McGee or McKelvin

rjwjr21668

I think they should both be back there unless McGee is playing a little banged up, or if McGee just came off of the field from a long drive by the opposing offense. If just one is back there, the opponent is going to kick away from them. Makes no sense not to use them both as long as McGee is fresh and healthy.

I think they should both be back there unless McGee is playing a little banged up, or if McGee just came off of the field from a long drive by the opposing offense. If just one is back there, the opponent is going to kick away from them. Makes no sense not to use them both as long as McGee is fresh and healthy.

I agree, but doesn't seem like teams put two deep on KR anymore.

I already read somewhere, I think the BN, that they are going to put both back there. The kicking team is going to have to pick their poison.

Here is one instance where Chris Brown speaks about it, and this was written before April actually instituted using both of them during training camp:

http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3616

Here's some more about Parrish and McKelvin:

http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3794

McGee hands down. He is a "special" special teams player. If not for Devon Hester, he would be referred to as the best kick returner in the league. From a personel point of view, I used to head to the kitchen or crapper during kickoffs, but with McGee back there, there is definite excitement and I wait to do the prior mentioned activities when our offense takes the field. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I agree, but doesn't seem like teams put two deep on KR anymore.

Because most teams don't have two great guys to put back there.

With all due respect to McGee, I think that McKelvin just seems a little more explosive. Call me crazy, but when he hits his break and decides to make that big move he looks like Devin Hester. It's that extra gear that only really great kick returners posses. McGee is a very good returner, but I think McKelvin could be even better. Hell, he may already be. Watch them objectively. McKelvin seems more electric already. Not to mention the fact that one is a starter in our defensive secondary and one is not.

They're both great. Let's not lose sight of that. But McGee is our top CB, therefore he is extremely important. I want him to be fresh for defending top WRs, so I think he should not return kicks anymore, purely for the sake of fatigue and injury prevention. McKelvin can handle the return kick duties, getting by on instincts and athleticism, while still learning the ropes as a CB.

Who do you think should be the primary KR to start 2008? Any chance both could be in at the same time?

Exactly what I would hope is done. Put both of them back there at one time and the opposition has no choice but to kick towards one of them. If one of them gets banged up or is a bit winded put Fred Jackson or even Roscoe back there as a 3rd option to spell whoever needs it!!

GO BILLS :oops::wallbash::worthy:

They're both great. Let's not lose sight of that. But McGee is our top CB, therefore he is extremely important. I want him to be fresh for defending top WRs, so I think he should not return kicks anymore, purely for the sake of fatigue and injury prevention. McKelvin can handle the return kick duties, getting by on instincts and athleticism, while still learning the ropes as a CB.

During the Lions game, Steve Tasker made a pretty good point, even though he belabored it a bit. He said if your KRs are doing down and distance, as well as returns, you're gonna suffer. They're just too tired. The next play was evidence, even though it was Scott Mayle (I think). The player was winded. I agree, fatigue and injury point away from McGee.

I mentioned in another thread that I expect McKelvin to return kickoffs since those tend to happen after the defense has been on the field for an entire series.

The "both back" is entirely inconsistent with how Bobby April has coached the kickoff returns since he's been here. They've always lined up 5 along the line, (in part to prevent onside kicks) one more player in the middle of the field about 10 yards back - that player is the Tasker/Wire/clone ST "ace", four players in a diamond setup around the 10-20, and the returner. The "bottom of the diamond" is expected to make the key block at the point of attack to spring the return, with the other three+"ace" forming the wedge just in front of them. Barnes apparently has the "bottom" job this season. If you put two KRs back, there's one less blocker and you have to design an entirely different return scheme.

I mentioned in another thread that I expect McKelvin to return kickoffs since those tend to happen after the defense has been on the field for an entire series.

The "both back" is entirely inconsistent with how Bobby April has coached the kickoff returns since he's been here. They've always lined up 5 along the line, (in part to prevent onside kicks) one more player in the middle of the field about 10 yards back - that player is the Tasker/Wire/clone ST "ace", four players in a diamond setup around the 10-20, and the returner. The "bottom of the diamond" is expected to make the key block at the point of attack to spring the return, with the other three+"ace" forming the wedge just in front of them. Barnes apparently has the "bottom" job this season. If you put two KRs back, there's one less blocker and you have to design an entirely different return scheme.

Well, he's been doing it, and apparently has done it in the past. Links above.

With all due respect to McGee, I think that McKelvin just seems a little more explosive. Call me crazy, but when he hits his break and decides to make that big move he looks like Devin Hester. It's that extra gear that only really great kick returners posses. McGee is a very good returner, but I think McKelvin could be even better. Hell, he may already be. Watch them objectively. McKelvin seems more electric already. Not to mention the fact that one is a starter in our defensive secondary and one is not.

You're not crazy. McKelvin is closer to what Hester is than McGee is.

Also, allow McGee to focus on playing CB.

You're spot on.

You're not crazy. McKelvin is closer to what Hester is than McGee is.

Also, allow McGee to focus on playing CB.

You're spot on.

I'd go with McKelvin & Parrish, and maybe give McGee an occasional chance. A nice situation to have with 3 players who are threats.