Youboty named nickel corner

JoeF

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's the depth chart as of right now goes like this?

Greer

McGee

Youboty

Corner

McKelvin

All reports say that Corner has outplayed McKelvin at CB thus far, but would the Bills play him over a first rounder?

What a great story.

I look at this way: how many players do we have that aren't from big time schools? Omon, Bell, Corto, etc. and Corner. There was link to Peter King somewhere here that said "if you are a great division 1-AA or 2 player, there are 4 teams to go to" the Bills being one of them. And, I look at DJ, who short of Marv Levy is probably the fairest and most "confident in his decisions" coach we've ever had.

For all the reasons above, I say: absolutely. If Corner earns the right play over McKelvin, you will see him on the field.

What a great story.

I look at this way: how many players do we have that aren't from big time schools? Omon, Bell, Corto, etc. and Corner. There was link to Peter King somewhere here that said "if you are a great division 1-AA or 2 player, there are 4 teams to go to" the Bills being one of them. And, I look at DJ, who short of Marv Levy is probably the fairest and most "confident in his decisions" coach we've ever had.

For all the reasons above, I say: absolutely. If Corner earns the right play over McKelvin, you will see him on the field.

McKelvin isn't exactly from a "big time program" himself.

Congrats to Youboty for stepping up. I was a serious doubter, but he managed to get his head twisted on straight just in time.

So it's the depth chart as of right now goes like this?

Greer

McGee

Youboty

Corner

McKelvin

All reports say that Corner has outplayed McKelvin at CB thus far, but would the Bills play him over a first rounder?

the current depth chart shows McKelvin as the #2 LCB, and Corner as the #2 RCB, and Youbouty as the #3

weird, maybe out of date...

McKelvin isn't exactly from a "big time program" himself.

True, which kinda reinforces my point, right? We have always been successful when we take the best players we can find, regardless of pedigree. This started with Bill Polian taking Bruce Smith and Andre Reed. Don't forget, the majority of experts said we were nuts for taking Smith, and they had no idea who Reed was. We picked up Tasker off of the waiver wire and we traded a lot for Bennett.

These weren't the most popular moves, in fact they were ridiculed, but oh how the "mighty" fell once they hit the field. I see similar thinking being reintroduced the last 3 years, and it's working, again. The biggest thing you get when you take a player from a not-so-big school? Great attitude and lots of hustle right off the bat.

Steve Johnson is setting himself up to be a steal, so is Fine, Corner, Bell, Ellis...the list goes on.

True, which kinda reinforces my point, right? We have always been successful when we take the best players we can find, regardless of pedigree. This started with Bill Polian taking Bruce Smith and Andre Reed. Don't forget, the majority of experts said we were nuts for taking Smith, and they had no idea who Reed was. We picked up Tasker off of the waiver wire and we traded a lot for Bennett.

These weren't the most popular moves, in fact they were ridiculed, but oh how the "mighty" fell once they hit the field. I see similar thinking being reintroduced the last 3 years, and it's working, again. The biggest thing you get when you take a player from a not-so-big school? Great attitude and lots of hustle right off the bat.

Steve Johnson is setting himself up to be a steal, so is Fine, Corner, Bell, Ellis...the list goes on.

My favorite was that ESPN said Wright was the steal of the draft last year....

Well, I dunno. The only guys from less distinguished programs that Marv drafted were John Wendling and Terrance Pennington in my view and both of them were nearer the bottom of the draft. This year, Marv was not (directly) involved and the Bills hit the smaller schools up to the tune of 4 players: McKelvin, Corner, Omon, and Bell. Not sure what sort a trend a single draft is though.

Bruce Smith was certainly not from a small time football program (though there were red flags on his work ethic and maturity -- fortunately his pride didn't permit him to flame out and fail -- not that it was a perfect ride either), and Cornelius Bennett was from as big-time a program as it gets (fortunately for the Bills, they were the recipients of Bennett and his agent deciding to hold out and refusing to play for the Colts). Tasker played college ball at Northwestern, which is still in the Big-11 last I heard.

Bruce was pretty much a consensus No.1 and the trade for Bennett was far from ridiculed.

Well, I dunno. The only guys from less distinguished programs that Marv drafted were John Wendling and Terrance Pennington in my view and both of them were nearer the bottom of the draft. This year, Marv was not (directly) involved and the Bills hit the smaller schools up to the tune of 4 players: McKelvin, Corner, Omon, and Bell. Not sure what sort a trend a single draft is though.

Bruce Smith was certainly not from a small time football program (though there were red flags on his work ethic and maturity -- fortunately his pride didn't permit him to flame out and fail -- not that it was a perfect ride either), and Cornelius Bennett was from as big-time a program as it gets (fortunately for the Bills, they were the recipients of Bennett and his agent deciding to hold out and refusing to play for the Colts). Tasker played college ball at Northwestern, which is still in the Big-11 last I heard.

At the time? VT was nowhere near the program it is today. I distinctly remember hearing/reading that back in the day. And, I didn't really get that right: I meant he was controversial because we were "supposed" to draft a QB. If Ralph had his way, we would have drafted Flutie, :devil: , instead of Smith.

What about DiGiorgio, Fred Jackson, etc.? I'm not just talking about the draft. We didn't get Tasker from the draft, and not only was he at the bottom, he got cut. I'm talking about using every avenue to get players, and not just starters, but guys who can contribute and can even help win a game. Marv/Polian/Butler used every opportunity to get players on their team, from FA = Lofton, draft, whatever it takes.

I also distinctly remember Mr. Kiper, and the rest, saying that the Bills "gave up way to much" to get Bennett.

Hmmm....

This creates a unusual/funny problem. McKelvin was a early first round pick and we are paying him a lot of cash, especially to sit on the bench. Most players picked around him will likely be starting at some point in the year. Does this mean he is going to take someones place? And who's? Will he become a starter only by injury? I can't see us only using him on kick returns - that's a high price to pay.

I wonder if this signals Greer or McGee leaving within the next couple of years? It's funny that we have too many CBs now.

Hmmm....

This creates a unusual/funny problem. McKelvin was a early first round pick and we are paying him a lot of cash, especially to sit on the bench. Most players picked around him will likely be starting at some point in the year. Does this mean he is going to take someones place? And who's? Will he become a starter only by injury? I can't see us only using him on kick returns - that's a high price to pay.

I wonder if this signals Greer or McGee leaving within the next couple of years? It's funny that we have too many CBs now.

It is funny, to certain degree. The "draft O line/D line even if they are the 10th best guy at their position" crowd isn't happy.

Also, I'm setting the over/under on Youboty starting at CB(taking over for Greer) at 5.5 games, right after the bye week. His talent is really starting to show, and pure talent always overcomes, eventually.

It's been a strange trip: it started with letting Nate Clements go, and it has been rocky all the way here, and we certainly aren't out of the woods yet, but Youboty being Clements replacement is starting to look more and more viable each passing day.

the current depth chart shows McKelvin as the #2 LCB, and Corner as the #2 RCB, and Youbouty as the #3

weird, maybe out of date...

The website is maintained by a company in Chicago and is often out of date. Sometimes they have had glaring mistakes (i.e. score wrong) which would never happen if maintainer had interest in Bills.