Hypothetical Tim Tebow Question

DDD

Good post. I wonder how many people that posted in this thread actually saw Tebow play, I'll bet not many........other than for maybe a game or two. I think Tebow could be a GREAT slash type player in the league.

I've seen Tebow play plenty...Florida may as well be UNC with as much as they are on the tube down here...

I like His makeup...He seems to be a decent Kid with a great dedication to the Game...He's an excellent College QB, which means next to nothing on the next level of coarse...

That being said I'm not going to deny His strengths...His 66% Completion rate is darn good for a QB who pretty obviously looks to Run 1st...His TD to INT ratio is very impressive which tells Me the Kid learns quickly where the Ball needs to go on any given Play in their Offense...And He is clearly a Leader on that Team...

Projecting Tebow to the NFL is near impossible, but I definitely do not see him as a "Slash" type the same way I did not see Vick or Vince Young as slash-types...In todays NFL, when you Pick a Kid high (and I'm going to go ahead and assume some Team is going to Pick Tebow relatively high), NFL Teams cannot afford to have that Player fill anything other than a Full Time QB spot...So more than anything Tebow is going to have to adapt to the NFL, not the other way around...Similar to VY...The thing about Tebow in comparison to VY is that, IMHO, He's nowhere near the runner VY is...Tebow is a very good athlete, but VY is an elite athlete as a scrambler...In fact He's the best I've ever seen...I think tebow will be slowed down a bit in His ability to Run as a Pro simply because defenses are bigger/stronger/faster...Something Young had little to no problem adapting to (considering His scrambling ability only)...Now Tebow may very well develop into a better Passer than VY...Not that it's a hard thing to do...But Tebow's completion percentage numbers will lead some to believe He at least has a shot at being a decent NFL Passer in time...

When I look at Tebow the #1 Red Flag I see is His over-willingness to take off and Run...Almost like it's 2nd nature to Him...We'll see if He can curb some of that this coming Season...He took a big step in the right direction last year, so there is no reason to believe He can't take another positive step in 2008...

As far as Tebow with The Bills? For God sake can We not just trust that Trent will step up and be the Guy until He's at least had a full Season to show He can't? :thumbsup:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crouch ran the option and was a terrible passer. As much as I despise Tebow he can be a decent QB and show some touch here and there.

And Tebow runs the spread option. I'm also pretty sure I said he was a better passer than Crouch, Rice, Peete (and most other run-first QB's) but that doesn't mean he's going to be a good pro QB. He's a decent passer, not great and not terrible.

"Tebow is in Urban Meyer's system. Alex Smith was a great QB in Urban Meyer's system. By the way, how's it working out for that guy in San Fran?"

Yes, well. Smith is NOwhere the athlete Tebow is, and Smith was able to run Meyer's offense against WAC teams, not the SEC. I was disgusted when the 49ers picked Smith but that was a really thin year at QB in the college ranks and they needed one.

I think Tebow could be a pretty good pro. Maybe a notch below Rothelisberger. It will be interesting to see how he does for the Gators this year with a weaker receiving corps and Percy Harvin banged up. I thought teams were game-planning for Tebow way too much last year, even to the point of run-blitzing up the middle. If I were a def. coordinator I would just try to cover Florida's WRs as best I could and see how he does in the pocket once the DEs get something going on the outside. His strength is running up the middle on set plays, not scrambling out of trouble.

Hell no. Tim Tebow is an absolute garbage passer, and is nothing more than the product of a gimmick offense. He can get by on his running ability in college, wheres he's bigger and faster than most. When he gets to the pros, everyone is going to be just as big and fast as him and he's going to get destroyed. He's got nowhere the elusiveness of a Vince Young.

Translation: Florida is clearly superior to your alma mater.

Trent Edwards is the guy DJ wants to run the offense. He's smart, and for a rookie last year had a tremendous ability to look for open receivers. JP is out of here at the end of the season and we will need another QB. If Edwards has an awful year and we are in a position to draft Tim Tebow would you take him? The guy reminds me a Steve Young having a great arm and runs like a half back-full back hybrid. Thoughts?

Absofrickinloutely. However....winning the H Trophy does NOT guarantee success in the NFL. Lots of H Trophy winners have flopped. Tebow is not a pure QB and if he tries tries to run the ball in the NFL the way he does at UF, he will last about 3 games. Still, the upshot and potential are big.

To clear up a few misconceptions...

If you think Manning and Brady are non-athletic putzes, who are as immobile as they may look next to the freakish NFL defenses, you're out of your mind. Those guys are both ELITE athletes. If they showed up to your little weekend, pick-up basketball game, or your slow-pitch softball league they would be the fastest, strongest, most agile players on the field by far.

Look at the passing numbers from Tebow. I think some of you Big Ten'ers are a little delusional up here. There definetly seems to be a lot of unwarranted Tebow hate on this board. The guy did what he did in the SEC (best conference in the country) as a SOPHOMORE. Anyone willing to write him off after he has one a Heisman and National Championship in his forst two years is just an idiot.

Translation: Florida is clearly superior to your alma mater.

No. Translation: Tim Tebow is an absolute garbage passer, and is nothing more than the product of a gimmick offense. He can get by on his running ability in college, wheres he's bigger and faster than most. When he gets to the pros, everyone is going to be just as big and fast as him and he's going to get destroyed. He's got nowhere the elusiveness of a Vince Young.

No. Translation: Tim Tebow is an absolute garbage passer, and is nothing more than the product of a gimmick offense. He can get by on his running ability in college, wheres he's bigger and faster than most. When he gets to the pros, everyone is going to be just as big and fast as him and he's going to get destroyed. He's got nowhere the elusiveness of a Vince Young.

Funny how us FSU alums/fans can't have a negative opinion about a Florida or Miami player without being accused of jealousy and sour grapes, huh?