Run an stop the run

Nothing has changed in 50 years of NFL football, RUN & STOP THE RUN, it remains the key and Buffalo did well in both areas.

The Steelers simply had no answer to STOPPING the run last night.

The Buffalo Bills have the BIGGEST offensive line in the NFL.

Should this unit continue to improve THAT will be the biggest story in Buffalo and around the NFL.

The Buffalo Bills spent a lot of money on that line and they are about to reap the rewards.

New England, Miami, and the Jets will need to find an answer or the Bills will wear them down.

Robert Royal, Lee Evans and James Hardy are witnessing the results when a defense must commit more players to stopping the run!

When Jason Peters returns ( and he will shortly ) this will be one of the best Offensive lines in football.

Your comments are always welcome here!

I agree and running for an average 5 yards a carry is something we should see Marshawn do more of this year. I think the running game will make a come back with the rule changes.

I loved the fact that Turk put in some playaction and the shotgun draw. I would love to see a tee formation with Barnes, Lynch, and Jackson to run some misdirections, some sweeps or an option pass. I am convinced with the rules the way the stand now combined with the small size of many Ds, and swarm with speed philisophy of the Tampa style Ds, bowl them over or misdirect is the way to go. Wouldn't mind seeing a few I formation sweeps either (when our star decieds he should be back with his boys). If we are bringing back the FB position we outta use it the way it was meant to be used, esply come winter.

From one newbie to another nice post.

I was impressed with our ability to run the ball last night. Even though Pitt appeared to be playing a pretty vanilla defense...the fact that we ran well against a 3-4 is a good thing. If we can carry that kind of success into the season we're gonna have some fun!

Now, let's get Peters in camp and see what the first teamers can do.

Nothing has changed in 50 years of NFL football, RUN & STOP THE RUN, it remains the key and Buffalo did well in both areas.

The Steelers simply had no answer to STOPPING the run last night.

The Buffalo Bills have the BIGGEST offensive line in the NFL.

Should this unit continue to improve THAT will be the biggest story in Buffalo and around the NFL.

The Buffalo Bills spent a lot of money on that line and they are about to reap the rewards.

New England, Miami, and the Jets will need to find an answer or the Bills will wear them down.

Robert Royal, Lee Evans and James Hardy are witnessing the results when a defense must commit more players to stopping the run!

When Jason Peters returns ( and he will shortly ) this will be one of the best Offensive lines in football.

Nothing excites the offensive line player more then running the football!

Your comments are always welcome here!

Buffalo also had the largest OL in the NFL last season, and had serious issues running the football. That may relate more to the OL coach, McNally, but it's hard to equate size to success. Denver's OL's are routinely one of the smaller ones in football yet have success year in and year out running the football.

Last season Buffalo's OL started every game until Peters' injury kept him from playing in week 17.

For the run game to improve, the passing game will need to be such that teams can't throw 8+ in the box.

I would also argue that teams who have accurate QB's as NE does with Brady can throw it more, given their receivers. Running the ball is important, but the Pats* proved that an efficient passing game can reduce the need to run the ball.

All in all, teams that can mix an effective passing game with a good ground attack will keep defenses on their toes. Buffalo did that last night with Pittsburgh's first team defense.

I was impressed with our ability to run the ball last night. Even though Pitt appeared to be playing a pretty vanilla defense...the fact that we ran well against a 3-4 is a good thing. If we can carry that kind of success into the season we're gonna have some fun!

I'm not sure that I define vanilla the same way. Only because I don't think you are playing vanilla D when you line up with only 1 down lineman. At that point you're trying to create confusion. Pitt did that several times with their starters against Edwards.

What impressed me is Buffalo found the weakness and stayed with the run.

That hasn't always been the case.

I'm starting to think pittsburgh just sucks and we really should not be too proud of ourselves.

I remember a few years ago when the thought of playing against big Ben was too much for some fans to handle.

They are a good team, not great, but its a WIN, Even if its Preseason.

I will tell you this.....I will take Losman over Leftwich