Question about the last play....

MRW

Am I the only one who was confused about how that final play could've possibly worked out in Jax's favor? I mean, the pass was complete in the middle of the field, lateraled, and then possibly fumbled. Either it's Bills ball or the runner is down in the field of play and time should've run out. Was it just an overzealous whistle? It would've been the latest in a series of ridiculous plays against the Bills if Jacksonville came out of that with an extra play.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Am I the only one who was confused about how that final play could've possibly worked out in Jax's favor? I mean, the pass was complete in the middle of the field, lateraled, and then possibly fumbled. Either it's Bills ball or the runner is down in the field of play and time should've run out. Was it just an overzealous whistle? It would've been the latest in a series of ridiculous plays against the Bills if Jacksonville came out of that with an extra play.

Anyone have any insight on this?

the lateral was ruled aforward pass which was a penalty that resulted with no timeouts a ten second run off on the clock with only 3 sec left game over!

it was challenged from the booth anyways. There were 3 outcomes...

1) the forward lateral penalty with 10 seconds run off the clock... game over

2) runner ruled down by contact. Jags ball with 3 seconds to go. Do they get lined up in time to down the ball and go for a 0:01 hail mary? who knows

3) ruled a fumble, bills ball. edwards kneels in victory formation.

Either way, the right call was made. That was clearly a forward lateral.

I have no idea why you would suggest an over zealous whistle... the ref ruled a fumble... and bills recovery...end of play... no quick whistle...bills ball... change of possesion.... clock stops automatically. booth calls down to field and tells the ump to hold everything...they've decided to review to see if the runner was down by contact or if there was a fumble and a bills recovery. during the review, the booth notices that it was not a lateral... and ruled it was a forward pass. That's illegal and an offensive penalty. the rule is that if there is an offensive penaty in the last minute of play, it is a 10 second run off. so... an automatic runoff of 10 sec when there was only 3 seconds when the ref blew whistle and ruled fumble and bills recovery.

in a nutshell... the ruling is simply... during the play there was an illegal forward pass.... plain and simple... with a play stoppage at 3 sec... it's an offensive penalty... it means game over. there was no lateral, there was no fumble.

2) runner ruled down by contact. Jags ball with 3 seconds to go. Do they get lined up in time to down the ball and go for a 0:01 hail mary? who knows

bout time we got the foward lateral call right for us :devil:

I guess I wasn't clear. Why was Tasker talking like there would be a chance the Jaguars would get another play? Even in the best case scenario for them, if the lateral were legal and the runner was ruled down by contact, the clock should keep running! So how would there be any possibility of the Jags getting a play?

Yeah, but because they did stop the clock to review, there was the possibility that Jax could have run another play. If the refs originally ruled down by contact with three seconds to go, Jax never would have had time to line up and run another play since the clock was running. However because the clock was stopped for trhe review then they set the ball down and wind down the clock. Tasker was implying that it would have been possible for Jax to snap the ball in that three seconds. Still would have been tough, but possible.

I guess I wasn't clear. Why was Tasker talking like there would be a chance the Jaguars would get another play? Even in the best case scenario for them, if the lateral were legal and the runner was ruled down by contact, the clock should keep running! So how would there be any possibility of the Jags getting a play?

I know what you're saying. What if the replay had indicated that he was down by contact prior to his forward lateral? Would they have the clock stopped and 3 seconds to run another play that would have otherwise run out?

Because Tasker god bless his Buffalo Playing days sucks. He forgot about the time runoff on offensive penalties until the Ref said "END OF GAME".

Does anyone know why there is a 10 second runnoff? It's so offenses cannot intentionally jump offsides to stop the clock.

Because Tasker god bless his Buffalo Playing days sucks. He forgot about the time runoff on offensive penalties until the Ref said "END OF GAME".

Does anyone know why there is a 10 second runnoff? It's so offenses cannot intentionally jump offsides to stop the clock.

Yep.

I'm with you. There are three possibilities:

1. The bills recover a fumble (initial ruling) and take a knee. End of game.

2. It was a forward lateral. 10 seconds off clock and end of game (the final ruling).

3. It is not a forward lateral. Jaguars are tackled in the field of play with no time outs. Unless the officials call time (for a turnover), time runs out before they can run another play. Why should an official's mistake (see #1) reversed in a re-play have given them time for another play?

However you cut it, game should be over.

If say the Lateral wasnt forward....and the fumble was overturned...then yes the Jags would have had another play even though they had no timeouts and Jones-Drew was tackled in the middle of the field...they would have had another play.....

and if the ref came out of the booth and ruled it that way...giving the jags another shot...I would have quit watching the NFL

but if he's down by contact why let them try to run another play when they never would have been able to get there in the first place?? how can a dispute gibve a team a chance like that?

If say the Lateral wasnt forward....and the fumble was overturned...then yes the Jags would have had another play even though they had no timeouts and Jones-Drew was tackled in the middle of the field...they would have had another play.....

and if the ref came out of the booth and ruled it that way...giving the jags another shot...I would have quit watching the NFL

Yeah me too. That would have been it.

Now I'm pissed off.