Hope the BILLS don't "run into" refs like this...

Guest FUKK THE BILLS

Sports Center had a different view earlier tonight, can't find it online right now, but it looks like he moves towards the runner, not away as if he was really trying to protect himself.

What you're saying is that he moves towards the runner & makes contact instead of trying to get out of the way and protect himself?

That is one weird play. :wallbash:

Eh...I think the ref was trying to position himself so he wouldn't get run into by number 99 who he can see peripherally to his left and is barrelling towards him. I think he felt as though they were closer than they were, so he keeps shuffling toward the QB until he realizes he is going to be in the way. He does a little twist with his body because he thinks he's about to be sandwiched. The elbow and the weight he puts into the QB is part of him bracing for the impact he thinks is coming from behind/left of him.

Anyone that thinks this ref was on the take is not giving people who ARE on the take enough credit. I can think of a few more efficiant ways to accomplish a fix than by openly tackling a QB on an inoccuous looking scramble.

I don't know how the NCAA can't see anything wrong with that.

I don't know how any reason (other than illegal reasons) can be given other than flash back.

Ref: "You don't understand...i was right there. I had a clear shot on the QB and that only comes up a few times in a lifetime, whether you're 18 or 48."

I'd love to hear the illegal reasons you could give.

I have seen the replay a dozen times. I have no idea why this ref did what he did. It seems quite obvious that he was initiating contact, not defending himself.

I also do not understand how TV commentators can defend what he did!

:(

Ref: "Look, I can't begin to tell you HOW MUCH money they were offering me to take him out, but I can say, it was quite a bit."

So you think the following is more likely to have happened than this all being accidental:

1) The ref is offered money to not only fix a game, but to injure an opposing team's QB.

2) He is ok with it morally.

3) He believes he can, without pads, a helmet, youth, or a weapon, actually injure the QB.

4) He decides to try to accomplish his mission without any subtlty, with a weak forearm to a helmetted QB's head.

Sure, it's possible. Is it more likely than this being accidental? Is it even close?

I have seen the replay a dozen times. I have no idea why this ref did what he did. It seems quite obvious that he was initiating contact, not defending himself.

I also do not understand how TV commentators can defend what he did!

I'm not sure I defended what the ref did, but I defended it not having been done on purpose in post #22.

The bottom line is that there is no good reason why this official would have done this purposely. Any motive involving the official wanting to either injure the QB or cause his team to lose seems ridiculous considering the game situation, the obviousness of the event, and the effectiveness of such an action.

It's awkward and strange and foolish-looking. Hell, there are times when my cats have caused me to walk right into my own walls! I assure you that if I was recorded for three hours every week I would end up looking a retarded monkey sooner rather than later.

So you think the following is more likely to have happened than this all being accidental:

1) The ref is offered money to not only fix a game, but to injure an opposing team's QB.

2) He is ok with it morally.

3) He believes he can, without pads, a helmet, youth, or a weapon, actually injure the QB.

4) He decides to try to accomplish his mission without any subtlty, with a weak forearm to a helmetted QB's head.

Sure, it's possible. Is it more likely than this being accidental? Is it even close?

Decaf.

Seriously, it is just as tasty as the real thing.

Furthermore, Sears can also fix sarcasm detectors if yours is broken.

Decaf.

Seriously, it is just as tasty as the real thing.

Furthermore, Sears can also fix sarcasm detectors if yours is broken.

Decaf, huh? I suppose that's to mean my post made me sound overly excitable or something. I'll try to tone it down. :(

Also, I'm not sure what you believe the word "sarcasm" to mean, but your statement was a direct response to my asking for an example of an "illegal reason" that you suggested could exist for this incident to have occured, and as such I took it at face value.

Sorry to have misunderstood...Whatever it is you were trying to say.

The SEC cleared him of any wrongdoing and stated that he acted appropriately in trying to defend himself (paraphrasing).

:ph34r:B-)

Next time I'm in a crowded situation and someone is running by me, I'll be sure to defend myself by running into their projected path and throwing a forearm into their chest.

Decaf, huh? I suppose that's to mean my post made me sound overly excitable or something. I'll try to tone it down. B-)

Also, I'm not sure what you believe the word "sarcasm" to mean, but your statement was a direct response to my asking for an example of an "illegal reason" that you suggested could exist for this incident to have occured, and as such I took it at face value.

Sorry to have misunderstood...Whatever it is you were trying to say.

No, Kgun5, it's my bad and my lame sense of humor. And if i was overly jerky in my response, my apologies.

:ph34r: Peace, brother.

I'm not sure I defended what the ref did, but I defended it not having been done on purpose in post #22.

The bottom line is that there is no good reason why this official would have done this purposely. Any motive involving the official wanting to either injure the QB or cause his team to lose seems ridiculous considering the game situation, the obviousness of the event, and the effectiveness of such an action.

It's awkward and strange and foolish-looking. Hell, there are times when my cats have caused me to walk right into my own walls! I assure you that if I was recorded for three hours every week I would end up looking a retarded monkey sooner rather than later.

I was directing this at TV commentators, not you. I have no idea why he appeared to do it on purpose - why speculate?

Three hours video taping ME on any given day and you would capture retarded monkey behavior!

:ph34r: