Slow-mo Video of Trent Hit Inside.

My take:

The hit was NOT late, the hit was NOT dirty, but...

It looks like Wilson really followed through, to the point of driving Trent down and into the ground, keeping his helmet under Trent's chin. I didn't like that and I think that was malicous and excessive. Especially considering the ball was released. There was no need to follow through like that and drive him down considering the ball was released. While I'm sure he didn't intend to hurt Trent, I think he intended to hit him as hard as possible.

I know it may seem to some that I so badly want to point a finger/place blame. But I'm seeing clearly and think Wilson should be fined/suspened a la Smith.

While it was too late to stop his hit, as the ball was just released before he made contact, and the game is played at warp speed, I think that he shouldn't of followed through like that and shouldn't have driven Trent down into the ground with his helmet pinned to Trent. That part WAS dirty.

Link:

That was helmet-to-helmet. And dirty in that he intentionally kept his helmet to Trent's to drive his head into the ground, as you said. I expect a fine and suspension, maybe even more than Eric Smith got.

My take:

It looks like Wilson really followed through, to the point of driving Trent down and into the ground, keeping his helmet under Trent's chin. I didn't like that and I think that was malicous and excessive. Especially considering the ball was released. There was no need to follow through like that and drive him down considering the ball was released. While I'm sure he didn't intend to hurt Trent, I think he intended to hit him as hard as possible.

I know it may seem to some that I so badly want to point a finger/place blame. But I'm seeing clearly and think Wilson should be fined/suspened a la Smith.

While it was too late to stop his hit, as the ball was just released before he made contact, and the game is played at warp speed, I think that he shouldn't of followed through like that and shouldn't have driven Trent down into the ground with his helmet pinned to Trent. That part WAS dirty.

Link:

I just watched it again in real time and even at full speed it shows how long Wilson leaves his helmet on Trents chin. I think if you are not trying to drive the guy to the ground, your helmet moves off his chin much sooner.

I dont know about him leaving his head there being malicous, you cant expect him to move his helmet after contact, because football is played in slow motion.

What I thought was illegal is that he left his feet to make a high hit. He didnt do it in an attempt to knock down the pass either, as he never put his hands up to attempt a knock down.

My take:

Link:

I'd call that a perfect hit..............right on the button! ;)

JAWS CALLS WILSON HIT LEGITIMATE

Posted by Mike Florio on October 6, 2008, 6:56 p.m.

Amid reports that the NFL is reviewing tape of the hit from Cards safety Adrian Wilson that knocked Bills quarterback Trent Edwards out of a game that Buffalo eventually lost by 24 points, ESPN’s Ron Jaworski declared Monday on PTI that it was a “legitimate hit.”

Jaws noted that Wilson had his face up when he struck Edwards, and that the concussion likely arose when Edwards’ head hit the ground. And Jaworski kinda/sorta suggested that it was Edwards’ only fault for not picking up a “third level” (we love it when Jaws uses jargon) defender.

While the hit reportedly won’t be reviewed based on the prohibition against helmet-to-helmet contact, the rule regarding unnecessary contact comes into play, given that Wilson possibly slammed his body onto Edwards.

So we’ll respectfully disagree with the bespectacled analyst. And we’ll all find out within the next few days who’s right, and who isn’t.

I'd call that a perfect hit..............right on the button! ;)

Anyone who watches that hit, slo-mo or not, and doesn't think he led with his head then drove all off his weight into him into the ground, never played football.

I can't stress enough, the hit was clean. It was the follow through and keeping his head pinned to Trent's chest/chin the whole time and driving him into the ground that I feel was dirty and malicious. Intent to hurt was there IMO.

Absolutely. He tried to hurt him and did.