Buffalo News Article - D-line, sacks, Schobel, etc.

San-O

Jerry Sullivan piece.

Gets it just about right I think.

I never understood signing Kelsay and Schobel to those huge contracts. Big mistake by Marv

IMO, which the Bills are now stuck with and probably will end up causing cap issues even with the

"cap to cash" b.s.

Why on earth would you sign Kelsay to a huge deal like that? Like he's going to get away?

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/478559.html

Flame away.

:lol:

To be fair, Overdorf handled/s contract negotiation and cap issues. Marv had nothing to do with that side of things.

There's a sizable portion of the cap locked into the DL, and not much to show for it. The Stroud acquisition hasn't helped the DE situation wrt QB pressure. This should be one of the priorities in the coming offseason.

To be fair, Overdorf handled/s contract negotiation and cap issues. Marv had nothing to do with that side of things.

I'm sure someone made an executive decision to re-sign those guys or not to. Marv was the GM, or person who led the personnel side of the house.

I love Marv to death, but giving him credit for things that worked out (like Peters' last deal) must be tempered with criticizing the front office which he led, for moves like Kelsay's deal. As much as his position wasn't a classic GM type role, the buck should stop with one person, and the front office made the call to re-sign Kelsay, almost necessitating giving Schobel big money.

I never understood signing Kelsay and Schobel to those huge contracts. Big mistake by Marv

IMO, which the Bills are now stuck with and probably will end up causing cap issues even with the

"cap to cash" b.s.

Schobel was averaging 10 sacks a year when they signed him to the extension, including 14 the season before. Even if he's been disappointing since, the contract made sense at the time.

Kelsay, on the other hand, I can't defend.

Bruce Smith is the last DE that we've had who required 2 blockers. I cant recall the last time I saw Kelsay or Schobel double teamed. They both only have one pass rush move also - loop outside. When they try spinning back in ala Dwight Freeney, they are neutralized due to their lack of quickness. Also, neither are strong enough for the opposing LT/RT to take a bull rush seriously - leaving our high motor DEs with only one move: loop wide outside. We need a beast at DE, case closed...

Well, they have eight sacks in six games since then. They’re on pace for 30. But if you listen to the coaches, it’s no big deal. Perry Fewell said he isn’t disappointed with the pass rush. Dick Jauron said it’s OK. Of course, Jauron would stand there and tell you everything was OK if the podium was on fire.

Haha I like the last sentence