Hester agrees to extension

JoeF

Devin Hester held out two days. Was told by the Bears to come to camp or no negotiation. He shows up and 3 days later he has a deal for a four year extension. He was scheduled to make about $450K in base this year so he was woefully underpaid.

The Bills situation is a bit more complicated. The Bears took care of Urlacher, Harris, etc. before Hester. I think the Bills have to get something done with Lee Evans before moving addressing Peters. I would still not engage Peters or the agent on extension specifics until he reports, just commit to increased dialog once he shows.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4912

Say what you want about the guy being a glorified KR, but he IS truly a game-breaker in every sense of the word. The guy has 12 TD's in 2 years by way of returns. He can give the Bears great field position, momentum, points on the board, or deflate another team after they've done something positive in a previous drive. If he learns how to be a halfway decent 3rd or 4th WR, he could be that much more valuable just for the fact of the attention he will draw when on the field. I'd say the guy is worth whatever their front office spent on the guy. I SERIOUSLY doubt that it was $30 million though.

$30 million for a glorified kick returner, what a joke.

That's chump change, apparently:

"Hester is expected to receive about $16 million guaranteed. The deal maxes out at $40 million and he will have to hit escalators based on performance and likely play time as a wide receiver."

Mr. Peters, take notice. Mr. Hester got what he wanted, but he had to pay $30,000 in fines first! Mr. Peters, you are now working on $75,000 in fines, unless you van get to Pittsford in the next two minutes.

depending on how the incentives are structured, that could be a very very fair contract.

would you pay a guy 40 mill for ~20 TDs over 3 years, most of them on special teams? that's totally economical.

He's a great punt returner seeing as he's scored 7 TD's on them in the past 2 years and his average is great (even though it's helped by those 7 long returns). But the answer to that is directional punting. Looking at his KO return average though, which is very pedestrian and even moreso when you factor-in that he's had 4 long KO returns for TD's, and the fact that he's largely unproven as a WR, I don't know if he's worth that kind of coin.

I heard that the "glorified kick returner" has put the ball in the end zone more than the rest of the offense combined (according to Jim Miller).

those kind of comments come from guys who say "LETZ DO TEH 3-4 LIKE TEH PATZ" and "TEH FULLBACKZ IZ TEH GOODEST PLAYARZ, TEH 3 YARDZ AND TEH DUSTZ CLOWD!".

like drafting back up linemen when you have no wideouts and a street FA playing corner.

i think you guys are missing the point - if hester isn't performing at the level of a #1 WR the large roster bonus (10M in 2012) goes down, to as low as 2M.......so hester won't earn 30M if he's "just a glorified KR"......he'll only earn 30M if his role increases

i think you guys are missing the point - if hester isn't performing at the level of a #1 WR the large roster bonus (10M in 2012) goes down, to as low as 2M.......so hester won't earn 30M if he's "just a glorified KR"......he'll only earn 30M if his role increases

What are the specs? How many yards/receptions/TD's does he need as a WR?