Players Suspended for Doping (Rumor)

JimBob2232

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If used during the recovery process for an injury - healing agent.

If used constantly as a method of constantly keeping body synthetically superior - cheating.

The way to judge, IMO, is to make the process open. That is, if a guy is injured and the doctors want to use HGH for a period of time, then they get an exemption from the league to use it for the needed time, during the healing process. Of course, you would have to protect against phony injuries for the exemption, but I see that as a relatively easy oversight issue.

Excess testosterone, aka steroids, help one heal faster too. Growth hormone not only allows one to heal faster but also increases lean muscle mass. It's just a different performance enhancing compound so if you are going to ban steroids, you have to ban the growth hormone too.

RTB

Fixed. It is crazy to think that everybody who uses diuretics does it to mask/flush other drugs. But, they are on the list of what is prohibited, so either way, they are a no-no. But, IMO, they should not be.

I stand corrected - you appropriately point out the fact that there are many other legit and beneficial reasons to use them.

:thumbsup:

As per ESPN radio and the ESPN TV crawl and our buddy Mort in particular, the NFL and Union have confirmed to him that it's 8 players in total, including 3 Saints, and 4 of them are Butenamide violations.

Not according to this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/fo....g.ap/index.html

ESPN.com, citing two unnamed sources, reported the number of positive tests is more than 10 and may exceed 15.

I preface this with saying I DO NOT KNOW if this is true, but a respected and well known poster on another board I frequent says that FOX Radio in Denver reported a list of players to be suspended, and that that list includes Donte Whitner....

Deuce McAllister (NO)

Will Smith (NO)

Donte Whitner (BUF)

Leon Washington (NYJ)

Warrick Dunn (TB)

Jason Ferguson (MIA)

Eddie Royal (DEN)

Ben Utecht (CIN)

Malcolm Floyd (SD)

Dawan Landry (BAL)

Cornelius Griffen (WAS)

Dont shoot the messanger if this is wrong...just putting it out there.

BIG loss if true...

Your only problem is believing a poster on another board. Don't you know the guys on this board are the only ones you can trust?

To be fair to McAllister, if he took steroids/HGH to heal more effectively after tearing up both knees, from his perspective a four game suspension is less serious than a shot career.

One quick note about HGH: Pettite took it to help his injured elbow heal. If it can work as a medicine/healing agent, why is always bad?

because that gives pretty much everyone an excuse to use it and it is not safe

The way to judge, IMO, is to make the process open. That is, if a guy is injured and the doctors want to use HGH for a period of time, then they get an exemption from the league to use it for the needed time, during the healing process. Of course, you would have to protect against phony injuries for the exemption, but I see that as a relatively easy oversight issue.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

If Whitner is on this list and gets suspended for four games I'll eat Rosie O'Donnell. :thumbsup:

Fixed. It is crazy to think that everybody who uses diuretics does it to mask/flush other drugs. But, they are on the list of what is prohibited, so either way, they are a no-no. But, IMO, they should not be.

There is no other reason for an athlete to use a diuretic than to mask drug use. Diuretics dehydrate the body increasing the risk of cramps and heat stroke. Losing water hurts performance, it doesn't help it. The only reason besides masking that a diuretic would help is if the player taking it was trying to "make weight" at a weigh-in that might be a condition of his contract. Diuretics are only good for short term weight loss and you don't actually lose weight (in terms of muscle or fat) because by simply drinking liquids, you gain that weight right back.

There is no other reason for an athlete to use a diuretic than to mask drug use. Diuretics dehydrate the body increasing the risk of cramps and heat stroke. Losing water hurts performance, it doesn't help it. The only reason besides masking that a diuretic would help is if the player taking it was trying to "make weight" at a weigh-in that might be a condition of his contract. Diuretics are only good for short term weight loss and you don't actually lose weight (in terms of muscle or fat) because by simply drinking liquids, you gain that weight right back.

Well, I guess you took care of the "there is no other reason" in short order. :thumbsup:

Also, diuretics like furosemide (Lasix) and hydrochlorothiazide are regularly prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure.

You may be right that there are few reasons for an athlete to use bumetanide other than to mask something OR to make weight, but diuretics have other legit uses.

Noone has mentioned the fact that with such an increddibly high number of failures, the tests may have been contaminated. Travis Henry appealed and won his case of a mis-handled drug test last season, and that was a one case situation. When I saw this about the 4 Saints on the ESPN Bottom line, my first thought was the tests were contaminated and probably not legit. I bet the NFL throws out these tests results and retests. If they do not I see a lot of players appealing the results and there being a good chance of them winning.