About Congress' 9% Approval Rating

Doesn't seem to be bothering the Democrats one bit :angry: I wonder if the Rump Republicans will "reach across the aisle" or hunker down and spit venom at anything the Dems attempt to do.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/03/us/polit...amp;oref=slogin

“We are deep in the red areas,” Representative Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, said on Sunday. “We are competing now in districts George Bush carried by large margins in 2004.”

What seems especially striking about this year’s Congressional races is that Democrats appear to have solidified their gains from the 2006 midterm elections and are pushing beyond their traditional urban turf into what once were safe Republican strongholds, creating a struggle for the suburbs.

Doesn't seem to be bothering the Democrats one bit :rolleyes: I wonder if the Rump Republicans will "reach across the aisle" or hunker down and spit venom at anything the Dems attempt to do.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/03/us/polit...amp;oref=slogin

I know it's hard to accept but Bush ran the country into the freakin' ground in 8 years. Is it such a shock that people are voting Democrat? I mean if your mechanic did to you car what Bush did to the USA, would you hire him again?

PTR

I know it's hard to accept but Bush ran the country into the freakin' ground in 8 years. Is it such a shock that people are voting Democrat? I mean if your mechanic did to you car what Bush did to the USA, would you hire him again?

PTR

"Ran in to the ground"? Use hyperbole much? :rolleyes:

Congress' approval rating is entirely due to Congress' inability to come through on any of their promises to undo what the Bush administration did. They got control of both houses by making promises they knew the couldn't and wouldn't keep...and failed to realize that the American public isn't quite as stupid as they first though.

"Ran in to the ground"? Use hyperbole much? :rolleyes:

Congress' approval rating is entirely due to Congress' inability to come through on any of their promises to undo what the Bush administration did. They got control of both houses by making promises they knew the couldn't and wouldn't keep...and failed to realize that the American public isn't quite as stupid as they first though.

And why didn't they come through? Because they were blocked by Bush and the Repubs in Congress. Thus the importance of a fillibuster proof majority in the Senate. Probably won't happen, but it would be nice.

And why didn't they come through? Because they were blocked by Bush and the Repubs in Congress. Thus the importance of a fillibuster proof majority in the Senate. Probably won't happen, but it would be nice.

I would be nice to actually be able to have some meaningful legislation pass and to also know exactly who to blame if sh-- goes bad for once.

PTR

So wait, McCain is Bush?

Your logic if flawed, and makes no sense.

But again, that is how libs are. Flawed, and make no sense.

Paul Krugman is on about this. He's asking what the Republicans will look like after the election. He claims that its mostly the moderates that are getting beaten and that what will be left of the GOP will be the most Conservatives members. Will they just turn in the obstruction party? Will it be Rush Limbo's party?

Krugman:

But the G.O.P.’s long transformation into the party of the unreasonable right, a haven for racists and reactionaries, seems likely to accelerate as a result of the impending defeat.

This will pose a dilemma for moderate conservatives. Many of them spent the Bush years in denial, closing their eyes to the administration’s dishonesty and contempt for the rule of law. Some of them have tried to maintain that denial through this year’s election season, even as the McCain-Palin campaign’s tactics have grown ever uglier. But one of these days they’re going to have to realize that the G.O.P. has become the party of intolerance.

Yes, the Democratic majority has been hamstrung by those EEEEEEVIILLLLLL Republicans. Like the first Bailout bill...when Pelosi couldn't even deliver her own simple Democratic majority. Face the facts: your Democratic congress is simply populated by idiots.

(Before you bother calling me a right-wing shill...I voted Cardin and van Hollen last time around. And I'll vote van Hollen again. He's a good rep. Doesn't mean this Democratic congress doesn't suck, though).

PTR

So your in favor of re-inflating the fraudulent housing bubble and everything that goes with it. This is what the dem's and their leader, The Shrub, have in fact started to do. Think they'll put the Barney Franks in prison? Didn't think so, thanks for playing along.

Good luck tuesday, and the many tuesdays to come, you'll need it.

Paul Krugman is on about this. He's asking what the Republicans will look like after the election. He claims that its mostly the moderates that are getting beaten and that what will be left of the GOP will be the most Conservatives members. Will they just turn in the obstruction party? Will it be Rush Limbo's party?

Krugman:

Sad, but true, the GOP will turn more conservative, not less, as a result of this thumping. The only positive is that most of the Dems elected to Congress in the last election (and maybe this one) were moderate, center Dems. The far left may be in authority, but any wild new gov't programs would threaten the new moderates far more than the far left. That, sadly, is the only check on the far left that will be left after this election.

Too bad the moderates of both parties could not form the third party of my dreams and marginalize both the far right and left. Now, the moderates are the proverbial political football beholden to the raving lunatics on both sides.

Yes, the Democratic majority has been hamstrung by those EEEEEEVIILLLLLL Republicans. Like the first Bailout bill...when Pelosi couldn't even deliver her own simple Democratic majority. Face the facts: your Democratic congress is simply populated by idiots.

(Before you bother calling me a right-wing shill...I voted Cardin and van Hollen last time around. And I'll vote van Hollen again. He's a good rep. Doesn't mean this Democratic congress doesn't suck, though).

Well if Americans are so upset with the Democrat agenda in Congress that the Repubs have blocked, then we should expect the Repubs to make gains in the election. But if Americans want to give the Democrat agenda a better chance of passing, then we should see Democrat gains.

Sad, but true, the GOP will turn more conservative, not less, as a result of this thumping. The only positive is that most of the Dems elected to Congress in the last election (and maybe this one) were moderate, center Dems. The far left may be in authority, but any wild new gov't programs would threaten the new moderates far more than the far left. That, sadly, is the only check on the far left that will be left after this election.

Too bad the moderates of both parties could not form the third party of my dreams and marginalize both the far right and left. Now, the moderates are the proverbial political football beholden to the raving lunatics on both sides.

I'm a liberal and proud of it, but I think this thumping, if it happens, will turn the GOP more conservative in a good way, more back to its roots, which is at least a sound theory. I don't agree with it too much, but at least it makes sense. What they have become doesn't make sense, and doesn't make thinking conservatives happy at all. I think there will be a lot of finger-pointing for quite some time, but ultimately the conservatives will need to go back to the drawing board and their roots. That will help their party and the country as a whole a lot.

I HOPE that Sarah Palin becomes the face of the party, because it will set them back even further, IMO. The one they should be looking to is Bobby Jindal. That guy is good, and he would scare me (meaning I'd respect him and think he could be the best opponent). They need to go back to the future, with a 21st Century slant.

The good thing, for conservatives, is that they will have at least eight years to re-invent themselves. :huh:

PTR

Tell me how Congress stopped the war, something they promised. Instead they continued and pushed the destruction of personal liberties that Bush went forward with. You're a homeristic lemming of gargantuan proportions.

I'm a liberal and proud of it, but I think this thumping, if it happens, will turn the GOP more conservative in a good way, more back to its roots, which is at least a sound theory. I don't agree with it too much, but at least it makes sense. What they have become doesn't make sense, and doesn't make thinking conservatives happy at all. I think there will be a lot of finger-pointing for quite some time, but ultimately the conservatives will need to go back to the drawing board and their roots. That will help their party and the country as a whole a lot.

I HOPE that Sarah Palin becomes the face of the party, because it will set them back even further, IMO. The one they should be looking to is Bobby Jindal. That guy is good, and he would scare me (meaning I'd respect him and think he could be the best opponent). They need to go back to the future, with a 21st Century slant.

The good thing, for conservatives, is that they will have at least eight years to re-invent themselves. :huh:

Maybe only 2 years. Getting what you wish for, a liberal majority, is not what this country needs in bad economic environments that currently exist. I know that sounds partisan, but I've never seen a nation flourish economically on the scale we have with liberal policies. Our biggest threat is China, and while they continue to take over manufacturing, people here think that white-collar workers will save the day somehow with ballooning trade-deficits.

As far as the 2 years are concerned, look at what happened to Clinton and a liberal majority, the American people didn't want it immediately as it was causing huge economic and social issues that were silent under GOP presidencies.

I hope Palin is NOT the face of this movement. Give me back a younger Buchanan and we can talk.

Most of your points are accurate though, but I want a real conservative who wants to slash "programs" and promote state rights.

Maybe only 2 years. Getting what you wish for, a liberal majority, is not what this country needs in bad economic environments that currently exist. I know that sounds partisan, but I've never seen a nation flourish economically on the scale we have with liberal policies. Our biggest threat is China, and while they continue to take over manufacturing, people here think that white-collar workers will save the day somehow with ballooning trade-deficits.

Ya, we should stick with the market worshipping, big debt building policies

a-- hole

Well if Americans are so upset with the Democrat agenda in Congress that the Repubs have blocked, then we should expect the Repubs to make gains in the election. But if Americans want to give the Democrat agenda a better chance of passing, then we should see Democrat gains.

Yeah, because the electorate is just that logical.

But I know you're being purposely stupid, just to play devil's advocate.

Ya, we should stick with the market worshipping, big debt building policies

a-- hole

Idiot,

I'm not a big debt guy, I want to slash and burn most of all the programs that allows you not to work and post here. The free market is not the cause of this mess, but subsidies for Wall Street. Compare the crash of 1987 and now and ask what was the difference, do the same in 1920 and 1929 and tell me the difference.

Bubbles always happen in a free market, but they become devastating when subsidized. You're just are clueless.

Jacka**