I like this team, I really do

Tolstoy

Sorry if this has already been pointed out:

I saw that Bruce Smith was nominated for the Hall, and I was led to reflect on how dominant he was. There were games that he would singlehandedly take-over. He was so disruptive that he would singlehandedly destroy an offense, even when they triple-teamed him (and because they triple-teamed him). Speaking of those Buffalo Bills, Thurman could bust out and run for 150 yards, and catch another 150. Kelly could throw for 400 yards and 3 TD's (to Reed) routinely. Kent Hull and Wolford were pro-bowlers on the O-line.

What disturbs me:

This edition of the Bills is a very good football team, but it arguably does not have one legitimate star, not one. Last year I would have said Jason Peters, but not at this moment. Evans is close, but not a star (yet). Lynch might get there some day, as might Paul P., Edwards and a few others.

Does the 2008 Buffalo Bills have one pro-bowler, much less a hall of famer? If not, what does that mean?

I saw that Bruce Smith was nominated for the Hall, and I was led to reflect on how dominant he was. There were games that he would singlehandedly take-over. He was so disruptive that he would singlehandedly destroy an offense, even when they triple-teamed him (and because they triple-teamed him). Speaking of those Buffalo Bills, Thurman could bust out and run for 150 yards, and catch another 150. Kelly could throw for 400 yards and 3 TD's (to Reed) routinely. Kent Hull and Wolford were pro-bowlers on the O-line.

..and if Levy were here now, he'd consume the Patsies* with fireballs from his arse!

What disturbs me:

This edition of the Bills is a very good football team, but it arguably does not have one legitimate star, not one. Last year I would have said Jason Peters, but not at this moment. Evans is close, but not a star (yet). Lynch might get there some day, as might Paul P., Edwards and a few others.

Does the 2008 Buffalo Bills have one pro-bowler, much less a hall of famer? If not, what does that mean?

I agree that the lack of stars is disturbing. An elite football team typically needs elite difference makers. I put them into three categories. A category 3 difference maker is not necessarily better or worse than a category 1 or 2 difference maker:

1. A guy is a difference maker if he can be productive while using up two or more of the other team's players. As you pointed out, Bruce Smith still produced even when he was getting double teamed. Guys like Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice still produced even when getting double covered.

2. A guy is a difference maker if he cancels out a category 1 difference maker. You can put a Tony Boselli one-on-one with Bruce and be just fine. You can put a Deion Sanders one-on-one with a Jerry Rice, and know that things aren't going to get out of control. These are category 2 difference makers.

3. Other. These are players who can dramatically change the outcome of the game despite not really falling into one of the two above categories. Examples include Barry Sanders and Joe Montana.

Lee Evans is probably the closest thing we have to a category 1 difference maker. But he's more likely to be shut down by double coverage than you'd typically expect from a category 1 difference maker. Marcus Stroud can, at times, also look like a category 1 difference maker.

Last year, Jason Peters would have been a category 2 difference maker. As he plays himself back into shape, he might become more of one this season. Other than him, we don't have too many other category 2 difference makers. Donte Whitner certainly isn't one. It's not like you can have him cover an elite TE one-on-one and expect to be okay. Nor is any other member of our secondary a category 2 difference maker.

Trent Edwards our only bona fide category three difference maker. But there are other players who come close, such as Poz.

I agree with you that adding a few key difference makers should be very high on the Bills' to-do list. Doing so is the only thing that should make the Bills even consider doing something other than drafting an offensive lineman with their first pick. Of course, if they got a difference maker on the offensive line with their first round pick, they'd have the best of both worlds. But it's even more important that their first round pick be a difference maker, than that he be an offensive lineman.

What disturbs me:

lee evans is the closest thing we got

I agree that the lack of stars is disturbing. An elite football team typically needs elite difference makers. I put them into three categories. A category 3 difference maker is not necessarily better or worse than a category 1 or 2 difference maker:

1. A guy is a difference maker if he can be productive while using up two or more of the other team's players. As you pointed out, Bruce Smith still produced even when he was getting double teamed. Guys like Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice still produced even when getting double covered.

2. A guy is a difference maker if he cancels out a category 1 difference maker. You can put a Tony Boselli one-on-one with Bruce and be just fine. You can put a Deion Sanders one-on-one with a Jerry Rice, and know that things aren't going to get out of control. These are category 2 difference makers.

3. Other. These are players who can dramatically change the outcome of the game despite not really falling into one of the two above categories. Examples include Barry Sanders and Joe Montana.

Lee Evans is probably the closest thing we have to a category 1 difference maker. But he's more likely to be shut down by double coverage than you'd typically expect from a category 1 difference maker. Marcus Stroud can, at times, also look like a category 1 difference maker.

Last year, Jason Peters would have been a category 2 difference maker. As he plays himself back into shape, he might become more of one this season. Other than him, we don't have too many other category 2 difference makers. Donte Whitner certainly isn't one. It's not like you can have him cover an elite TE one-on-one and expect to be okay. Nor is any other member of our secondary a category 2 difference maker.

Trent Edwards our only bona fide category three difference maker. But there are other players who come close, such as Poz.

I agree with you that adding a few key difference makers should be very high on the Bills' to-do list. Doing so is the only thing that should make the Bills even consider doing something other than drafting an offensive lineman with their first pick. Of course, if they got a difference maker on the offensive line with their first round pick, they'd have the best of both worlds. But it's even more important that their first round pick be a difference maker, than that he be an offensive lineman.

Nice analysis. Upon reflection, the Bills' drafts of late have been good (very few busts), but not great, for the simple reason that they have not produced the playmakers that you describe. At least so far. Maybe some of these players will emerge as stars, as another post observes.