Turk's Offense scheme........

What did you all think? I kinda liked the play calling. That was the first time in a very long time the Bills didnt run much on first downs. Overall I thought guys were wide open and honestly as a Bills fan last year we could all figure what play was coming, last night I didnt have a clue what was coming. Marshawn split wide catching some slants was nice to see.

Last nights game plan for the offense was something we never seen from Fairchild.

Thoughts?

We'll see during the season. I don't think much gameplanning goes on for preseason as much as they want to look at different things.

We'll see?? What do you need to see, just look at the tape of the game; things have changed. They won't revert into a shell come week one.

We'll see?? What do you need to see, just look at the tape of the game; things have changed. They won't revert into a shell come week one.

I don't mean to be negative. I just mean that we'll have to see once the regular season starts and there is game planning. How is Turk going to adjust to what the D is throwing at them, etc.

I liked the plays, but obviously, execution is the key regardless of the play call.

Tasker mentioned it, that Edwards' arm strength was on display on the 15-yard out patterns and the 20-yard curl routes. He had a lot of zip on the ball, they were on a line, and they were accurate.

Trent would certainly lag behind Losman in a pure "arm strength" contest, or throwing the 65-yard bomb. But he showed he had plenty of jump in his arm on those crucial middle-long throws.

I agree. Even though it's pre-season you can see the offense has changed, it definitely is not as predictable. Yes, it's not the regular season, but there is a big difference in philosophy...

I liked the plays, but obviously, execution is the key regardless of the play call.

Tasker mentioned it, that Edwards' arm strength was on display on the 15-yard out patterns and the 20-yard curl routes. He had a lot of zip on the ball, they were on a line, and they were accurate.

Trent would certainly lag behind Losman in a pure "arm strength" contest, or throwing the 65-yard bomb. But he showed he had plenty of jump in his arm on those crucial middle-long throws.

Those are two wholly different things though. Edwards clearly can throw darts on 15-20 yard passes. I don't think anyone questions that. He has yet to show at any time that he can (semi) consistently throw 40-50-60 yard passes, accurately, with good trajectory. He simply hasn't. If he does, he will be a terrific QB. We have no idea whether he can or not as of yet. And again, if he can, he could be a stud in this league.

Hey, I liked our offensive success as much as anyone, but lets remember- this isn't Bill Cowher's Steelers. They are an offense-first team now and their defense, while OK, isn't all that intimidating anymore

Those are two wholly different things though. Edwards clearly can throw darts on 15-20 yard passes. I don't think anyone questions that. He has yet to show at any time that he can (semi) consistently throw 40-50-60 yard passes, accurately, with good trajectory. He simply hasn't. If he does, he will be a terrific QB. We have no idea whether he can or not as of yet. And again, if he can, he could be a stud in this league.

Agreed...But Pennington could throw the 15-20 yard pass accurately, but he didn't have an arm. Losman throws a beautiful deep ball, but struggled with accuracy and timing of the in-between throws. I prefer Edwards' starting point over those two, certainly...If he can develop some stretch-the-field ability, he will be in good shape, you're right. Even if successful downfield plays don't always result, just attempting them sometimes works wonders for an offense.

No good QB throws 40+ yard passes. That's a myth. Peyton Manning attempted 2 passes of 40+ yards last season. (In comparison, in 2006, Losman had 10 attempts of this length. In 2006 (pre-Moss), Brady had 18; in 2007, Brady had 28.) Manning attempted 22 30+ yard passes (maybe 1 or 2 a game). Edwards can throw a 30 yard pass just fine, and will probably average an attempt a game. His arm is good. If he has problems, it's not because he's a Chad Pennington. It will be for some other reason.

We need to see:

1. How will the lack of an imposing threat at TE impact the short passing game?

The two TD catches by Royal last night were fascinating in that one possible (but incredibly unlikely since Royal will need to develop production as a receiver he never has shown in his entire NFL career) answer is that perhaps Royal can be a receiving threat at TE.

I unfortunately doubt this will suddenly occur and the injury to Schouman raises additional questions at a position so lacking in even adequate past production and depth that a better bet would seem to be playing a base O which minimizes use of the TE than suddenly seeing one of these guys emerge as a threat.

2. Will we use the RB as an effective receiving threat?

Seeing Matrshawn split wide was a good sign, but in order for this O to be imposing, we not only need to achieve great progress in using the RB simply somewhat adequately as a receiver, but we really need to realize some of the good collegiate work as a receiver Lynch and also Wright showed. Wright seems like a non useful player with two fumbles in the first two games and Oman proving to be an interesting bowling ball to develop, but this O needs to show a lot more productive use of the RB as a receiver and likely will not do this in a non-gameplanned pre-season.

3. What will be our solid answer at LT?

Chambers erratic performances, a few miscues by Walker at LT reflected in penalties, and the injuries to the tackle depth we had simply means show Peters the money. The first two games show that the best we can do without Peters as we shuffle players out of position in search of a back-up LT is make do but it is a dangerous game not to put our best foot forward so show Peters the money. As a UDFA who rapidly ascended to getting voted to the Pro Bowl this is a worthwhile investment on the face of it and a necessary investment due to lack of depth on the OL. (note the positive rushing yardage we saw at the start of and late into the game was a very positive sign- the question of whether we can do that when we face a Polamalu is still an open question and you can only take on the players they send out against you, but the sacks suffered by JP when he held the ball too long though not an extraordinary amount of time and the need we had to rely on Edwards ability to release quickly was troubling).

4. Who will be the #5 and #6 WRs in the spread offense likely to be our best O?

It was great that Royal stepped up yesterday and Huggins and Jenkins remain possibilities but no one has emerged yet to put their stamp on what are likely to be much used and needed contributions if we run the spread and we have the usual players such as likely #4 WR Reed missing due to injuries.

5. Will Edwards make this O his own?

Last night was a very good sign after he had a pretty lackluster opener. I felt very good about his pace of operation last night after my buddy Cheesehead and I went to St. John's Fisher for Tuesday practice and Edwards looked markedly slower than Losman in getting the ball out (fortunately practice accomplishments had little to do with pre-season game accomplishments in this regard. Still what Edwards will need to show cannot be done in a pre-season game as the question he needs to answer is can he be productive and healthy at QB for a full season.

We'll see.

Agreed...But Pennington could throw the 15-20 yard pass accurately, but he didn't have an arm. Losman throws a beautiful deep ball, but struggled with accuracy and timing of the in-between throws. I prefer Edwards' starting point over those two, certainly...If he can develop some stretch-the-field ability, he will be in good shape, you're right. Even if successful downfield plays don't always result, just attempting them sometimes works wonders for an offense.

Absolutely. I don't question Trent's arm strength. He surely has enough to succeed. It's in the middle of the pack right now but again, enough. It is not weak, like Pennington's, even before his shoulder injury. My problem with TE's deep passes last year were more on his trajectory, and in turn, accuracy. He often put too much loft on it and they either fell short or the CBs and safeties had too much time to make up ground and get in position to make a play.

Trent's pretty good already on the mid-range deep throws down the middle where he doesn't put much arc on it. Like the one from the practice film last week. And he did it in the Redskins game last year IIRC.

What he needs to do is just be a threat on the real deep balls, to keep the safeties honest and not bunched up near the LOS. If he can do that, watch out.

No good QB throws 40+ yard passes. That's a myth. Peyton Manning attempted 2 passes of 40+ yards last season. (In comparison, in 2006, Losman had 10 attempts of this length. In 2006 (pre-Moss), Brady had 18; in 2007, Brady had 28.) Manning attempted 22 30+ yard passes (maybe 1 or 2 a game). Edwards can throw a 30 yard pass just fine, and will probably average an attempt a game. His arm is good. If he has problems, it's not because he's a Chad Pennington. It will be for some other reason.

40 is just an easy round number. 33, 35, 37, 39 is the same thing. It's a deep pass. It's not a line drive. The problem is when you are no threat to even attempt one let alone complete one. Then teams can take away so many things from you. That's what they did last year to us after seeing him for 1-2 games. It almost hurts the run game more than the passing game. He hasn't thrown good deep passes. I don't care the length. A deep ball is a deep ball and you know it when you see it. Just being able to throw it and be a threat to throw it opens up all kinds of options. Not showing any ability or want to do it, like we have shown so far, shuts down a lot of options. Over throwing a 50 yard incompletion can be a great thing because it makes the DBs know you can and will do it.