John McCargo

BeastMode54

there were rumors right before the season started that Bills were actively trying to trade him. He looked great at the end of last year, and then was inactive for the first game of the year. Does he even see the field? I can't think of one play he's made. What's wrong with the guy. Is he just a bust?

Some of the quotes I've seen from the coaching staff seem to suggest a lack of motivation. If they're right, then that

goes to show that pro football really is more mental than physical. McCargo's got the strength, quickness, etc. that he needs.

Maybe he just doesn't have the IQ or motivation to turn the physical tools into good play.

he was on the field when Steven Jackson broke his long TD run. Not sure if this helps you...

He got doubled and taken out of the play, but Whitner had a free path to Jackson and ended-up running into his own player and completely missing Jackson.

McCargo's played in the last 3 games. On the season he has 0 tackles and sacks. I thought he had turned the corner late last season.

If Stroud or Williams goes down, we are so screwed.

I stated if before the draft... Bills need to give a high priority to DT and LB. Both of those positions should have been filled in the first 4 rounds.

He's been basically a nonfactor this season, which is disappointing.

I'm embarrassed, but I was saying before training camp that he would have a breakout year this year and be one of the brightest spots on defense. Boy was I wrong! All the pieces of the puzzle seemed to fit (size & strength, quickness, the addition of Stroud next to him, etc.) but I guess one of the things that you can't judge is what someone's thinking and the motivation factor.

My guess is that he's out at the end of the year, but with 16 of 22 starters being drafted by the Bills FO, there's bound to be 1 or 2 busts in there. Oh yeah, I'd officially call him a bust if his season continues the way it's going now.

He might have Mike Williams mentality.

He wouldn't be the first player with a big pile of signing bonus jingle who decided p*ss on the possibility of getting banged up. Take that signing $$$ and salary until you get cut, invest the cash into conservative things, and live on high 5 figures for the rest of your life and never have to go to work again, if you choose.

He wouldn't be the first player with a big pile of signing bonus jingle who decided p*ss on the possibility of getting banged up. Take that sgining $$$ and salary until you get cut, invest the cash into conservative things, and live on high 5 figures for the rest of your life and never have to go to work again, if you choose.

And lose your status as a "man".

And lose your status as a "man".

Dude, if I could work during my 20s and make 5 figures (spending it all) and then retire at 30 and have $3.5 million in my bank account I certainly would. I'm not saying this is the best way to go, or the way I'd go if I were a football player, but being a football watcher, I would do that in a second.

I always thought it would be cool to be a kicker or punter and get paid more than most to kick a ball. I know they practice, but come on.

there were rumors right before the season started that Bills were actively trying to trade him. He looked great at the end of last year, and then was inactive for the first game of the year. Does he even see the field? I can't think of one play he's made. What's wrong with the guy. Is he just a bust?

i dont know where you got the that they were activly trying to trade him thats total BS.

I stated if before the draft... Bills need to give a high priority to DT and LB. Both of those positions should have been filled in the first 4 rounds.

We have our starters in place at DT, but I agree that we'll need another rotational guy if McCargo doesn't improve his play. Also, Keith Ellison isn't the long-term answer at OLB, so we need to either re-sign Angelo Crowell, or else draft a replacement LB at some point.

That said, unless the offensive line dramatically improves its pitiful play, that needs to be the Bills' #1 priority heading into the 2009 draft. Melvin Fowler is in the last year of his contract, and nothing he's done could possibly indicate he's the long-term answer at center. There's a good center in the upcoming draft who's expected to be taken in the first round. The Bills should take a long, hard look at that guy, and they should draft him if they like what they see. Then they should come back and draft another lineman with their second round pick--possibly using their 3rd rounder to trade up and get a better player. They can use their picks in rounds 4 - 7 to add depth, including that rotational DT you mentioned.

This would leave the OLB problem unsolved for a year, at least assuming we don't re-sign Crowell. But as important as it is to keep Keith Ellison off the field, the offensive line has to take higher priority. When the line blocks badly--as has usually been the case this season--the running game grinds to a halt, and the passing offense is ineffective. However, the line looks good in the 4th quarter, because that's when defenses are tired out. If you look at Trent's 4th quarter stats, that should tell you how effective our passing offense could be if we gave the QB protection for all four quarters. And just imagine what Lynch could do if he didn't have guys meeting him in the backfield on practically every inside running play. The absence of competent offensive line play is dragging the offense down more than Keith Ellison is dragging the defense down.

I didn't hear the trade rumors about him, so I did some poking around and found this from Pro Football Weekly:

Quality contributors such as DE Chris Ellis and DT John McCargo have already been listed as inactive for games this season, but we hear that it has little to do with the Bills’ confidence in them. Rather, it’s a function of the team’s 45-man active roster each week being formulated with special teams in mind.

It's definitely time to call him a bust. As it turns out, he was a reach; whereas Whitner was not.

I wouldn't re-sign Crowell with everything that went down; I'd rather get a LB thru the draft--it would be cheaper this way.

It's definitely time to call him a bust. As it turns out, he was a reach; whereas Whitner was not.

As much as I love D.Whit he was a reach.

Why do you try and jump over 2 players to get to SJ and then he bust a 29 yard TD. He is a good player but nothing more as of now. Would rather have Haloti Ngata still.