A Last Push To Deregulate

of course every outgoing President tries to pass as much of their agenda as possible before vacating the White House, but the Bush administration is setting new lows in many areas. This smells of Cheney, now we know what he's been doing lately...

WaPo describes a wide range of fed regulations that will weaken consumer protections and the environment.

The new rules would be among the most controversial deregulatory steps of the Bush era and could be difficult for his successor to undo. Some would ease or lift constraints on private industry, including power plants, mines and farms.

Those and other regulations would help clear obstacles to some commercial ocean-fishing activities, ease controls on emissions of pollutants that contribute to global warming, relax drinking-water standards and lift a key restriction on mountaintop coal mining.

clearly it's not all bad and there's some regulations that didn't make sense, but they're going way, way too far this time

Why do I get the feeling that the President has power that few people in this country actually understand.

Where does he get the power to do this stuff? I mean the article says Clinton did the same thing. I do not get it, I thought Congress had to decide these things, and he just approved them. Perhaps I don't even know what the Presidents job is supposed to be. I really thought it was to "enforce laws, treaties, and court rulings".

of course every outgoing President tries to pass as much of their agenda as possible before vacating the White House, but the Bush administration is setting new lows in many areas. This smells of Cheney, now we know what he's been doing lately...

WaPo describes a wide range of fed regulations that will weaken consumer protections and the environment.

clearly it's not all bad and there's some regulations that didn't make sense, but they're going way, way too far this time

Every President does a crapload of pardons on their last day. I can't wait to see Dubya's pardon list. :wallbash:

He should pardon those two border guards that shot the drug dealer in the side of the ass. Those guys were railroaded.

Clinton takes the cake. Many of his crooked friends, his brother-in-law and Puerto Rican terrorists.

Why do I get the feeling that the President has power that few people in this country actually understand.

Where does he get the power to do this stuff? I mean the article says Clinton did the same thing. I do not get it, I thought Congress had to decide these things, and he just approved them. Perhaps I don't even know what the Presidents job is supposed to be. I really thought it was to "enforce laws, treaties, and court rulings".

So is it safe to assume that you "got it" when Clinton did it? Or are you actually trying to be objective here?

Every President does a crapload of pardons on their last day. I can't wait to see Dubya's pardon list. :wallbash:

HA! Buddy, Clinton's pardon list was the all time worst of the 20th century. Don't bother, because you ain't ever gonna win on this one. If anything all you are going to accomplish is remind everyone how bad Clinton's was, so I'd leave it alone. Any further discussion from you on this and you risk turning this thread into a "Steely Dan Rettata Revival".

He should pardon those two border guards that shot the drug dealer in the side of the ass. Those guys were railroaded.

Absolutely. Talk about "the shaft", a "giant dick-over"...even Al Gore supporters know that this is worse....

PAY ATTENTION FOLKS! The article says nothing of pardons. This involves regulation policies.

Yeah, but you are forgetting, it's your pal who started the distraction....so? Where's your acrimony? I know, it's all my fault, right?

Every President does a crapload of pardons on their last day. I can't wait to see Dubya's pardon list. :lol:

I "Scooter" Libby

He should also place Colin Powell and Richard Armitage under investigation for hiding the truth from the Special Prosecutor that railroaded him.

I "Scooter" Libby

He should also place Colin Powell and Richard Armitage under investigation for hiding the truth from the Special Prosecutor that railroaded him.

He got "railroaded" into lying? He'll get a pardon for taking the fall for the real person who should have gone to jail; Dick Cheney.

So is it safe to assume that you "got it" when Clinton did it? Or are you actually trying to be objective here?

No! I have never heard of the president having such abilities or doing such things before. It frightens me that any President can have such power, Clinton, Obama, or Bush. This completely betrays my understanding of the powers of the Presidential office. I'm not cool with it, and I do not understand why I seem to be the only one. The rest of you seem to want to just be all partisan and stuff.

No! I have never heard of the president having such abilities or doing such things before. It frightens me that any President can have such power, Clinton, Obama, or Bush. This completely betrays my understanding of the powers of the Presidential office. I'm not cool with it, and I do not understand why I seem to be the only one. The rest of you seem to want to just be all partisan and stuff.

Coming from you that's pretty !@#$in funny.

In some cases, Bush's regulations reflect new interpretations of language in federal laws. In other cases, such as several new counterterrorism initiatives, they reflect new executive branch decisions in areas where Congress -- now out of session and focused on the elections -- left the president considerable discretion.

Seems it is within the executive's powers. My impression (admittedly uninformed) with respect to "regulations" was that they were basically edicts by the executive (as opposed to legislation from Congress, or judicial decisions from the Supreme Court), so the White House would be well within their rights to "regulate" whatever they want within the confines of the law and the court's decisions. Which seems the case here.

Which is not to say you shouldn't be frightened by it. Personally, I consider it less an abuse of power than I do simply a bloated federal bureacuracy perpetuating its own power,as bureaucracies are wont to do.

Coming from you that's pretty !@#$in funny.

Ya, you'd never guess I usually vote republican. (true story).

DC Tom..

This is interesting, I don't have time to read up on this, but want to. I will one of these days. I do not undertand how congress being out of session gives the President more powers. And wtf is congress doing paying to the election, does our government really just stop functioning right before every election?

Something is fishy.

How about when Clinton took all that clean burning coal away by creating the Escalade Staircase (don't know the correct name) park in Utah. A source of clean coal we had to turn to was his buddy Riaddy in Indonesia. Just did it with the stroke of apen.

How about when Clinton took all that clean burning coal away by creating the Escalade Staircase (don't know the correct name) park in Utah. A source of clean coal we had to turn to was his buddy Riaddy in Indonesia. Just did it with the stroke of apen.

Ya! Wtf! (It's Escalante)

.. here check this out clean burning coal

Ok really I have no idea.. maybe it was Clinton abusing power... or just having to much power to beging with. But whatever the reasons, you'll have trouble ever convincing me any move that protects mother nature is bad, given the way we rape her.

Ya! Wtf! (It's Escalante)

.. here check this out clean burning coal

Ok really I have no idea.. maybe it was Clinton abusing power... or just having to much power to beging with. But whatever the reasons, you'll have trouble ever convincing me any move that protects mother nature is bad, given the way we rape her.

You know, though...you want energy, you're going to have pollution. Even solar, even wind, even biofuels (especially biofuels). Even hydrogen fuel cells (yes, water vapor is a pollutant - and a greenhouse gas). The environmental movement has been so completely hijacked by the anti-carbon movement that no one pays any attention any more to the fact that there's more to pollution than CO2. "Clean" coal is only an oxymoron if you're an ignorant absolutist; anyone else recognizes that "clean" is a relative term in the context, because TANSTAAFL.

But neither your post nor my response speaks to Wacka's point that the president has quite a few different ways changing regulations, even to the point of making end-runs around it.