Roscoe returning Kickoffs

Are you joking? It's kick returning. It's not quarterback. You got it or you don't. I don't know what you're waiting for, but being a rookie doesn't mean anything when it comes to kick returning.

Experience means something at every position. And who's to say he doesn't "got it"? Like I said, he ranks 14th out of 34 (of course, that's the portion of my post that you chose to ignore). It's not exceptional, but I'll take it. I don't know where your "anybody but McKelvin" approach comes from.

Are you joking? It's kick returning. It's not quarterback. You got it or you don't. I don't know what you're waiting for, but being a rookie doesn't mean anything when it comes to kick returning.

Couldn't you say that about all positions?

Oline? You just stand there and block guys from coming through

WR? You just run and try to get open to catch the ball

RB? You just take the ball and run with it

QB? You just take the ball and hand it off or throw it

Punter? You just kick the ball as far as you can

Theres more to any position then most of us think to play in the NFL and be good. Talent is one thing, and McKelvin has proved in college he has the ability/talent to do it, theres an adjustment to going from college to the NFL, sometimes it takes a while to adjust to the tougher game no matter what position you are playing

McKelvin looked GREAT in preseason on kickoff returns. The only reason I can think of as to why he's not doing so well now is MAYBE he is being "over-coached". Maybe they should just put him back there and say "Go -- run wild". Maybe he's getting overwhelmed with waiting for the blockers to get aligned or something -- I don't know -- he's just looking hesitant. The guy has raw talent and the coaches just need to let him run with it.

Stop for a bit, and ask yourself how many of the players on those kick-coverage squads made their teams' 53-man rosters.

Then consider the shakeup in the blocking both for McKelvin and for McGee, who averaged a pedestrian 20.7 yards per return before the switch was made.

No, McKelvin hasn't exactly looked scintillating so far. Some of that's on him, some of it's not. Overall, as pointed out above, a 23.8-yard average isn't bad ...

Stop for a bit, and ask yourself how many of the players on those kick-coverage squads made their teams' 53-man rosters.

Then consider the shakeup in the blocking both for McKelvin and for McGee, who averaged a pedestrian 20.7 yards per return before the switch was made.

No, McKelvin hasn't exactly looked scintillating so far. Some of that's on him, some of it's not. Overall, as pointed out above, a 23.8-yard average isn't bad ...

He should be doing a much better job returning kicks for a #1 pick in the draft and this was suppose to be his specialty. I think he's a couple blocks away from taking one to the house but when will he be able to sniff it out and get it done? He reminds me of Russel Copeland on the returns.

Excellent point! A lot of those guys are not playing in the NFL today. Nevertheless, he just looks so much more hesitant out there. He didn't get slower. I'm sure he's facing tougher players on the field during returns, but it's almost as though he has lost the confidence he had in the preseason. He's still capable of being a GREAT returner and he can STILL burn the other guys on the field today.

Experience means something at every position. And who's to say he doesn't "got it"? Like I said, he ranks 14th out of 34 (of course, that's the portion of my post that you chose to ignore). It's not exceptional, but I'll take it. I don't know where your "anybody but McKelvin" approach comes from.

How about him being 14th out of 34th!!! Wooo. I'm sorry you're right. I don't know what I was thinking complaining that our current Kick Returner is a significant downside to the one we had last year (who is still on the team).

How about him being 14th out of 34th!!! Wooo. I'm sorry you're right. I don't know what I was thinking complaining that our current Kick Returner is a significant downside to the one we had last year (who is still on the team).

And injured. And averaging just 20.7 yards per return before he was replaced. Why don't you do your homework before you start flapping your gums?

I like 'scoe better on punts like most, but I think he could be just as lethal on kicks. He's quick, agile and "darty" enough to avoid a clean hit, I think. So injury would not be my concern.

Of course a healthy McGee is as dangerous as any on kicks. He's fast and knows how to find his blocks.

McKelvin has looked hesitant, he slows down and almost stops a lot. He needs to find his blocks and then just burn downfield. It's almost like he's waiting for something, but it never comes. I guess I would liken it to his being a rookie. Sort of a deer caught in headlights. He'll get over it.

Man I still remember the days when we had London Fletcher back there during the Mularkey Era. I know he was there to block for the return man, but I remember when he grabbed a couple kicks and returned them for little to no yardage.

I think McKelvin will get a KO return this year......I do miss McGee however. And im not sure how Roscoe would fair on KO returns.

Actually, Fletcher did very well those few times he got the ball. I remember him back there very well, too, usually blocking, but when he got it there was no side to side, he just went vertical and tried to hit a gap. He actually did very well.

EDIT: Found his stats. 2004 was the only year he ran back kicks in Buffalo. He was 4 / 86, an average of 21.5, which is really really good when you're catching balls they're kicking too short to get to the returner. London was catching those balls around the 20 yard-line. He was terrific.

Link: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/players...539&team=28

are you freaking serious? man what a ridiculous comment on roscoe.

i'll guarantee you one thing he would be 10 times better than mckelvin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please explain to me why that's a ridiculous comment. to his career he has 16 kick returns for 387 yards.

McKelvin is going to break one this year no doubt about it...He was really close on one during the Miami game, and he's had a few others during the season, where he's just needed one more block. He has been hesitant a bunhc of times as well, and he ends up just running into a pile. Dude has great top-end speed, not really quick...but he gets to that top-end speed really fast!! :wallbash:

And injured. And averaging just 20.7 yards per return before he was replaced. Why don't you do your homework before you start flapping your gums?

Good one. I forgot that he was injured recently. Why didn't I do my homework? Try singing to the tune of two time all-pro kick returner, with six career KR TDs (second in team history). I guess you're right though. I'm an idiot who needs to do his homework and sit and wait for the rookie to figure out the wedge.

are you freaking serious? man what a ridiculous comment on roscoe.

i'll guarantee you one thing he would be 10 times better than mckelvin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 times better? WOW. Well, if Parish is going to average over 200 yards per return, I'm sold.