How Big Has Josh Reed Been This Year?

:lol: He has been doing all the things that do not show up on stat sheets, and lead to a victory! Josh is one of my favorite players on this team. Josh is a player you love on your team, but hate to play against

As mentioned last week, he is now #11 on the Bills all-time receiving list. He and Lee Evans are closing in on Frank Lewis.

He pissed off a St Louis DB last week, too. There seems to be a little skirmish just about every game. Reed is enormously valuable to this team.

Reed's dropsies were a one-to-two year problem, but the reputation stuck even though it didn't reflect reality.

As for the continued remarks that Hardy is a disappointment, WTF? There have been two games in his entire four game career, when he has been asked to contribute. He caught a game winning TD the first time, and looked like a rookie who needs work, the second time. If that counts as a huge disappointment, you are far too easily disappointed. He will get more opportunities as the year progresses. It's far too early to have any real feeling for how he will eventually turn out.

Yes, it's funny how a reputation sticks even after the problem has subsided. Reed made one very nice catch last week just as he was being hit. A lot of receivers would not have made that catch. Totally agree with you on Hardy. I don't understand people's impatience with him.

Reed's nickname this year (in our household) is "Money". 2nd and 7? 3rd and 7? Who gets the call? That guy is money in the bank this year. Watch for him to get a LOT more defensive attention as the year goes on. The best thing that could happen is that I'm wrong on that statement, because that guy is like punching a clock. Money. Automatic.

I think a lot of Josh's success has to do with our man TE. They seem to have a good repor. TE has mentioned several times how smart a receiver Josh is and his ability to find open seems. On 3rd down, Josh is TE's money man.

I think a lot of Josh's success has to do with our man TE. They seem to have a good repor. TE has mentioned several times how smart a receiver Josh is and his ability to find open seems. On 3rd down, Josh is TE's money man.
Some truth to that, last seasons when Te wasn't QB he quit on routes and ducked going over the middle

Has a lot more to do with him embracing his role as a possession receiver and Evans and Parrish stretching the field more and opening the underneath routes. When a passing game isn't working, the first thing fans look at is "Why aren't the getting the ball down field more?", and blame the possession receiver for not being a deep threat, which is apparently the criticism Reed's sufferred through the past few years. (And yeah, I'm a fan of Reed. Always was. The guy just does what's asked of him, to the best of his ability. Just the kind of solid-but-not-flashy Phil-Hansen-type player that you need several of on a team).

And don't forget the importance of actually HAVING an offensive game plan that will take advantage of those underneath routes - don't underestimate Schonert's role in this. Personally, I give most of the credit for Reed's "resurgence" to the complete absence of the Fake End Around Mickey Mouse bull sh-- Reverse !@#$tard Halfback Option Pass play.

Some truth to that, last seasons when Te wasn't QB he quit on routes and ducked going over the middle

Reed didn't duck - someone just trying to stir the pot about last year because he is getting recognition this year. Reed was the only WR who showed up against Pats* and who was the QB? JPL. Reed is best over the middle for short passes and that was Losman's weakest throw. He did well for "Captain Checkdown" as well.

Reed didn't duck - someone just trying to stir the pot about last year because he is getting recognition this year. Reed was the only WR who showed up against Pats* and who was the QB? JPL. Reed is best over the middle for short passes and that was Losman's weakest throw. He did well for "Captain Checkdown" as well.

Correct. The "ducking" reference is a weak attempt at slamming Reed for a play at the end of the Jacksonville game last year, when he appeared to stop his route across the middle at the end of the game. I recall some on this board going ape-schitt that he "gave up" but in the postgame PC he explained that the sun made it impossible to pick up the ball and he had no idea where the throw was.

To even hint that Reed has been shy to take (or give) a hit is ridiculous. If Lynch wasn't on the roster, I'd call Reed the gutsiest player on offense.

Has a lot more to do with him embracing his role as a possession receiver and Evans and Parrish stretching the field more and opening the underneath routes. When a passing game isn't working, the first thing fans look at is "Why aren't the getting the ball down field more?", and blame the possession receiver for not being a deep threat, which is apparently the criticism Reed's sufferred through the past few years. (And yeah, I'm a fan of Reed. Always was. The guy just does what's asked of him, to the best of his ability. Just the kind of solid-but-not-flashy Phil-Hansen-type player that you need several of on a team).

And don't forget the importance of actually HAVING an offensive game plan that will take advantage of those underneath routes - don't underestimate Schonert's role in this. Personally, I give most of the credit for Reed's "resurgence" to the complete absence of the Fake End Around Mickey Mouse bull sh-- Reverse !@#$tard Halfback Option Pass play.

I think Hardy will add a new dimension to the offense and make plays that smaller receivers couldn't (i.e. the td in jacksonville). However, the consensus on the board going into the draft was that we needed a tall receiver to draw attention away from evans. I'm now starting to think that personnel wasn't the problem. Having a qb and an offensive coordinator that will go to slot receivers and tight ends consistently in the passing game is more important to getting Lee single coverage than having a big wideout. Hardy has had a very limited role so far, but because of reed, royal, and roscoe (R cubed) stepping up and being more featured in the offense, Lee is getting a lot more one on one chances.