Now that McKelvin is under contract......

I know its early to make a prediction, but how should the Bills handle the kick return situation? Obviously, its a good problem to have, and there might not be a wrong answer, but I think the Bills should put both of them back deep on returns.

Given opposing teams tendency to kick away from McGee, this lineup would make that strategy a little more difficult to accomplish. Teams would, in effect, be forced to "pick their poison". This could work on punt returns with Parrish and McKelvin as well.

On the flip side, could it be time to take McGee off the return unit as a matter of injury prevention?

I say let them split the duty in preseason (with McKelvin getting some extra reps later in games). If he is all he's cracked up to be, put both of them in on KO's in the regular season. If he struggles (fumbles, low return avg., ect.) just leave McGee there, and let him do what he does best.

McKelvin's kick return ability cannot be ignored. His NCAA record of 8 TD returns is proof that he is a weapon.

However, I personally would rather him focus on just his CB duties and that's all. The rookie learning curve is steep and CB is a tough position to play. His attention, energy and effort should not be divided.

McGee and Parrish are established threats in the return games. I do think that rotating McKelvin in with those guys is a good idea. It will serve to prevent fatigue and give McGee and Parrish rest so they can be fresher for their respective sides of the ball. It also may prevent injury/wear down.

This is a good problem to have.

I know its early to make a prediction, but how should the Bills handle the kick return situation? Obviously, its a good problem to have, and there might not be a wrong answer, but I think the Bills should put both of them back deep on returns.

Given opposing teams tendency to kick away from McGee, this lineup would make that strategy a little more difficult to accomplish. Teams would, in effect, be forced to "pick their poison". This could work on punt returns with Parrish and McKelvin as well.

On the flip side, could it be time to take McGee off the return unit as a matter of injury prevention?

Geez, Cantankerous! dont be so.................cantankerous! ;)

Don't they usually have 2 guys stay back for Kick Returns?

Why not have them both back there? Make the teams pick their poison, kick it to one of the better return guys in the NFL, or one of the better college return guys. Why do they have to chose only one?

Which one of them is going to block?

Yeah, they're both dynamic threats (allegedly, in the case of McKelvin), but whoever doesn't get the ball is going to be useless. I personally wouldn't want my #1 and #2 corners out there lead blocking on a kickoff return anyway, even if both of those guys were bigger.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we have some tangible proof of McKelvin's return ability, I thought I would bring this thread back to revisit the question of how the Bills should handle the kick return situation.

I think he should be used in any way that's the most immediate benefit to the bills team. What's more immediate then the ability to produce yards potential points in the return game? I'd have him split with Mcgee, but if he proves to be a more dynamic Kick returner, you give him the job. He's a rookie, with plenty of time to learn corner.

Absofreakinlutely! I believe he was drafted to partake alot of return duties. And not as a DB starting off the get go.

We don't need another Jason Sehorn incident here.

As good as T. Mcgee is.......and he IS really really good at returning kicks, I think Mclovin might be that more dangerous. This guy tied D. Hester's NCAA carreer record for most return TDs (kickoffs & punts). Not to mention that TD in yesterday's game had to be a big confidence booster for the rook, I say let McGee play corner and let Leodis take charge of the kickoff duties. I like the idea of having them both back there as well.

As good as T. Mcgee is.......and he IS really really good at returning kicks, I think Mclovin might be that more dangerous. This guy tied D. Hester's NCAA carreer record for most return TDs (kickoffs & punts). Not to mention that TD in yesterday's game had to be a big confidence booster for the rook, I say let McGee play corner and let Leodis take charge of the kickoff duties. I like the idea of having them both back there as well.

I can guarantee neither would get chances to touch the ball as every kick would either be kicked directly out of bounds or through the endzone just so neither have a chance to touch the ball. I think the Bills can say they have the best return group in the league right now.

The rook almost has a punt returned for a TD if he didn't make the mistake of running back towards the kicker last week, then this week he learned from that mistake and took it all the way

I can guarantee neither would get chances to touch the ball as every kick would either be kicked directly out of bounds or through the endzone just so neither have a chance to touch the ball. I think the Bills can say they have the best return group in the league right now.

The rook almost has a punt returned for a TD if he didn't make the mistake of running back towards the kicker last week, then this week he learned from that mistake and took it all the way

I'm trying.. I'm really trying not to get giddy about this...

But, I think YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR!

a kick out of bounds ends up at the 40 and a kick through the end zone isn't exactly easy without a nice breeze.......i think they'll both get plenty of chances

loved that move he made on the kicker this week.....he learned from his mistake last week

i'm very confused why people think we have to choose between mckelvin and mcgee, when i thought it was common knowledge that you have two returners back on a kickoff. I also thought it was obvious that you cant kick the ball out of bounds on a kickoff since the ball would be set at the 40. Can someone explain to me why this is even a question?

I agree McKelvin should take at least half the KO returns this year. McGee is still really dangerous though so I'd hate to put him on the shelf.

Regarding punts, is that job still reserved for Roscoe? just curious. If McKelvin is such a butterfingers in the secondary I can't imagine he will be able to cleanly handle punts in the typical swirling cold winds of the Ralph.

I agree McKelvin should take at least half the KO returns this year. McGee is still really dangerous though so I'd hate to put him on the shelf.

Regarding punts, is that job still reserved for Roscoe? just curious. If McKelvin is such a butterfingers in the secondary I can't imagine he will be able to cleanly handle punts in the typical swirling cold winds of the Ralph.

It should be, Roscoe is the second most dangerous PR in the NFL and wasn't he flirting with a 20 yard avg. last year. Thats sick.