Wheelchair DUI

Chilly

So, if you are wheelchairbound, you can never get bombed? Else be charged with DUI? If I was wheelchairbound, I might consider bombed a preferable state of being.

I think drunk in public would be a better charge as I'm not really afraid of being killed by a drunk person in a wheelchair. Same goes with a BWI. A person walking in traffic poses just as much risk as a bicycle. And yet there is no WWI.

I think drunk in public would be a better charge as I'm not really afraid of being killed by a drunk person in a wheelchair. Same goes with a BWI. A person walking in traffic poses just as much risk as a bicycle. And yet there is no WWI.

The days where you could charge a non license driver with public intoxication are coming to an end.

Nobody else noticed that this happened at the local high school? And the Resource Officer was involved...?

I have no problem with someone who blows a .405 at a local school with children present getting arrested.

Depends how far away from the high school it was (our resource officer would sit about as far away from the school as possible, past a heavily treed area, at the road).

And still, a DUI?!

Depends how far away from the high school it was (our resource officer would sit about as far away from the school as possible, past a heavily treed area, at the road).

And still, a DUI?!

Police say it happened Sept. 23 when 59-year-old Robert Gibson was stopped by police at the local high school.

I suppose he could have been on the sidewalk in front of the school, but that's not how I read this.

I don't trust the media when it comes to specifics like that. It could be true, I don't disagree.

OK, after further review I think you are right. Public drunkenness would have been a sufficient charge.

The guy was tooling across the school parking lot at 4 pm.

WWI would be more equivalent to a public drunkenness charge. DUI laws are specifically written to include the word "vehicle" in the statute. A vehicle is anything from a wheelchair, to a bicycle, to a car. Cops are trained to apply the most appropriate charge to cases. In this case, the DUI charge fits better than the public intoxication charge simply because a "vehicle" was involved. Besides, the penalties are (basically) the same for a public intoxication and misdemeanor DUI charge. Its not like you lose a drivers license for a DUI bicycle charge.

WWI would be more equivalent to a public drunkenness charge. DUI laws are specifically written to include the word "vehicle" in the statute. A vehicle is anything from a wheelchair, to a bicycle, to a car. Cops are trained to apply the most appropriate charge to cases. In this case, the DUI charge fits better than the public intoxication charge simply because a "vehicle" was involved. Besides, the penalties are (basically) the same for a public intoxication and misdemeanor DUI charge. Its not like you lose a drivers license for a DUI bicycle charge.

Outside of the stigma attached to it...

Nobody else noticed that this happened at the local high school? And the Resource Officer was involved...?

I have no problem with someone who blows a .405 at a local school with children present getting arrested.

According to police, Gibson had slurred speech, bloodshot eyes and had slobbered all over his shirt.

The cop was probably some sort of neat freak. B-)