Training Camp report 7/28/08

I went to the training camp session this morning from 11-1 and noticed a couple of things. First off, it was pretty clear that Losman outplayed Edwards as he was able to complete two passes, both to Lee Evans that were about 25 yarders. Also, I noticed that the hitting began to intensify and whenever you were vulnerable you would get hit. The player that impressed me the most was wideout Steve Johnson, as early on in the practice he was able to wreel in a pass from Trent Edwards that had originally been tipped up in the air by Bryan Scott , but as it came down he out jumped Kennard and recieved a nice applause from the crowd. Also impressing was tight end Derrick Schouman.

I went to the training camp session this morning from 11-1 and noticed a couple of things. First off, it was pretty clear that Losman outplayed Edwards as he was able to complete two passes, both to Lee Evans that were about 25 yarders. Also, I noticed that the hitting began to intensify and whenever you were vulnerable you would get hit. The player that impressed me the most was wideout Steve Johnson, as early on in the practice he was able to wreel in a pass from Trent Edwards that had originally been tipped up in the air by Bryan Scott , but as it came down he out jumped Kennard and recieved a nice applause from the crowd. Also impressing was tight end Derrick Schouman.

Thanks for the report! Always great to get information from multiple sources. I do get the feeling that these training camp reports are going to spark very heated JP VS Edwards debates but I guess that keeps things interesting while we waiting for the season to start. For the record, I backed JP 100% while he was the starter and now I will be backing Edwards 100% while he is the starter. I beleive they both can be great qb's in the right system and I wish them both nothing but success.

Thanx for the report.

I hope your judgment that JP outplayed TE in this session is based on more than these 2 passes. Also, nice to see a nobody like Johnson to put in extra effort. Interesting that Schouman is being used as a TE rather than FB.

There seems to be alot of good things being said about Schoumann. It seems by my reading he is developing a good rapport with Trent Edwards. I hope he is more of an offensive threat than Robert Royal.

Given that we expected sour grapes from a JPL who "Demanded to be traded"... Instead he's showed up to camp and sounds like a team player who's performing well in the new system... I'm glad. I don't think there's a QB controversy... If TE plays extremely poor in the preseason and JP lights it up... I don't think it'll change the mind of DJ & TS... but, it will haunt TE if he also starts games poorly even 1-2 games into the season (when people started bitching last season). I hope this doesn't happen. I want TE to succeed, I just have this nagging feeling he won't. This is completely unlike what I felt during the RJ vs DF era... I hated DF... I didn't want him to fail, but I just flatout hated his attitude and sense of entitlement... I don't know why that was... it just was...

I'm even more happy to hear we have Shouman (sp?) lighting it up. We need a passcatching tight end. it's been lacking for far too long.

Thanx for the report.

I hope your judgment that JP outplayed TE in this session is based on more than these 2 passes. Also, nice to see a nobody like Johnson to put in extra effort. Interesting that Schouman is being used as a TE rather than FB.

No it isn't, It was just that Losman seemed to have more rythm and did finish the day with a better completion percentage than Trent. I am actually a Trent Edwards fan but my dad isn't because he says that Trent is a woss for wearing gloves last year during a game. Also, during one 11 on 11 series Losman went 4-7 and Edwards went 5-7, so Edawards wasn't outmatched by J.P. that much.

I actually think Trent Edwards is in a very good situation....a much better situation that we have put our QB's in since we let Bledsoe have both Moulds and Peerless Price.

- First.....I feel really good about our O Line this year. I think Peters will be back and OL will pick up where it left off......pretty darn good pass protection.

- Lee Evans is in place. I think Hardy is going to make a huge difference......he will be a chain mover and a guy who you can through lobs to in the back of the end zone.

- Marshown in his second year.....already proved he can play......Jackson has impressed as well.

- I really like Shoeman.....I think he is the pass catching tight end we have been missing.

The chips around Trent Edwards are in place.....he will have a comfort zone and not have to do too much to try to win. We will have our defense back in place to get him the ball back.

I see good things for this team.....and while I dont think Trent Edwards will make the pro bowl this year......I think we will be glad he is behind center.

Also I forgot to mention that Mckelvin was like 10 feet from me because I was leaning up against the fence right behind the endzone. He looked like a very good coverage corner today, as he was covering James Hardy and had some success, I just thought that this was an interesting match up, Round 1 pick vs. Round 2 pick.

Also I forgot to mention that Mckelvin was like 10 feet from me because I was leaning up against the fence right behind the endzone. He looked like a very good coverage corner today, as he was covering James Hardy and had some success, I just thought that this was an interesting match up, Round 1 pick vs. Round 2 pick.

Cool. :P

At the risk of stirring up the QB controversy....

I won't be at all surprised if JP looks better in these types of drills and practices throughout training camp. He obviously has more experience, and he's probably got more physical talent than Edwards. But... it's when the bullets are flying for real that Edwards will put JP back on the sidelines, assuming he shows that he has better instincts and talent for the mental part of the game.

Playing catch in training camp is not the same as being a field general and managing the game.

At the risk of stirring up the QB controversy....

I won't be at all surprised if JP looks better in these types of drills and practices throughout training camp. He obviously has more experience, and he's probably got more physical talent than Edwards. But... it's when the bullets are flying for real that Edwards will put JP back on the sidelines, assuming he shows that he has better instincts and talent for the mental part of the game.

Playing catch in training camp is not the same as being a field general and managing the game.

Very true. There were a couple seasons where I and I'm sure many others were fooled into believing RJ was going to be a pro bowler based on his stellar camp performances.