ESPN story on Peters

The kicker in all of this is that he'd probably get more money if he just gets his arse into camp.

The biggest problem to me is that he cuts off all contact. Behaving like a spoiled brat in that sense wouldn't exactly inspire me to make him the highest-paid lineman in the league.

Isn't his agent the same guy that's telling Stephen Jackson to hold out the same way?

Yezzir

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wow," I muttered to myself. "Sasquatch is easier to find than Jason Peters."

Maybe, Peters was mistaken for Sasquatch and is stuck in some guys freezer ?

You know, I never thought about it like that...

That would explain the lack of communication.

You are correct. By missing the Aug 8 deadline, Peters loses a year toward free agency, so he is still 3 years a way. I should remind everyone that Peters contract was negotiated by his previous manager, so in order for Parker to cash in, he has to get Peters a new deal. THAT looks like the main reason for this holdout...it's not Peter's interest at stake, it's Parker's!

It really looks like Parker was banking on the Bills to behave like some people on this board: wetting their panties at the thought of playing without Peters. Thankfully the Bills have better people in charge. Peters better realize he's messing with his career now. He can't afford to miss a season in his prime. You ain't elite if you ain't playin'. You don't make the Pro Bowl sitting on your a$$.

PTR

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a BINGO!!

*card checked* that's a good BINGO!!

I don't think anything else needs to be posted, discussed or written about this matter any more. It's all about Parker and not about Peter's. If Parker had Peter's interest in mind, he would have had him in camp by the 8th and a contract would have been forthcoming. Nuff said.

His agent is costing Peters millions for his utter stupidity. I say hold on to Jason for the next 3 years if he doesn't report and don't even consider trading him or ever releasing him. That'll learn him for picking representation that acts like an ass wipe.

You are correct. By missing the Aug 8 deadline, Peters loses a year toward free agency, so he is still 3 years a way. I should remind everyone that Peters contract was negotiated by his previous manager, so in order for Parker to cash in, he has to get Peters a new deal. THAT looks like the main reason for this holdout...it's not Peter's interest at stake, it's Parker's!

It really looks like Parker was banking on the Bills to behave like some people on this board: wetting their panties at the thought of playing without Peters. Thankfully the Bills have better people in charge. Peters better realize he's messing with his career now. He can't afford to miss a season in his prime. You ain't elite if you ain't playin'. You don't make the Pro Bowl sitting on your a$$.

PTR

Plus. someone should point out to Peters that Parker has other clients. Parker goes 12 for 14 with his clients he's a great success. He flops with Jason...no skin off of his nose. We'll get em next year. Meanwhile, Jason appears to be a complete ungrateful fool.

Not quite. The Aug 8 deadline (which ended up being earlier than Aug 8, it was a month before the first game of the season, not the Bills' first game unlike what was reported) was to accrue a year of seniority, which is taken into account for restricted free agency and pensions. It doesn't have anything to do with counting a year on the contract or not - the actual date on that is pretty late into the season. I don't remember the actual date, but I believe its somewhere around Week 12.

No offense to the thread starter, but did this ESPN story contain one bit of information readers of the local Buffalo media (and regular visitors to this board) did not already know? Clark Judge just restated the positions of both sides from ca. July 15. Of course the Bills are saying Peters should honor his contract; what else would the team say until he shows up? Does not prove anything.

No offense to the thread starter, but did this ESPN story contain one bit of information readers of the local Buffalo media (and regular visitors to this board) did not already know? Clark Judge just restated the positions of both sides from ca. July 15. Of course the Bills are saying Peters should honor his contract; what else would the team say until he shows up? Does not prove anything.

Um, Clark Judge didn't write that. This guy did. And I don't recall hearing about Brandon's visit to Sirius Radio anywhere else, although I might have missed it.

Um, Clark Judge didn't write that. This guy did. And I don't recall hearing about Brandon's visit to Sirius Radio anywhere else, although I might have missed it.

Touché Lori... that's what I get for allowing my crabbiness to get in the way of my reading comprehension. :unsure:

Nevertheless, I remember reading Brandon quotes to the same effect much earlier in this whole drama, and feel like these reports are dressing up as news information that is at best re-heated.

Touché Lori... that's what I get for allowing my crabbiness to get in the way of my reading comprehension. :unsure:

Nevertheless, I remember reading Brandon quotes to the same effect much earlier in this whole drama, and feel like these reports are dressing up as news information that is at best re-heated.

Fair enough. I imagine Graham wanted to do his own reporting on the situation, and this was his first visit to the Bills since he took the ESPN job.

So, Jason says he wants a new contract. The Bills say, show up and we'll talk. My question is, what is Jason's real motivation? Or should we say Eugene's? If he REALLY wanted a new contract, he'd show up. Now it just looks like he wants the organization to say "uncle." And to Russ Brandon's credit, they ain't going to do that.

I was even more disappointed to find out Eugene graduated from Purdue University, my alma mater. :unsure:

My mistake, I knew that but for some reason I typed it. My point was just that the top players salaries for each position goes up every year. If we lock Peters up now, we avoid having to match or come close to whatever absurd number it is for top LT's or lineman in the league in the future.

Or in a year or two hold out again for more.

Fair enough. I imagine Graham wanted to do his own reporting on the situation, and this was his first visit to the Bills since he took the ESPN job.

The Judge piece is actually pretty incredible, and I'm surprised more aren't discussing it. For those who haven't read it, Judge says that the Bills are "exploring the possibility" of recovering some of Peter's signing bonus.

The Judge piece is actually pretty incredible, and I'm surprised more aren't discussing it. For those who haven't read it, Judge says that the Bills are "exploring the possibility" of recovering some of Peter's signing bonus.

I'm not surprised, but unless there are two Clark Judge articles that talk about Peters, where does he say that?

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10939217

What he does say, of course, is that the Bills have flat refused to renegotiate his 2008 deal (and he's not the first to report this), which throws out the window all the talk here that all he has to do is show up and he can get a new deal. Yeah, he can get a new deal, just not now and not for more than 3.25 mil this year.

Still, I'm not worried about it. He will be here soon, and will be starting opening day, and the Bills are doing the right thing by not renegotiating now. It's still a little disingenuous of them, IMO, to make it seem like all he has to do is show up and they will renegotiate, when they really won't. Or at least not anywhere near what he wants.

I'm not surprised, but unless there are two Clark Judge articles that talk about Peters, where does he say that?

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10939217

What he does say, of course, is that the Bills have flat refused to renegotiate his 2008 deal (and he's not the first to report this), which throws out the window all the talk here that all he has to do is show up and he can get a new deal. Yeah, he can get a new deal, just not now and not for more than 3.25 mil this year.

Still, I'm not worried about it. He will be here soon, and will be starting opening day, and the Bills are doing the right thing by not renegotiating now. It's still a little disingenuous of them, IMO, to make it seem like all he has to do is show up and they will renegotiate, when they really won't. Or at least not anywhere near what he wants.

There are two, in fact:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10939222

Contrast that to the situation of tackle Jason Peters. He's in the middle of a five-year contract, but he wants to renegotiate, and the club says no can do. So Peters has disappeared, with the Bills last seeing him Jan. 15, and the club not only is fining him; it is exploring the possibility of recovering a portion of his signing bonus.