One Game Playoff-Red Sox vs Yankees

T-Bone

Then you accept getting thrown out of the game if you feel the pitcher did it on purpose.

I do think he was trying to dislodge the ball... He never went where the tag was applied... not the ball.

You do what you can.

I don't care who did... Personally I am not an A-Rod fan.  You get away with what you can... He didn't.

77903[/snapback]

Well, that's the problem. Today's sports are full of guys who try to "get away with what they can" rather than win fairly. Please tell me that A-Rod, for all his talent, can't win fair.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Please count for me how many tag plays where you have seen a guy swat the ball.  And you can't "swat" it at home either.  You can run into the guy if he is obstructing the basepath to knock the ball loose but you can't grab the ball out and throw it.  You have been watching too much football.  And A-Rod was bitching about it afterwards when he knew it was wrong.  That's classless.

77864[/snapback]

I have watched hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of baseball games. I have seen guys try to slide into first base to avoid a tag and make it. I've seen guys run out of the baseline to avoid a tag and get called out. I've seen guys hookslide into second to avoid a tag and make it. I've seen guys plow over the catcher and knock the ball loose, or not. But this is the first time I have EVER seen a player slap at a player's glove to knock the ball out of his hand. Probably because it's illegal and every player knows it.

I don't necessarily fault A-Rod for doing it. He was going to be out and he didn't want to be out. But it wasn't like there was no penalty for doing what he did. He cost his team ninety feet (Jeter had to go back to first). If he gets tagged out or called out for running out of the baseline, the Yankees still have a guy in scoring position.

Also, I agree, A-Rod was classless for whining as long he did, although I see the point of people who argue that he was just trying to get on base any way he could. After all, I'm still waiting for Frank Pulli to call Reggie Jackson out for interference in the 1978 World Series. Reggie and the Yankees got away with that one, and it was a turning point in the game. (I'm also waiting for the NHL to take away Brett Hull's goal, incidentally.) It was perfectly reasonable for A-Rod to think he too could break the rules and not get caught. But he did get caught, and he should have just walked off the field because he knew he was wrong.

Also, I agree, A-Rod was classless for whining as long he did, although I see the point of people who argue that he was just trying to get on base any way he could.  After all, I'm still waiting for Frank Pulli to call Reggie Jackson out for interference in the 1978 World Series.  Reggie and the Yankees got away with that one, and it was a turning point in the game.  (I'm also waiting for the NHL to take away Brett Hull's goal, incidentally.)  It was perfectly reasonable for A-Rod to think he too could break the rules and not get caught.  But he did get caught, and he should have just walked off the field because he knew he was wrong.

78088[/snapback]

Bingo. Thank you. I've watched thousands of games and this is not a routine occurrence. Any player who's been in there as long as A-Rod knows he's out, and knows better.

Bingo.  Thank you.  I've watched thousands of games and this is not a routine occurrence.  Any player who's been in there as long as A-Rod knows he's out, and knows better.

78093[/snapback]

Not to beat a dead horse, but he wasn't arguing over a ball/strike call, or a fair/foul call, or an out/safe call, or whether the ball hit above the home run line. All of those are matters about which reasonable observers can differ. (For example, Jeremy Giambi? He was safe. ;) And so was David Ortiz, at second the other night.) He was arguing about being called out for doing something he plainly and clearly knew was illegal. That's, as RTDB says, classless.