Why the market is tanking

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons why the market is tanking is because of the irrational actions of investors. Much of the short term movement in the market, whether bearing or bullish, is due to emotional investing. The reason the tech market surged in the late 90's was due to greed, people needing to get in. When the tech house of cards was revealed people had to get out taking the whole tech sector with it, including good companies (Amazon, Ebay, Google, Yahoo etc) that still exist today. The quick selloff we've seen the past couple of weeks is due, in part, to panicked investors, acting on the emotional need to get out at any cost. What will stabilize this? Rational institutional investors that are going to swoop in and pick up the pieces of good quality companies that have been beaten down by this fear. Don't get me wrong, there are issues that need fixing but we are far from Armageddon.

Jim's right, we're not at Armageddon. It used to be that when the Dow was down 1%, I lost $10,000.

Now when the Dow is down 1%, I'm only out a grand.

In some way, that's reassuring.

I heard that someone said if we continue this way the Dow will be down to zero in 19 days, check that 18 days. So we'll all be even and as Alex Trebek says "time to start rebuilding."

Dow Death Watch T minus 18..............

Jim's right, we're not at Armageddon. It used to be that when the Dow was down 1%, I lost $10,000.

Now when the Dow is down 1%, I'm only out a grand.

In some way, that's reassuring.

I was talking to one of the IT dudes here at work, he told me his 401 was down 32% this year.

As I was walking away he started chewing on his blackberry.

I heard that someone said if we continue this way the Dow will be down to zero in 19 days, check that 18 days. So we'll all be even and as Alex Trebek says "time to start rebuilding."

Dow Death Watch T minus 18..............

Exactly. At zero dollars, most of those stocks will be undervalued.

Can we just close the NYSE at 2pm every day?

It's the 2-4 traders that keep doing this. Morons.

Why? I LOVE the 2 o'clock panic. Best part of my day, watching traders liquidate the exact same positions they're going to establish the following morning.