Why is this player not on the Bills??

Arguably the single biggest mistake of the tom donahoe tenure.

The BIGGER mistake was following that up by passing on Tommie Harris and Vince Wilfork to take a speedy WR named Lee Evans.

Both players were ripe for the taking, came from major programs and dominated at the collegiate level. Had Donahoe picked one of those players, we probably wouldn't be regretting that move so much.

He was too fat.

Oh, and signing your own guys doesn't make the media flash bulbs pop as loudly.

Donahoe was a tool.

Don't forget most of the membership here also ran Ruben Brown out of town. A couple of years later he was the starting LG on the Bears SB team. <_<

He was too fat.

Oh, and signing your own guys doesn't make the media flash bulbs pop as loudly.

Donahoe was a tool.

Mort's vibrator.

This thread has gotten me so mad, I just punched a hole in my dining room wall!!!!

Are your neighbors pissed?

Pat Williams is a great player and sorely missed to say the least. But as usual, when he talks bad things come out. He wrote more than his share of bad checks with his loud mouth leading up to games where the defense laid down. Actually, I believe Donahoe let him walk in part because he felt Williams epitomized the lack of heart the team showed at critical times during the Gregg Williams era. It's easy to forget as time passes, but the running theme with that team was no mental toughness. If past history is any indicator, put your money on the Packers in that game.

Pat Williams is a great player and sorely missed to say the least. But as usual, when he talks bad things come out. He wrote more than his share of bad checks with his loud mouth leading up to games where the defense laid down. Actually, I believe Donahoe let him walk in part because he felt Williams epitomized the lack of heart the team showed at critical times during the Gregg Williams era. It's easy to forget as time passes, but the running theme with that team was no mental toughness. If past history is any indicator, put your money on the Packers in that game.

Disagree, and if Donohoe really thought that, it suggests he wasn't paying attention. In the Bills' ultimate lack-of-heart game in the past decade - against the Steelers in the final game of the 04 season - he was one of the only guys on D to show up (along with Nate C), racking up twelve tackles while stuffing Brian St. Pierre and co. and giving the Bills' O chance after chance to do something in the second half. Which of course they did not do. Williams, however, was terrific in that game. Which lack-of-mental-toughness games are you referring to?

I strongly disagree with that statment, who do you think brought all those heartless, soft players to Buffalo in the first place? Big Pat was a beast in the middle, its too bad nobody else on that team had as much confidence as he did going into games. And dave mcbride is right, In what would turn out to be Pat Williams last game as a Buffalo Bill he played like a monster and was the only guy who played like he was playing for a playoff spot that day

I remember he said that he very much wanted to stay because he had kids in school and liked the area, and that he was upset that they didnt keep him. When asked what the motivation might have been behind his trade he said "they were stupid"

Why did we get rid of williams, and why did we put a defense on the field that was undersized by 20 lbs at every position? Why did the giants run on us 13 times in a row in the fourth quarter? Why did we put our base 4-3 out there when the giants were inside the five yard line on first down and brought in three extra linemen? Pat Williams provides our answer.

its amazing how bad TD was and how many people on this and other boards defended him...he was declared a salary cap genius for getting the bills out of so called cap jail, why?? because he cut a bunch of guys, does it really take a genius to do that?...he also signed and gave way too much money to guys past their prime like Troy Vincent, Lawyer Milloy and the Guard whose name I dare not mention

TD was a clown that cared more about being in the spotlight then building a quality football team

its amazing how bad TD was and how many people on this and other boards defended him...he was declared a salary cap genius for getting the bills out of so called cap jail, why?? because he cut a bunch of guys, does it really take a genius to do that?...he also signed and gave way too much money to guys past their prime like Troy Vincent, Lawyer Milloy and the Guard whose name I dare not mention

TD was a clown that cared more about being in the spotlight then building a quality football team

The real reason TD let him walk was because he didn't feel there would be a dropoff or a significant dropoff from Williams to Ron Edwards...that thinking right there sums up TD's skills as a talent evaluator.

Disagree, and if Donohoe really thought that, it suggests he wasn't paying attention. In the Bills' ultimate lack-of-heart game in the past decade - against the Steelers in the final game of the 04 season - he was one of the only guys on D to show up (along with Nate C), racking up twelve tackles while stuffing Brian St. Pierre and co. and giving the Bills' O chance after chance to do something in the second half. Which of course they did not do. Williams, however, was terrific in that game. Which lack-of-mental-toughness games are you referring to?

I'm not saying Williams lacked heart. I'm saying Donahoe was frustrated by the lack of mental toughness on that team. He said so often. You say Williams had a great game because he had a lot of tackles, but the Steelers running game trampled Buffalo that day and Williams was conspicuous for his tendency to talk smack just prior to the team getting it's asswhipped. Bledsoe was terrible that day too, but he had lead them on a furious rush to the playoffs at the end of the season. I think frustration lead to the baby getting thrown out with the bathwater. Letting Williams go was a crushing blow, and Bledsoe was probably cut loose a year too soon. The net result was another GM and coaching change which set the team back at least a couple more years.

The real reason TD let him walk was because he didn't feel there would be a dropoff or a significant dropoff from Williams to Ron Edwards...that thinking right there sums up TD's skills as a talent evaluator.

I agree, and a willingness to accept a certain amount of dropoff is a mistake. That's "on paper" football.

I'm not saying Williams lacked heart. I'm saying Donahoe was frustrated by the lack of mental toughness on that team. He said so often. You say Williams had a great game because he had a lot of tackles, but the Steelers running game trampled Buffalo that day and Williams was conspicuous for his tendency to talk smack just prior to the team getting it's asswhipped. Bledsoe was terrible that day too, but he had lead them on a furious rush to the playoffs at the end of the season. I think frustration lead to the baby getting thrown out with the bathwater. Letting Williams go was a crushing blow, and Bledsoe was probably cut loose a year too soon. The net result was another GM and coaching change which set the team back at least a couple more years.

I agree with some of what you say, but re: the Steelers game, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Take away that one 58 yard run by Parker at the end of the third - a play that was NOT Williams' fault in any way (Spikes was the most blameworthy) - and the Steelers ran 42 times for 99 yards (2.36 yds per carry).

As for PW shooting off his mouth, have you ever listened to stud DTs talk? They seem to be all like that. Most are knuckle draggers, from Ted Washington assaulting a gay trainer when he was with the Niners to Warren Sapp to Leon Lett to Vince Wilfork. The list goes on. Watch John Henderson's little warmup session on youtube from last year for an example of what I'm talking about. As for Pat, I would most wholeheartedly agree that he's no Rhodes scholar, but that's not why he's in the NFL.

I agree with some of what you say, but re: the Steelers game, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Take away that one 58 yard run by Parker at the end of the third - a play that was NOT Williams' fault in any way (Spikes was the most blameworthy) - and the Steelers ran 42 times for 99 yards (2.36 yds per carry).

As for PW shooting off his mouth, have you ever listened to stud DTs talk? They seem to be all like that. Most are knuckle draggers, from Ted Washington assaulting a gay trainer when he was with the Niners to Warren Sapp to Leon Lett to Vince Wilfork. The list goes on. Watch John Henderson's little warmup session on youtube from last year for an example of what I'm talking about. As for Pat, I would most wholeheartedly agree that he's no Rhodes scholar, but that's not why he's in the NFL.

My bad. I thought the Steelers came in with nothing to gain, played reserves for about 3/4 of the game, had their 4th string rb run for 100 yards and rolled up 43 for 157 overall in Buffalo in a must win game for the Bills. For a few years there, I thought the defense came up small when it mattered most.

My bad. I thought the Steelers came in with nothing to gain, played reserves for about 3/4 of the game, had their 4th string rb run for 100 yards and rolled up 43 for 157 overall in Buffalo in a must win game for the Bills. For a few years there, I thought the defense came up small when it mattered most.

I think the point is that the offense was a disaster, and that Bledsoe generally sucked (and should have had two INTs at the end of the first half, but they were dropped). As you'll recall, McGahee didn't have a great game either, although judging from his sideline demeanor late in the game, he was OK with it. As for Pat Williams, when a DT makes 12 tackles, that generally means that the running back is running for less than three yards on those plays (and the Steelers had a helluva a lot of those plays). In other words, if you're going to cast blame, it's probably wise to look elsewhere than Pat. And I'm talking specifically about Pat -- I'm not extrapolating the rest of the team's performance from his own (which is my point, after all). And recall that the Bills gave up 262 yards on defense.

I agree that it is no stretch to believe that Donahoe was undoubtedly frustrated by that loss to Pittsburgh. Heck, he might have gone home and thrown a major hissy fit on his living room floor. He had also just hired a head coach that was totally out of his depth -- who had literally asked other former head coaches how he should perform his job that year -- and was therefore able to "revamp" the roster and find scapegoats with no real back pressure on his decision making process. A 9-7 record after a woobly start and Donahoe throws away his starting QB and best interior DL.

Pat Williams may not be a genius, but when he said "Because, they are stupid," he was dead on.