Random thoughts on Week 1

Acantha

- Didn't see the game, but Turner Gill is a godsend for Buffalo. That said, I can't see him sticking around too long

- Syracuse is downright horrible. Robinson should not have a job coaching college football

- I think if Cuse could get Gill, they could slowly regain a place among the top of the Big East. Not sure it's a job he'd want, but continuing in a familiar recruiting area, in a school that still has some lingering prestige (barely), in the smallest major conference....might be a good stepping stone.

- I think the ACC is all alone at the bottom of the major conferences...and it's not even close. Outside of Miami, who has a solid coach and incredible recruiting, nobody is even heading in the right direction (I'm willing to give BC a big ?, but I'm not optimistic).

- We'll see how they do this season, but I think Spurrier lost his touch during his vacation from college football. They've recruited too much talent over the past few years to be playing such sloppy football.

- I realize how deep my hatred for Miami (dolphins) goes when I get a kick out of Pitt losing for no apparent reason other than Wannstedt being the coach. Great quote: "It would have been nice to get a touchdown but, you know, we follow the leader," McCoy said of Wannstedt.

- I think for the first time in a couple years the SEC has competition for top conference. The Big 12 looks GOOD. It's still like comparing Usain Bolt to the reset of the field, but hey, at least there's a field. :devil:

- I am impressed with what Harbaugh is doing at Stanford. Still a ways away, but that team is disciplined, well coached, and has some talented guys playing very well together. They are the anti-Syracuse.

- USC looks great again, but I think they lose at least 1 game this year. I don't think there is another team out there that gets more fear out of opponents based on pure reputation. You can see opposing players practically shaking in their cleats as they line up on the field.

- Michigan looked a lot better than I thought they would given the circumstances. Obviously they need to get a running game going, but given damn near every bit of their top talent is gone on top of the whole coach and scheme change thing, they looked decent. I figure it'll take RR about 4 or 5 years to be consistent threat to Ohio St. to win the Big 10, but in the mean time I don't think they will be quite so down and out as I thought they would.(BTW, did anyone else see that play where the whole O-line didn't move? Very weird.)

- Holy crap Mizz, how many times do you have to be kicked in the nuts before you keep your safeties deep!

- Coffman, it's fun to watch, but you're not going to make it through the season if hurdling defenders is a consistent part of your game.

- One more note on Coffman, I think he's losing draft stock every game by not lining up as a TE. The NFL doesn't often draft big, slow slot receivers early in the draft, no matter how tough they are. He needs to show that he can block. (Not that all this should matter to Mizz, they need to do whatever gets them the win, just an observation)

- Despite the score, I thought Michigan State's defense, in particular the front 7, looked pretty good. They were well prepared and technically sound group who got worn down by a superior offense, but I think they are on a good track.

- Congrats to JoPa for tying the games won record. Now, lets not hear about this again until at least one of these guys retires.

- I'm looking forward to the Tenn/UCLA game tomorrow night.

- Based on week one, it's going to be a hell of a finish. There are some awesome teams this year; it's going to be fun watching them sort themselves out.

- Didn't see the game, but Turner Gill is a godsend for Buffalo. That said, I can't see him sticking around too long

- Syracuse is downright horrible. Robinson should not have a job coaching college football

- I think if Cuse could get Gill, they could slowly regain a place among the top of the Big East. Not sure it's a job he'd want, but continuing in a familiar recruiting area, in a school that still has some lingering prestige (barely), in the smallest major conference....might be a good stepping stone.

Interestingly enough, when Bama was looking for a coach a couple of years back, Turner Gill's name popped up as one of those "not likely to happen, but he is a coach on the rise and is somebody to keep an eye on" possibility. If a school like Bama has eyed him up, there are probably a lot of Syracuse type schools that have their sights set on him. Within two years, UB will be looking for a new coach. They better enjoy Gill while they got him.

I also agree with your point about Gill and Syracuse. If Syracuse landed Gill and gave Gill the proper resources to go recruit, Syracuse could make some serious noise in the weak Big East.

- I think the ACC is all alone at the bottom of the major conferences...and it's not even close. Outside of Miami, who has a solid coach and incredible recruiting, nobody is even heading in the right direction (I'm willing to give BC a big ?, but I'm not optimistic).

I guess that depends if you consider the Big East a major conference or not. But yeah, across the board, the ACC is looking pretty weak. As an AJC article suggested, maybe the ACC should stick to basketball.

After my initial giddiness of the beating Bama gave Clemson wore off, I have subdued my outlook of Bama this year. Clearly, Clemson was grossly over-hyped. The beating they took just revealed the truth.

- We'll see how they do this season, but I think Spurrier lost his touch during his vacation from college football. They've recruited too much talent over the past few years to be playing such sloppy football.

I do not know if Spurrier has lost his touch, or is just facing stiffer competition. The competition in the SEC has improved dramatically since Spurrier last coached in Gainesville.

- I realize how deep my hatred for Miami (dolphins) goes when I get a kick out of Pitt losing for no apparent reason other than Wannstedt being the coach. Great quote: "It would have been nice to get a touchdown but, you know, we follow the leader," McCoy said of Wannstedt.

- I think for the first time in a couple years the SEC has competition for top conference. The Big 12 looks GOOD. It's still like comparing Usain Bolt to the reset of the field, but hey, at least there's a field. :devil:

- I am impressed with what Harbaugh is doing at Stanford. Still a ways away, but that team is disciplined, well coached, and has some talented guys playing very well together. They are the anti-Syracuse.

- USC looks great again, but I think they lose at least 1 game this year. I don't think there is another team out there that gets more fear out of opponents based on pure reputation. You can see opposing players practically shaking in their cleats as they line up on the field.

- Michigan looked a lot better than I thought they would given the circumstances. Obviously they need to get a running game going, but given damn near every bit of their top talent is gone on top of the whole coach and scheme change thing, they looked decent. I figure it'll take RR about 4 or 5 years to be consistent threat to Ohio St. to win the Big 10, but in the mean time I don't think they will be quite so down and out as I thought they would.(BTW, did anyone else see that play where the whole O-line didn't move? Very weird.)

I hope Rich Rod screws up Mee-sh*ttty-gan to the point it takes decades for UM to recover.

- Congrats to JoPa for tying the games won record. Now, lets not hear about this again until at least one of these guys retires.

I hope Paterno coaches for another 10 years. That will continue making Bowden a thorn in the side of the FSU program for years.

Robinson is a very good college D coord. He'll get a job doing so, and deservedly so.

Agreed on this one.

I dunno about that. They really started putting together recruitign classes only 3 years ago, with the best being 07, who are mostly redshirt freshmen/sophmores right now. I think the year to judge Spurrier is next year.

The Big 12 was damn good last year too, and pretty close to the SEC. I expect the Big 12 to be the top conference at the end of the year.

Harbaugh aint gonna be there long, someone's going to throw a ton of money his way.

- I'm looking forward to the Tenn/UCLA game tomorrow night.

What a great friggin game! That 4th quarter is what college ball is all about!

How about the difference in that UCLA QB from the 1st half to the 2nd? And those WR's were laying it all out there in the 4th quarter! Best game of the week.

I was very surprised at how much passing the Wolverines did in that game against the Utes. What's even more surprising is how they relied more on a freshman RB in Sam McGuffie, than experienced RB's in Brandon Minor & Carlos Brown. Michigan has the atheletes for the offense, except they have a big "?" at QB. They really should exploit the talent at RB that they have instead of passing on every down. The Wolverines will have to rely on their defense in order to stay in games this year. The defense stepped it up in the 2nd half and allowed only 3 points.

I did see that play when the O-Line did'nt move. They actually did it twice. Ironically the first time they did that, it turned out to be a big play on offense.

Hard to argue with ANYTHING T-Gill has done thus far, or the AD Manuel for that matter. What a huge turnaround. Buffalo is a great football town, that's been proven...Hopefully they can make a Bowl this season and continue to build their fan base.

We shall see. Tough to criticize when they got up to #6 in the nation last year with a very young team. Too young to handle that hype at the time, but they should be mature enough to handle that pressure this season. If not, I agree it's on the coach (especially a coach who knows what it's like to have a team at the top of the polls.) They definitely have the talent, and a 34-0 win in the opener against a BCS-conference team, where some sloppiness might be expected, is a good start.

SEC will continue to claim their conference schedule makes them the best, which is hard to dispute. However, the only team that is willing to leave the southeast and actually play a non-conference road game, Tennessee, continues to lose to middle-of-the-road PAC 10 teams. Makes you wonder.

The Big 12 isn't the best conference, but definitely legit. By far the best quarterbacking, across the board. Sam Bradford could throw for 4,000 yards, complete 70% of his passes, and not make 2nd team all conference. That's crazy.

Nobody is scared of a team's uniform. The reason teams fear USC is because they bring a BIG TIME effort every game. It is easy to hate them, and say what you want about Pete Carroll, but his team is consistently the most well-prepared and plays with as much intensity as anyone. They perhaps overlooked Stanford last season (Booty did break his finger and throw 4 INT's in the game) and that's really the only time in Carroll's reign that I can remember where they didn't quite bring 100%.

Their big question mark was going to be Sanchez and the WR's. If they can play with ANY similarity to the Virginia game, they may go undefeated to the title game. Seven TD's to seven players, with total domination on defense, in a 52-7 win 3,000 miles from home, is a decent start....Looking at their schedule, if they get past OSU at the Coliseum, most of their other "tough" conference games (Oregon, ASU) will also be at home...

Christ. Get a clue. The ACC is in a real slump, but you not noticing the real fact that FSU is headed in the right direction is nothing more than simple FSU-UF rivalry hatred. You can be anti-FSU. I dont care. I'll freely admit that i am anti-UF, but i at least dont try to pass my UF hatred off as "real analysis." If you think Miami is the only ACC team headed in the right direction, its because your swelled SEC chest is blocking your vision.

Christ. Get a clue. The ACC is in a real slump, but you not noticing the real fact that FSU is headed in the right direction is nothing more than simple FSU-UF rivalry hatred. You can be anti-FSU. I dont care. I'll freely admit that i am anti-UF, but i at least dont try to pass my UF hatred off as "real analysis." If you think Miami is the only ACC team headed in the right direction, its because your swelled SEC chest is blocking your vision.

1. Never said it was "real analysis". Said "random thoughts". And I'll have whatever random thoughts I damn well please.

2. I don't believe FSU is headed in the right direction. I do not think holding on to a coach past his prime, not pulling in very great recruiting classes (especially compared to UF and Miami), and probably having scholarships taken away, is heading in the right direction. Sue me.

3. I could honestly not care less about FSU outside of one week per year. I just don't care. I have enough teams in the SEC to hate, like Georgia and Tennessee, without worrying about a team that can't even get out of it's own way. I didn't mention FSU because I don't consider them worth mentioning, not because of some seeded hatred I have for them. If I cared at all, I would have brought them up negatively, like I did some other schools.

So the clue is yours for the taking man. If you want to read into what I'm saying as a personal shot against your school, so be it.

1. Never said it was "real analysis". Said "random thoughts". And I'll have whatever random thoughts I damn well please.

2. I don't believe FSU is headed in the right direction. I do not think holding on to a coach past his prime, not pulling in very great recruiting classes (especially compared to UF and Miami), and probably having scholarships taken away, is heading in the right direction. Sue me.

3. I could honestly not care less about FSU outside of one week per year. I just don't care. I have enough teams in the SEC to hate, like Georgia and Tennessee, without worrying about a team that can't even get out of it's own way. I didn't mention FSU because I don't consider them worth mentioning, not because of some seeded hatred I have for them. If I cared at all, I would have brought them up negatively, like I did some other schools.

So the clue is yours for the taking man. If you want to read into what I'm saying as a personal shot against your school, so be it.

1. Bobby is past his prime. Bobby also has virtually no input on the day-to-day dealings with the team. Jimbo Fisher is running the offense now, and Boby helps with some overall gameplanning, but he's not the main offensive brain like he was in 90's.

2. When it comes to recruiting, i see you are one of the lemmings that is blinded by "star rankings" and ESPN's "class rankings." Color me less than impressed. FSU was pulling in top-5 classes early this decade and this got us nowhere. Along with the changes in offensive coaches last season, the scouting/recruiting on the offensive side got an overhaul. They dont simply work their way down the list starting with the 5-star prospects. The staff, especially Rick Trickett, has targeted specific players and goes after them. Trickett runs a zone blocking scheme on the OL, similar to denver and atlanta, meaning he's looking for a different type of OL than normal.

3. If you dont pay attention to the ACC very much they you have no credibility when toss out like blanket statements like, "Miami is the only team going in the right direction." Miami is roughly at the same point FSU is in their rebuilding. They didnt even make a bowl game last eyar, and have roughly the same upside as FSU, with 9 wins being their absolute max. Truth be told, miami will probably only win 7 this season.

1. Bobby is past his prime. Bobby also has virtually no input on the day-to-day dealings with the team. Jimbo Fisher is running the offense now, and Boby helps with some overall gameplanning, but he's not the main offensive brain like he was in 90's.

2. When it comes to recruiting, i see you are one of the lemmings that is blinded by "star rankings" and ESPN's "class rankings." Color me less than impressed. FSU was pulling in top-5 classes early this decade and this got us nowhere. Along with the changes in offensive coaches last season, the scouting/recruiting on the offensive side got an overhaul. They dont simply work their way down the list starting with the 5-star prospects. The staff, especially Rick Trickett, has targeted specific players and goes after them. Trickett runs a zone blocking scheme on the OL, similar to denver and atlanta, meaning he's looking for a different type of OL than normal.

3. If you dont pay attention to the ACC very much they you have no credibility when toss out like blanket statements like, "Miami is the only team going in the right direction." Miami is roughly at the same point FSU is in their rebuilding. They didnt even make a bowl game last eyar, and have roughly the same upside as FSU, with 9 wins being their absolute max. Truth be told, miami will probably only win 7 this season.

The best chance for the ACC to climb up the so called power rankings is for Florida State & Miami to regain their dominance. Whether it happens or not, I guess we will have to wait & find out. My thought on the original ACC teams is that they just do not care enough about football. they are basketball schools & to be honest with you that will probably never change. Miami, FSU & V Tech are really the only schools in that conference that make football the priority.

As far as the SEC, it is the attitude of the poster with the Bama logo that makes people hate them so much. The arrogance from that conference is unbelievable. No teams are willing to go outside the southeast to play a NC game & when they do(Tenn) they get bitched slapped. There is no doubt in my mind that if LSU or Florida would have the balls & go out & play a team like Oregon in Eugene this year they would lose. I am thouroughly amazed that Georgia is actually willing to go to the desert this year & play ASU in 2 weeks. They have nothing to gain from that game & they could lose.

As far as the Big East, I would probably put it on par with the ACC right now giving the BE a slight edge due to the fact I think W Virginia & USF are better then any team in the ACC right now. As far as Syracuse goes, they are one of the 5 worst teams in all of D-1 football, which is unbelievable considering they are from a BCS conference. Louisville is not much better. As a SU alum, I am ashamed of what that program has become. Turner Gill would be a great hire to turn that program around.

The best chance for the ACC to climb up the so called power rankings is for Florida State & Miami to regain their dominance. Whether it happens or not, I guess we will have to wait & find out. My thought on the original ACC teams is that they just do not care enough about football. they are basketball schools & to be honest with you that will probably never change. Miami, FSU & V Tech are really the only schools in that conference that make football the priority.

As far as the SEC, it is the attitude of the poster with the Bama logo that makes people hate them so much. The arrogance from that conference is unbelievable. No teams are willing to go outside the southeast to play a NC game & when they do(Tenn) they get bitched slapped. There is no doubt in my mind that if LSU or Florida would have the balls & go out & play a team like Oregon in Eugene this year they would lose. I am thouroughly amazed that Georgia is actually willing to go to the desert this year & play ASU in 2 weeks. They have nothing to gain from that game & they could lose.

As far as the Big East, I would probably put it on par with the ACC right now giving the BE a slight edge due to the fact I think W Virginia & USF are better then any team in the ACC right now. As far as Syracuse goes, they are one of the 5 worst teams in all of D-1 football, which is unbelievable considering they are from a BCS conference. Louisville is not much better. As a SU alum, I am ashamed of what that program has become. Turner Gill would be a great hire to turn that program around.

Good post. I've said before, the ACC is in a down cycle, in large part to both Miami and FSU not being good. Us 2 teams basically carry the conference. But, we do have the potential in the future to have 3 very good teams (FSU, UM, VT), and a handful of decent teams (BC, Wake, Ga Tech, Clemson).

As for the SEC, you hit the nail on the head. No one is going to argue that SEC teams arent good, but its the arrogance of SEC fans that turns most people off to those teams. SEC fans are almost on par with pats* fans in their obnoxious arrogance. They think they are so great, and that their "so-great" conference should give them a title game berth, but they are so afraid to play any good OOC competition.

While I agree that some take it too far, that is what college football is all about! The conference rivalry/superiority competition has taken over college ball....to the point that fans are cheering for their most hated rivals in other games because they want their conference to win. And as everyone is so fond of saying, conferences go through highs and lows; you take your opportunity to brag on your conference/team while you have the chance. Of course I brag on the SEC, if the Big East, ACC or Big 10 had the same level of play they would be doing the same thing. But for now...boo F'n hoo for them.

As far as the opponents go, I answered this in another thread. If you are a team like Ohio St, and only have 1, maybe 2 other elite teams in your conference, you have to travel to get the competition. The SEC has no reason to do this. Any given year they have 4-6 top teams, why on earth would they go out of their way and TRAVEL to get more competition? It doesn't make sense...UNLESS, they are doing so for the sake of recruiting. THAT is why Tenn. has decided to play out of conference games across the country. The same reason Texas went to UCF last year (or so said the coach). If a team thinks the benefits outweigh the risks, it makes sense. Outside of that, there is no reason for the SEC and Big 12 to travel. 10 years from now, when the landscape has most likely changed, it will be other conferences doing the same thing.

Good post. I've said before, the ACC is in a down cycle, in large part to both Miami and FSU not being good. Us 2 teams basically carry the conference. But, we do have the potential in the future to have 3 very good teams (FSU, UM, VT), and a handful of decent teams (BC, Wake, Ga Tech, Clemson).

As for the SEC, you hit the nail on the head. No one is going to argue that SEC teams arent good, but its the arrogance of SEC fans that turns most people off to those teams. SEC fans are almost on par with pats* fans in their obnoxious arrogance. They think they are so great, and that their "so-great" conference should give them a title game berth, but they are so afraid to play any good OOC competition.

I stand corrected, the Big East is by far the worst conference out of the big 6 this year & probably worse then 2 or three other non BCS conferences(Mountain West & Boise/Fresno St conference comes to mind). Although Miami lost 26-3 to Florida, I thought their team defense looked pretty good. FSU was certainly impressive however tough to see where they are at given the competition they played saturday. We will get a better idea about them in the next few weeks. Wake Forest is a tough hard nose football team that probably beat any team in the Big east on a neutral field. USF has a big game at home against Kansas friday night.

The SEC has no reason to do this. Any given year they have 4-6 top teams, why on earth would they go out of their way and TRAVEL to get more competition? It doesn't make sense...UNLESS, they are doing so for the sake of recruiting. THAT is why Tenn. has decided to play out of conference games across the country. The same reason Texas went to UCF last year (or so said the coach).

THIS is the exact attitude that leads to everyone believing that SEC fans are arrogant and obnoxious. The smug cloud coming from SEC country chokes the rest of us here in the southeast.

THIS is the exact attitude that leads to everyone believing that SEC fans are arrogant and obnoxious. The smug cloud coming from SEC country chokes the rest of us here in the southeast.

Believing Mack went to UCF for some need to recruit from there is silly as well. We've recruited all of 4 players out of the state since 2003, and Texas provides plenty of talent.

Believing Mack went to UCF for some need to recruit from there is silly as well. We've recruited all of 4 players out of the state since 2003, and Texas provides plenty of talent.

Their coach said that, not me. I saw it in a write up before the game. They asked why Texas would accept an away game at UCF when they could have easily made them come to TX, and they said for recruits. Too long ago to offer a link, but it's true. I don't have any reason to make that up.

Their coach said that, not me. I saw it in a write up before the game. They asked why Texas would accept an away game at UCF when they could have easily made them come to TX, and they said for recruits. Too long ago to offer a link, but it's true. I don't have any reason to make that up.

I wasn't saying that you were lying, I was simply saying that it was silly to believe what he said at face value.

• 3 weeks later...
Nobody is scared of a team's uniform. The reason teams fear USC is because they bring a BIG TIME effort every game. It is easy to hate them, and say what you want about Pete Carroll, but his team is consistently the most well-prepared and plays with as much intensity as anyone. They perhaps overlooked Stanford last season (Booty did break his finger and throw 4 INT's in the game) and that's really the only time in Carroll's reign that I can remember where they didn't quite bring 100%.

See what I'm saying? Get in a team in there that isn't scared of them, and they make a game out of it. I would never call USC overrated (as a team in general, the actual rankings are another thing); the talent on that team is just sick and Carroll is good coach. They just get used to teams letting them win.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.