Hines Ward kills Keith Rivers

Makes me wonder whether players on average are really stronger (advanced training, supplements, technique, speed of the game) or really weaker (so specialized, less emphasis on toughness, less dedicated).

It seems like players up until 10 years ago could take that sort of licking and keep on ticking week in and week out.

Steroids strengthen the muscles but not the ligaments or bones.

Ward has already been fined for hits that were not penalized in games this year. He has spoken out against it.

If this were "finable", he would have been hit with it. dont give him any of that "if he were a different position" BS.

Yeah, because the NFL doesn't have different "rules" for different positions.

My God. Hines Ward is as tough and physical as they come. A WR blows up a LB.

PFT reports that there will be no fine and that Rivers suffered a broken jaw, ending his season. As if to add insult to injury, someone posted in the comments section on PFT's article that, "Rivers should be fined for not paying attention." :wallbash:

Here's the link to PFT's article:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/21/...for-rivers-hit/

And here's the link to the eye popping :bag: video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXxc9OxIJyc

PS. If this is a re-post, too bad, I'm not sorry cuz this is a killer hit, and is worth re-posting!

Why do people get off on this? Ward clearly led with his helmet, and now a guy is seriously hurt. It's the one thing about football that basically sucks - the injuries that are almost deliberately inflicted.

Why do people get off on this? Ward clearly led with his helmet, and now a guy is seriously hurt. It's the one thing about football that basically sucks - the injuries that are almost deliberately inflicted.

Update on Troy Polamalu. He's a fine, very motivated player. AFAIK, a decent man. I hold the opinion that PGH is going to win the AFC North, with or without him. I'm surprised they don't sit him out for a couple of games...

Steelers Notebook: Tomlin upbeat about Polamalu

Safety is recovering from concussion

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 by Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"Coach Mike Tomlin said he expects safety Troy Polamalu to practice today and play Sunday against the New York Giants, even though the coach confirmed Polamalu sustained a concussion in the fourth quarter against Cincinnati.

"As of right now, we anticipate him playing," Tomlin said yesterday. "...

..."The confirmation by Tomlin makes it at least seven confirmed concussions for Polamalu since his high school days, including three at Southern California and one two years ago with the Steelers. Tomlin said he's letting his medical experts determine if Polamalu is healthy enough to play.

Polamalu was injured while tackling Cincinnati running back Cedric Benson, a play in which cornerback Bryant McFadden's right forearm was broken as well. Polamalu rammed his head into Benson and his helmet flew off.

Tomlin did not question how Polamalu made the tackle, saying: "He's not any more reckless than anybody else who plays the safety position. This is a guy that runs to the football and sometimes violent collisions happen. He has his share of them. But it's not any negligence on his part in terms of technique."...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08296/921757-66.stm

Update on Troy Polamalu. He's a fine, very motivated player. AFAIK, a decent man. I hold the opinion that PGH is going to win the AFC North, with or without him. I'm surprised they don't sit him out for a couple of games...

Steelers Notebook: Tomlin upbeat about Polamalu

Safety is recovering from concussion

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 by Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

"Coach Mike Tomlin said he expects safety Troy Polamalu to practice today and play Sunday against the New York Giants, even though the coach confirmed Polamalu sustained a concussion in the fourth quarter against Cincinnati.

"As of right now, we anticipate him playing," Tomlin said yesterday. "...

..."The confirmation by Tomlin makes it at least seven confirmed concussions for Polamalu since his high school days, including three at Southern California and one two years ago with the Steelers. Tomlin said he's letting his medical experts determine if Polamalu is healthy enough to play.

Polamalu was injured while tackling Cincinnati running back Cedric Benson, a play in which cornerback Bryant McFadden's right forearm was broken as well. Polamalu rammed his head into Benson and his helmet flew off.

Tomlin did not question how Polamalu made the tackle, saying: "He's not any more reckless than anybody else who plays the safety position. This is a guy that runs to the football and sometimes violent collisions happen. He has his share of them. But it's not any negligence on his part in terms of technique."...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08296/921757-66.stm

There had to be something about a Bengal in there somewhere