Moving Companies

zevo

Can't help you in the Buffalo area.

That said, my wife and I will never move ourselves again. It's just not worth it, especially since when you ask friends to help you move, then you have to help THEM move too -- Yuck, I HATE moving stuff.

We hired Mohawk moving about 6 years ago. We moved from one suburb to another (about 20-25 miles apart), from a ~900 square foot two bedroom apartment into a house. Three guys came in, disassembled the bed, futon, desk, etc, loaded the truck, and then unloaded everything into the housel, reassembled bed, futon, etc, and it only cost us about $800. I gave them a $200 tip, so the bill came to about $1000 (they considered our move to be an "easy weekend job.). They started around 8am and were done by 1pm. Money well spent.

Does anyone have any good experiences with moving companies in the buffalo area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also what does moving a house cost these days? My wife and I are moving from snyder to east amherst.

We moved this spring from Atlanta suburb A to Atlanta suburb B. 1800 Sq. Ft. house. Cost us about $1200 including tips. I'd do it again tomorrow.

Oh, and keep a bit of an eye on them as they tend to draw it out. I caught them individually wrapping my daughter's toys...

Does anyone have any good experiences with moving companies in the buffalo area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also what does moving a house cost these days? My wife and I are moving from snyder to east amherst.

Insist on putting your own combination lock(s) on the van. Theft isn't uncommon.

Jot down the time they arrive at your house, and the time they arrive at the new location. Drive the common route between the two locations and record the time...they like to pad on transit time. If they say they are going to stop for lunch, travel with them in your car so you can deduct that time.

Check the truck cab before they leave for boxes they might have stashed there.

Hold them to the quote you were given when you contracted them. They've already padded the time then, and the crew "leader" will try to chisel you.

I wouldn't tip them one dime, unless you insist that they run boxes upstairs and all over the house. Your choice.

U-Haul sells boxes - do much of it yourself. And move your valuables yourself. Check the van and the cab after they've unloaded for stashed boxes.

Insist on putting your own combination lock(s) on the van. Theft isn't uncommon.

Jot down the time they arrive at your house, and the time they arrive at the new location. Drive the common route between the two locations and record the time...they like to pad on transit time. If they say they are going to stop for lunch, travel with them in your car so you can deduct that time.

Check the truck cab before they leave for boxes they might have stashed there.

Hold them to the quote you were given when you contracted them. They've already padded the time then, and the crew "leader" will try to chisel you.

I wouldn't tip them one dime, unless you insist that they run boxes upstairs and all over the house. Your choice.

U-Haul sells boxes - do much of it yourself. And move your valuables yourself. Check the van and the cab after they've unloaded for stashed boxes.

Really all that i want them for is to move the big stuff ie beds, tables, refridge, washer, dryer etc.

In my case, the estimate came in around $1,000, maybe a little more. The actual cost was $800. And they did have to run all of my stuff from a 2nd floor apartment (up and down lots of stairs to get everything done), and they put all the boxes in the specific rooms we requested (including the basement). We got our money's worth. :devil:

Really all that i want them for is to move the big stuff ie beds, tables, refridge, washer, dryer etc.

Zevo, a good resource for reliable moving companies is the HR dept. of some larger companies which occasionally will move new hires, employees for transfers, etc. If your company isn't large enough to have that kind of thing, it isn't hard to find someone who works for a company that does. On my last move I found it very difficult figuring out which moving company could really be trusted, but our company had a corporate account and I was able to hire them at a discount that they usually give to our company.

Regardless, get references. A bad moving company can totally screw you.

I recently moved from one house to another and tried something that I had never heard of before! PODS. The fee was about $350 for a month. I had them deliver it to my driveway about two weeks before the move. Then I had two weeks to move all my boxes into the pod instead of having them on the floor all over my house. Then, the day before my move I hired three "casual" laborers at $10 per hour each and supervised them taking the furniture apart and placing it into the pod. Cost me $250 for the day. The pod company came on moving day, picked up the pod and moved it to the driveway of the new house. I then hired more casual labor - 2 men who had the heavy furniture moved in in a couple of hours. $60. Some family came over and helped unload the boxes which wasn't bad because I had another 2 weeks to empty the pod and I could unpack each box as I unloaded it. It sure saved a lot of boxes sitting everywhere.

Total cost was about $700. But this would only work if you're moving from a house to a house.

I recently moved from one house to another and tried something that I had never heard of before! PODS. The fee was about $350 for a month. I had them deliver it to my driveway about two weeks before the move. Then I had two weeks to move all my boxes into the pod instead of having them on the floor all over my house. Then, the day before my move I hired three "casual" laborers at $10 per hour each and supervised them taking the furniture apart and placing it into the pod. Cost me $250 for the day. The pod company came on moving day, picked up the pod and moved it to the driveway of the new house. I then hired more casual labor - 2 men who had the heavy furniture moved in in a couple of hours. $60. Some family came over and helped unload the boxes which wasn't bad because I had another 2 weeks to empty the pod and I could unpack each box as I unloaded it. It sure saved a lot of boxes sitting everywhere.

Total cost was about $700. But this would only work if you're moving from a house to a house.

Thanks - that's a great idea.

I'd add that a call to the Vietnam Vet's organization, or the St. Vincent de Paul Society, Matthew 25:Ministries, the Salvation Army, or Goodwill Industries can provide the needed labor.

Off-topic - that Australian Tea cake recipe you gave out a few years ago has been passed along and is spreading far and wide! :lol:

We moved three years ago. It was only about a 2 mile move. We went with Zitto Movers & they were excellent. They did not charge us by the hour so I am a little confused by other posters saying make sure you jot down their time when they arrive & when they leave. How they charged us was it was $35 per heavy item(refrig, stove, washer/dryer, furniture, bedroom sets & $2 dollar per box. The only criteria with the box is that one guy had to be able to pick it up. I think they charged like $10 for smaller stuff like lamps & end tables. We ended up moving some of the lighter stuff ourselves in about 2hours.

The day they came to move(it was a weekday) - weekdays were cheaper then weekends. I was at our old house, my wife was at the new house, the guys loaded everything up, brought it to the new house & my wife directed them exactly where she wanted everything setup & they did it. They even put the beds together. There was 4 guys & when I tell you they got their at 9 & my new house was all set up with the furniture in the place my wife wanted it by 1:00 I am not lying. These guys busted their a**es & were unbelievable how quick they were. It would of took 3 days for me & my buddies to move the stuff they did in 4 hours. I would do it again in a heart beat. The bill was $700 & I gave them a $200 tip too I was so impressed. The best part of the whole thing was that night my parents came to visit the new house & my dad asked me how much it cost & I told him with tip $900. He reached in his pocket, gave me 10 $100 bills & said "dont ask me for a house warming gift". I love that guy. :rolleyes:

I recommend "Cook Moving Systems".

I've sued the twice, my company uses them, and so do the Bills! (I also have 3 friends that work there).

They are honest, timely, and not too expensive.

Also, if you don't like them, try "All American Movers". I also used them once and found them cheap and reliable.

I recommend "Cook Moving Systems".

I've sued the twice, my company uses them, and so do the Bills! (I also have 3 friends that work there).

They are honest, timely, and not too expensive.

Also, if you don't like them, try "All American Movers". I also used them once and found them cheap and reliable.

Care to edit? :rolleyes:

I say fug it and have them give you a fixed quote for the whole shooting match, and I mean the whole shooting match. Last two times i moved i had pack and unpack service, just friggen awesome. Yes it was more expensive than me packing myself, but its awesome to just sit at your new house, drink a beer and direct dudes where poop goes. Averaged out to about $120/hr i paid em. Best money I have ever spent. Now it took like two whole days of ten hr days, but well worth it

And Cinci, you may be the most skeptical/cynical person I have ever met.

I say fug it and have them give you a fixed quote for the whole shooting match, and I mean the whole shooting match. Last two times i moved i had pack and unpack service, just friggen awesome. Yes it was more expensive than me packing myself, but its awesome to just sit at your new house, drink a beer and direct dudes where poop goes. Averaged out to about $120/hr i paid em. Best money I have ever spent. Now it took like two whole days of ten hr days, but well worth it

And Cinci, you may be the most skeptical/cynical person I have ever met.

Stick around long enough. You'll change your tune.