+ Izell Reese is not sufficient at FS. Why? 1) Missed tackles and doesn't do much in run support. 2) Missed an easy opportunity for a pick on a long pass into the end zone. If you can't do either of these things very well then there isn't much else for you to do. Vincent can fix us at this spot.

Whether they should move Vincent to FS depends on whether Thomas and Greer are capable nickel and dime CB's. If the answer is yes, make the move and sell it to Troy as a move that will improve the team AND lengthen his career.

+ Hey Losman...how's the leg?

Probably good enough to get snapped in half again behind this O-line and with these players.

painful, isn't it?

mike williams was a miss by donahoe and his scouting dept. No question about it. Not even Orlando Pace, Walter Jones and Jon Ogden were drafted that high. He's nowhere near their level.

He's playing like a 5th round pick project. Any arguments?

willis shouldn't have quit, but he had the worst possible angle on the play. He was directly behind the guy, who had two guys protecting him down the field. If he had run him down and torn a hammy, we'd be asking why he bothered. There's a lot of talk about that, but there are bigger fish to fry. The Line this front office assembled, and a QB who after 12 years in the league still makes throws that journeyman bench quarterbacks know you can't throw.

Drew is a liability to this team, and if you're reading this and denying it, just look at his numbers since 2000. Look at all the data, including win/loss record, rating, TD/INT ratio, completion %, the whole lot.

Hey Nod, no need to insult the 5th rounders. :-)

In my opinion, the first series in close to the Ravens end zone, MW cost us 4 points when he moved and picked up the 5 yd penalty. We went from being at like the 3 to being at the 8. Also, I believe the expectation with a guy like that is that in short yardage you automatically go over him and get 2 yards. It should be a gimme, except he can't power block. And speed rushers KILL him

Hey Nod, no need to insult the 5th rounders.  :-)

In my opinion, the first series in close to the Ravens end zone, MW cost us 4 points when he moved and picked up the 5 yd penalty.  We went from being at like the 3 to being at the 8.  Also, I believe the expectation with a guy like that is that in short yardage you automatically go over him and get 2 yards.  It should be a gimme, except he can't power block.  And speed rushers KILL him

84668[/snapback]

Just to clarify: Pace was the first overall pick in the draft and Ogden was drafted in the same spot as Williams, fourth overall.

painful, isn't it?

mike williams was a miss by donahoe and his scouting dept. No question about it. Not even Orlando Pace, Walter Jones and Jon Ogden were drafted that high. He's nowhere near their level.

84643[/snapback]

Agreed, and in fact I've been saying this for over a year, MW sucks! I think it's safe to put the excuses to rest, including 'give him time', 'he'll get better', 'mcnally will turn the corner with him', etc.

We went from being at like the 3 to being at the 8.

I don't care. You need to get it in from the 8 on a massive turnover off the home team's first possession. I can't help but feel like evertime we get to the 10 yard line our quarterback becomes useless.

painful, isn't it?

84643[/snapback]

I'd love to pile on,

but right now I'm too busy bashing Bledsoe to get caught up in this.

willis shouldn't have quit, but he had the worst possible angle on the play. He was directly behind the guy, who had two guys protecting him down the field. If he had run him down and torn a hammy, we'd be asking why he bothered. There's a lot of talk about that, but there are bigger fish to fry. The Line this front office assembled, and a QB who after 12 years in the league still makes throws that journeyman bench quarterbacks know you can't throw.

84643[/snapback]

I usually find my opinions fall in with yours Nod, but in this case I disagree. Think how great it would have been for Willis to run that clown down, ala Don Beebe? The game was still wide open then, and Willis could have shown some heart on that one. Not that it would have mattered, seeing the ineptitude of our offense. I just wish he would have splattered that showboating fool...