McCain doesn't know how many houses he has?

JK2000

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it with your obsession with other's material wealth? Some rich people are good people--I'm guessing you like JFK for example. Some rich people are cocks. Same goes for poor people.

McCain and his wife are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. He can afford $10,000 shoes, 25 houses, 14 yachts, and a lot more. How he governs is all that matters to me.

You think Obama buys off the rack K-Mart shoes--and even if he does, do you think it's particularly relevant?

I'm just pointing out how rediculous it is that right wingers condemn Obama and Kerry for being elitist and then turn around and supprt a candidate who is just as elitist as they are.

No, but your government is making it so. All these government bailout plans are exactly that. Making me foot the bill.

Is there some relevant point to be made by pointing out that McCain is rich? I'm just trying to get the thread back on target. He's rich. Obama's rich (even by the McCain definition). Who gives a sh--?

Wow, I have no idea how many more times I have to write about this... ahh hell with it. McCain screwed up, had no idea how many houses, campaigns paint each as elitists based on wealth attempting to create disconnect with the voters.

I'm just pointing out how rediculous it is that right wingers condemn Obama and Kerry for being elitist and then turn around and supprt a candidate who is just as elitist as they are.

Not relevant in either case. Most people running for president are rich. Who cares?

Wow, I have no idea how many more times I have to write about this... ahh hell with it. McCain screwed up, had no idea how many houses, campaigns paint each as elitists based on wealth attempting to create disconnect with the voters.

....and you were simple enough to fall for that tactic as you demonstrated by inferring that anyone with more than one house must be elitist.

Still sticking by that huh?

....and you were simple enough to fall for that tactic as you demonstrated by inferring that anyone with more than one house must be elitist.

Still sticking by that huh?

It's a political strategy. Get used to it.

Plus, it's not like he has a house and condo or timeshare someplace. Reportedly his family owns eight.

The Obama campaign, who had strong incentive to get it right in their attack ad, came up with only 7. That tells you it is not an obvious question.

Most of the properties were purchased by his wife, from her considerable fortune, and some are controlled by a family trust. I'm willing to bet McCain knows *exactly* how many he paid for himself.

One condo was bought by Cindy for their daughter for when she finishes college. A second condo was bought in the same building. Another condo was bought in California for use by the kids. Considering that he's probably never even been to some of these properties, let alone was involved in picking them out and purchasing them, it's no surprise that that they don't immediately register.

Tell me this: do you know how many suits you own? Does that include outfits your wife bought for own use? They are still joint property.

Being rich is not at all the same thing as being elitist. I can't believe you don't know that.

WORD OF THE DAY

'Elitist': The Rarefied Term That's a Low Blow

Washington Post

Other than being called a criminal, a philanderer or a terrorist sympathizer, is there an accusation in American politics worse than being branded an "elitist"? The word supposes something fundamentally effete and out of touch, a whiff of brie and latte....

Even you would have to admit that being branded a 'racist' is far more damaging than an 'elitist.' Gee, out of what camp have I been hearing that charge bandied about?

Elitist is damaging. Racist is career-ending. Even 'sexist' is worse than elitist. But facts don't get in the way of the Washington Post spinning things up when it comes to covering the One.

The Obama campaign, who had strong incentive to get it right in their attack ad, came up with only 7. That tells you it is not an obvious question.

Most of the properties were purchased by his wife, from her considerable fortune, and some are controlled by a family trust. I'm willing to bet McCain knows *exactly* how many he paid for himself.

One condo was bought by Cindy for their daughter for when she finishes college. A second condo was bought in the same building. Another condo was bought in California for use by the kids. Considering that he's probably never even been to some of these properties, let alone was involved in picking them out and purchasing them, it's no surprise that that they don't immediately register.

Tell me this: do you know how many suits you own? Does that include outfits your wife bought for own use? They are still joint property.

Did his wife ever release her tax statements?

Let me give you a scenario. Person buys a rental property in the 60’s or 70’s and pays $50k for it. It’s now worth $850k and wants to get rid of it but they realize that they’ve got a $850k long term gain plus recapture of depreciation. Crap, what should they do? Well he contacts his financial people and they recommend he does a 1031 exchange to defer the gains. Great idea he thinks. They ask what type of properties they should identify for the exchange. “I don’t care, do a good mix of condos, townhomes and SFRs.” Great deal is done, defers the gains his attorney, who has power over his affairs, signs all the paperwork seeing he’s just a bit busy running for President. Story ends with him owning a bunch of properties that are earning him more income than his single property was. How many..."hell, I don't know." Great move.

Why is it that rich people are considered out of touch?

Ahhh, if anything it should be same for both wives. Michelle Obama's were released.

'it' isn't a requirement. People release them or they don't, depending on how much the media clamors for them, which in turn depends (ideally, but not always in fact) on how much relevance they think there is.

A case could be made (though I wouldn't make it) that Michelle's are more relevant because (1) she plays a greater role as a policy advisor to her husband than does Cindy McCain, and (2) Michelle and Barack's professional lives are much more intertwined, with her lobbying the government on behalf of the hospital, her hospital having given a contract to his campaign manager, their both having been prominantly connected lawyers with overlapping connections, etc. Cindy and John McCain's professional lives are completely separate, as far as I know.

My first impulse as I started to write this was to say neither are of interest. But I'm now pursuaded by my own devils advocacy.

Well when most people these days are struggling to save their one home. One might think that don't cha think? :w00t:

Define most? I would say that most people would agree that most is 51% and up. I hardly think that 51% of homeowners are struggling to make their mortgage payments . . .

Are some segments of the population that got rooked into houses that they can't really afford struggling?? sure . . . what is that . . .10% of the general population. At best?

Platitudes and generalities . . . mantras of the american left.