DrDawkinstein

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha thanks everyone for the replies.

inkman, great lookin pup ya got there!!

we were looking at a lab/rottweiler mix, but when we got to the shelter we found that he didnt really match the pic they put up of him and he was mixed with a lot of some kind of small terrier...

Penelope is already attached to our hips and getting better at being in her crate....

haha thanks everyone for the replies.

inkman, great lookin pup ya got there!!

we were looking at a lab/rottweiler mix, but when we got to the shelter we found that he didnt really match the pic they put up of him and he was mixed with a lot of some kind of small terrier...

Penelope is already attached to our hips and getting better at being in her crate....

Was there a step ladder involved in this mating? That's a weird mix of dogs!! :(

Blue Fire, is that a Vizsla? Seemed like a nice breed when I met one. Very high energy, tho.

Unfortunately, I'm coming off the other end of the spectrum. We had to put my 12-year-old German shorthaired pointer down in late June (abdominal cancer). It happened so suddenly. He was my little boy, my best friend and then my old man. For a couple of weeks it was like that episode of Scrubs when Dr. Kelso can't stop the tears from running down his face:

Carla: At least you stopped crying.

Dr. Kelso: Not really. My body just can't produce tears anymore because I've intentionally dehydrated myself. It's a risky move, I know, but Dr. Jarvis here said it'd be alright.

Carla: There's nobody standing behind you.

Dr. Kelso: I'm going to need an IV.

I woke up last week after having a Sammy dream and I just cried for a half hour. I have never been a crier but I imagine that when I'm 80 I'll still be shedding tears over him. And this came a year to the day that we had to put our other GSP, his father, down (Lyme/arthritis/tumors). Used to be there was unconditional love waiting for you at the front door. And now you get home and it's just so quiet and empty. You guys are so lucky to be starting off, and really, treasure each day and try not to let the small things like an occasional pee on the floor, etc., bother you b/c they will just seem so petty in the end. We've talked about getting another dog, but not right now. It's still too fresh. And I'm not sure I could handle losing another.

Blue Fire, is that a Vizsla? Seemed like a nice breed when I met one. Very high energy, tho.

Unfortunately, I'm coming off the other end of the spectrum. We had to put my 12-year-old German shorthaired pointer down in late June (abdominal cancer). It happened so suddenly. He was my little boy, my best friend and then my old man. For a couple of weeks it was like that episode of Scrubs when Dr. Kelso can't stop the tears from running down his face:

Dr. Kelso: Not really. My body just can't produce tears anymore because I've intentionally dehydrated myself. It's a risky move, I know, but Dr. Jarvis here said it'd be alright.

I woke up last week after having a Sammy dream and I just cried for a half hour. I have never been a crier but I imagine that when I'm 80 I'll still be shedding tears over him. And this came a year to the day that we had to put our other GSP, his father, down (Lyme/arthritis/tumors). Used to be there was unconditional love waiting for you at the front door. And now you get home and it's just so quiet and empty. You guys are so lucky to be starting off, and really, treasure each day and try not to let the small things like an occasional pee on the floor, etc., bother you b/c they will just seem so petty in the end. We've talked about getting another dog, but not right now. It's still too fresh. And I'm not sure I could handle losing another.

sorry for your loss. good luck in your search for peace too. I cannot even fathom the possibility of putting my dog down. I'd do it if and when I have to and I'll deal with it then, but honestly, i'd much rather NOT attempt to prepare for that day, ever. As for now, my beagle is sleeping comfortably in her cage ready to go crazy all day tomorrow.

Ink really got me on the dog kick again and I finally rescued a little fox terrier from the pound a few weeks ago. I've had 4 dogs now (West Higland mutt/ Sheltie/ Rhodesian Ridgeback/ Toy Fox Terrier)....and they are all great dogs.....and they get smarter as you go up the list.

Blue looks like he has a Ridgeback/Weimeriner mix. That dog must be loyal as can be. Looks like a great athlete from the pic.

My cousin had a pug and that is another great dog. A demanding personality..but tons of fun. She is in advertising and they used the pug for some Purina ads. Most famous member of the family.

You're right animals are really tough to lose. IMO, it's time to get another doggy. You've grieved long enough. There is some dog out there who needs a happy home and you need to help them find one. :wallbash:

And then you make a LAMP post about them! :censored:

James, im so sorry for your loss. i too put down my 13 year old Rott mix this paast April. Coincidentally enough, named Samantha (Sammy). She was my girl who I brought home as a pup when I was 16 and who spent a lot of good times in my 20s with me. its rough, horribly so, but that is the path we choose as pet owners. the best we can do is reconcile to the fact that we gave them a good, happy life. ive always said, if there is such a thing as reincarnation, i believe the best of us get to come back as a pet dog to a good family. im sure you did all you could over the years to give Sammy the best life possible, thats the most that can be asked of you.

ill be looking forward to the LAMP (look at my puppy) thread that you get to make in the upcoming months :wallbash:

Thanks, guys, but I'm just don't know. I didn't mean that as in 'I don't want to' go through losing a dog again, rather, that I can't go through that again. It just seems to be beyond grief or 'the blues.'

My uncle has had standard poodles (this is a hunting/sport breed, not the toy breed), probably six in his life, and after losing the last one in 2002 that really tore him up, he went dog-less for a while. Now, he's got another and says he really hopes he goes first (he's had/has several varieties of serious health problems) so he doesn't have to feel like that again. I almost feel like that myself now, but thing is, I'm not nearing 80.

Sorry about taking an intended happy thread and casting a shadow over it....

Rhodesian Ridgeback/Pitbull mix. I, too, thought she was a Vizsla when I first saw her.

:thumbsup: Sorry man.

You go out and get right back on that horse, mister. There's a little one out there that needs a good home - someone who cares what happens to them. You owe that to Sammy.

You go out and get right back on that horse, mister. There's a little one out there that needs a good home - someone who cares what happens to them. You owe that to Sammy.

Yup.. give it a bit of time, and then give another one a home. I had a dog of 9 years pass away back in May. We gave her a month or so and then started looking around. We winded up getting Maya from the local Siberian Husky rescue. She was 10 months old when we got her. She came from MUSH Atlanta Rescue.

Of course, we already had Trixie. Trixie was also 10 months old when we got her, she's four now. She came from The Basset Hound Rescue of Georgia.

They're polar opposites. One's a lump of dog while the other one never sits down. It's funny to watch them play. The Husky makes a great running partner.

All of that said, I was surprised at how much it hurt. I've always kind of had that "tough guy" exterior, but it was very much like loosing a family member.

I remember someone giving me the same advice once upon a time. Even though the guy's a knucklehead, the advice helped.

Thanks, guys, but I'm just don't know. I didn't mean that as in 'I don't want to' go through losing a dog again, rather, that I can't go through that again. It just seems to be beyond grief or 'the blues.'

My uncle has had standard poodles (this is a hunting/sport breed, not the toy breed), probably six in his life, and after losing the last one in 2002 that really tore him up, he went dog-less for a while. Now, he's got another and says he really hopes he goes first (he's had/has several varieties of serious health problems) so he doesn't have to feel like that again. I almost feel like that myself now, but thing is, I'm not nearing 80.

Sorry about taking an intended happy thread and casting a shadow over it....

No offense but that seems a little self centered. There is a dog out there that really needs a home and is willing to give you many, many years of great times. Laughter, compassion during your tough times, fun for you and him playing fetch or pulling against each other mano y mano on one of those rubber thingys or just relaxing together. He needs you and you need him. God forbid a family member were to pass but, if they did would you wish you'd never known them due to the pain? We outlive our pets that's just the way of the world but while it really hurts to lose one we have to move on not take it out on another dog who really wants to be your faithful friend and protector.

Like one of these dudes. :lol:

I'm sure your other doggy would like you to help another relative of his. :thumbsup:

If you get another pointer you can name him "Laser" :lol:

Yup.. give it a bit of time, and then give another one a home. I had a dog of 9 years pass away back in May. We gave her a month or so and then started looking around. We winded up getting Maya from the local Siberian Husky rescue. She was 10 months old when we got her. She came from MUSH Atlanta Rescue.

Of course, we already had Trixie. Trixie was also 10 months old when we got her, she's four now. She came from The Basset Hound Rescue of Georgia.

They're polar opposites. One's a lump of dog while the other one never sits down. It's funny to watch them play. The Husky makes a great running partner.

All of that said, I was surprised at how much it hurt. I've always kind of had that "tough guy" exterior, but it was very much like loosing a family member.

Didja hear about the skinny little wimp who went away to Alaska? He came back a husky :thumbsup: er! :lol: