This is what America needs!

PromoTheRobot

And what's wrong with the CPD buying you a Verizon Wireless card (or other) and their cell-based Internet service? I've got it and I'm not shackled to WIFI spots.

I'm not on staff at the CPD, I'm a freelancer who contracts for them on a regular basis. Freelancers get no support from the papers we write for - we provide all our own technology, internet access, transportation/mileage, everything.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is not the government giving everyone $40 for a digital converter box? I would guess more people would give up their toilets before TV.

PTR

Doesn't make television a right.

Quite the opposite: the government's handout in this case is complete horseshit, in part because television is NOT a right. But then, so was a legal mandate to move broadcast to digital.

Some people can't afford food, so by your logic that means they don't need it right?

Well I meant above the necessities. But show me someone who can't afford food. When was the last time you heard of an American that died because they didn't have access to food.

Well I meant above the necessities. But show me someone who can't afford food. When was the last time you heard of an American that died because they didn't have access to food.

Well I don't have any facts, figures, or expertise on the subject but I'd be willing to bet it happens more than you or I would imagine. But if it doesn't happen, then that's the result of programs like welfare and food stamps.

But here's what I think about the free internet. We've reached the point where the internet is an invaluable, almost necessary, source of information and education for children. There's a viscious cycle out there which prevents the children of poverty from rising above their situation and lacking the tools to compete intellectually with their wealthier peers is one of them. They don't have the internet. If they go to school, they probably have outdated textbooks and cramped classrooms. Of course the internet isn't a "right" but if it provides more equal opportunities and helps impoverished Americans pick themselves up by their bootstraps I'm all for it.

Well I don't have any facts, figures, or expertise on the subject but I'd be willing to bet it happens more than you or I would imagine. But if it doesn't happen, then that's the result of programs like welfare and food stamps.

But here's what I think about the free internet. We've reached the point where the internet is an invaluable, almost necessary, source of information and education for children. There's a viscious cycle out there which prevents the children of poverty from rising above their situation and lacking the tools to compete intellectually with their wealthier peers is one of them. They don't have the internet. If they go to school, they probably have outdated textbooks and cramped classrooms. Of course the internet isn't a "right" but if it provides more equal opportunities and helps impoverished Americans pick themselves up by their bootstraps I'm all for it.

And they can get it in every library. Maybe we should be building more libraries. That I'm all for. You remember books right? Free internet for all. Wow... :thumbsup: