Interesting observation from the game

nodnarb

Did anyone else notice this? I commented in the game thread that Peters was playing poorly early, but never noticed the temporary swap. I'm sure Peters will be at his best again soon, but that holdout still irks me. Anyway, here's the blurb:

Coaching note: After staging his inexplicable pointless summer holdout (he has three years remaining on his contract), Budgies Pro Bowl tackle Jason Peters has lacked focus in his early play. On Sunday, he struggled early against Oakland speed rusher Derrick Burgess. Buffalo coaches took Peters out, but rather than yell at him, had him stand with them and watch as undrafted Kirk Chambers played left tackle and shut Burgess down. That was all the motivation Peters needed to return and perform well in the second half.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...terbrook/080923

yes....I was swearing at him from the stands...usually I swear at Robert Royal, but Peters got it this week.

Peters was getting swooped around on a regular basis. He was walking off the field with a fat man gait...feet at 2 and 10. His jersey is also pulling to the sides.....the dude is out of shape.

Chambers came in to start a series after the one horrible sack. Peters looked like Gandy out there for much of the game. Trent took 10 or so good hits, and 3 real big ones that made me watch him after the play. Of course they weren't all on Peters.

Did anyone else notice this? I commented in the game thread that Peters was playing poorly early, but never noticed the temporary swap.

Yup, I noticed the swap real-time and it caught me off guard. (Or would that be off tackle?) Two other related observations:

1) Jauron went out of his way in his press conferences (especially Monday) to praise how well Peters played, while acknowledging that he had a few bad plays. I agree with that perspective: Peters had a few truly brutal plays, but he also had a number of really athletic plays both in passing and running situations. With the speed of the Raiders' outside rushers on pass plays, Peters was routinely pushing his guy to a deep (7-10 yds) radius behind Trent, allowing Trent to step up and deliver strikes. The downside, obviously, was when Trent couldn't step up, or when the radius wasn't deep enough, or when the downfield coverage forced Trent to hold the ball too long. I'm not going to say that Peters played a great game, but I think it's equally inaccurate to say he played a terrible game. I think it's wildly inaccurate to say he looked like Gandy. Those outside rushers for the Raiders are about as fast as we'll see all season.

2) Unless my eyes were deceiving me, I think Walker also got rotated out in favor of Chambers for a few plays or maybe a full series. Wondering if anyone else saw that.

Yup, I noticed the swap real-time and it caught me off guard. (Or would that be off tackle?) Two other related observations:

1) Jauron went out of his way in his press conferences (especially Monday) to praise how well Peters played, while acknowledging that he had a few bad plays. I agree with that perspective: Peters had a few truly brutal plays, but he also had a number of really athletic plays both in passing and running situations. With the speed of the Raiders' outside rushers on pass plays, Peters was routinely pushing his guy to a deep (7-10 yds) radius behind Trent, allowing Trent to step up and deliver strikes. Those outside rushers for the Raiders are about as fast as we'll see all season.

Yes, he played terrible. Professional sports is about playing at or near perfect for your craft. When you have 2 or 3 major blunders in a game you sucked. Peters had about 6 plays that he was horrible and caused a sack or pressure. That's horrible.

Yes, he played terrible. Professional sports is about playing at or near perfect for your craft. When you have 2 or 3 major blunders in a game you sucked. Peters had about 6 plays that he was horrible and caused a sack or pressure. That's horrible.

Given Jauron's comments in the Monday press conference -- because he really went out of his way to praise Peters -- is your position that Jauron:

1) feels that Peters sucked and was lying during the press conference

2) doesn't know if Peters sucked or not, so he's assuming the best-case scenario

3) genuinely believes that Peters played well, and therefore is incapable of assessing player performance

This is not a snarky taunt, it's a serious question. I respect DJ and don't perceive him to be a liar, clueless, or a poor evaluator of performance, so I'm having trouble reconciling Jauron's effusive comments with the prevailing opinion that Peters sucked a$$.

Whether or not people think he had a good, average, poor game....he is out of shape. He looks like me walking off the field with that fat-man waddle. Can he play himself out of it....probably. It's just a side effect from holding out that we have been lucky enough to dodge so far.

I have to admit I didn't watch Peters for 60 plays...but when I did, he was giving up the sack, letting Trent get hit, and getting pulled. By the 4th it seemed Trent had a better feel of what was happening.

He looked out of shape to me.

Also, the difference in his play in the first half was night & day. This leads me to believe one of two things:

1) He shook off the rust at halftime and will dominate from here on out (because his form in the 4th quarter was as good as any game last year)

2) he was dogging it in the first half

I don't know if we're going to see the same Jason Peters that we saw last year, the one who was consistently dominant. He could be trying to prove some point (that the Bills need him), he could be out of shape, or it could be a combination of the two.

Given Jauron's comments in the Monday press conference -- because he really went out of his way to praise Peters -- is your position that Jauron:

1) feels that Peters sucked and was lying during the press conference

2) doesn't know if Peters sucked or not, so he's assuming the best-case scenario

3) genuinely believes that Peters played well, and therefore is incapable of assessing player performance

This is not a snarky taunt, it's a serious question. I respect DJ and don't perceive him to be a liar, clueless, or a poor evaluator of performance, so I'm having trouble reconciling Jauron's effusive comments with the prevailing opinion that Peters sucked a$$.

His comments were for the future, not the past.

It would do no good to throw Peters under the bus at the PC.

Peters now knows that the coach has his back, and hopefully that will help motivate him to play better.

Did anyone else notice this? I commented in the game thread that Peters was playing poorly early, but never noticed the temporary swap. I'm sure Peters will be at his best again soon, but that holdout still irks me. Anyway, here's the blurb:

Coaching note: After staging his inexplicable pointless summer holdout (he has three years remaining on his contract), Budgies Pro Bowl tackle Jason Peters has lacked focus in his early play. On Sunday, he struggled early against Oakland speed rusher Derrick Burgess. Buffalo coaches took Peters out, but rather than yell at him, had him stand with them and watch as undrafted Kirk Chambers played left tackle and shut Burgess down. That was all the motivation Peters needed to return and perform well in the second half.

We noticed from the stands that Peters was not in there at times. Unfortunately, with his hold out, it's going to take time. But if he wants his big pay day, he better start playing at a much higher level pretty fast. Not that great of a bargaining chip when he's replaced by an undrafter player and Chambers shuts down the man that was burning him!!!

I could have sworn I read something (couldn't find a link nor remember where I read it unfortunately) yesterday or Monday saying that Peters actually got hurt in the game early on and that's why he had to leave the game - to get taped up. I thought that was why Jauron had so much good to say about him afterward.

Did anyone else read/hear anything like that?

I know Easterbrook is from Buffalo and I love reading the guy's stories. But I noticed something he wrote about the Bills. Its in the Kiffin sent to detention section:

But Kiffin doesn't call defensive signals. Rob Ryan does, and it was Ryan who called too many blitzes in the fourth quarter, practically sending the Buffalo Budgies an engraved invitation to stage a comeback. Buffalo gained 152 yards on its first 10 possessions and 221 yards on its final three possessions.

Anybody else notice this? From what I recall in the game, the raiders blitzed the hell out of us for three quarters and then all but stopped in the forth (save for a few plays, like the Roscoe TD where we countered their blitz). I know I've read all over the Buffalo News this week that the Raiders supposedly lost because Ryan DID NOT blitz buffalo in the 4th enough and they played too much prevent D, which we all know never works.

I can't find any Buffalo News articles that back this statement up, but I did find an Oakland paper that talks about changing from man to man to Prevent.

http://www.times-standard.com/ci_10528330

What do you guys think?

I had read so many people talking about the Raiders backing off in the 4th Quarter, but when I saw the highlights I noticed they blitzed like crazy on the last few Marshawn rushes, which was probably why the Bills kept running the ball...

I know Easterbrook is from Buffalo and I love reading the guy's stories. But I noticed something he wrote about the Bills. Its in the Kiffin sent to detention section:

But Kiffin doesn't call defensive signals. Rob Ryan does, and it was Ryan who called too many blitzes in the fourth quarter, practically sending the Buffalo Budgies an engraved invitation to stage a comeback. Buffalo gained 152 yards on its first 10 possessions and 221 yards on its final three possessions.

Anybody else notice this? From what I recall in the game, the raiders blitzed the hell out of us for three quarters and then all but stopped in the forth (save for a few plays, like the Roscoe TD where we countered their blitz). I know I've read all over the Buffalo News this week that the Raiders supposedly lost because Ryan DID NOT blitz buffalo in the 4th enough and they played too much prevent D, which we all know never works.

I can't find any Buffalo News articles that back this statement up, but I did find an Oakland paper that talks about changing from man to man to Prevent.

What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

They blitzed the entire game. The difference was that the line tightened up in the 4th quarter and nobody was breaking through like in the beginning of the game.

What do you guys think?

Trent Edwards said in a post-game interview that the Raiders were attacking all day and that the offense hadn't prepared for that so they were thrown off. Then the Raiders stopped attacking in the 4th, allowinfg the Bills to execute the plan they had developed all week.