SAM ADAMS???

Stussy109

The Simoncast interviewed Jeff Morison who was out at OBD today and he gave no indication of Sam Adams being cut. It might be possible as we saw from the Shaw release that part of the MM strategy is to let players know that almost everyone's job is at risk if the team fails to do better.

This is particularly true if there are reasonable alternatives to the player in question (as there clearly was for our #4 WR) and now there may be at DT based on Edwards showing yesterday.

However, i hope it doesn't happen. Bucking your boss in public is rarely helpful or allowed. However, since Adams inappropriate tyrade came in the form of him demanding to play and stay in the game rather than in the form of him failing to take orders by refusing to play or make a big effort, it may be best managed by forgiveness if Adams is willing to apologize to the team and bare his neck to authority.

I think Parcells comments that he has had players go after him physically but it was actually a useful way to clear the air should be the guide for MM in this case.

Read this:

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/292/sports...le_in_Bi:.shtml

Apparently Sam is unhappy with his role of simply staying home and occupying blockers. He wants to rush the passer more. Hopefulyl they did meet today and cleared the air, and allowed Sam to do more things to make him happy, as long as he's also productive.

Read this:

Apparently Sam is unhappy with his role of simply staying home and occupying blockers.  He wants to rush the passer more.  Hopefulyl they did meet today and cleared the air, and allowed Sam to do more things to make him happy, as long as he's also productive.

75249[/snapback]

Interesting. What do you guys think of the validity of SA's statements?

Me personally, I don't know what to think about Jerry Gray's defense. I know they've been affected by Vincent's and Milloy's injuries, but something about them stinks. I mean really stinks. Only 6 turnovers in 5 games, too many 3rd down conversions allowed, too many 4th quarter chokes...

Read this:

Apparently Sam is unhappy with his role of simply staying home and occupying blockers.  He wants to rush the passer more.  Hopefulyl they did meet today and cleared the air, and allowed Sam to do more things to make him happy, as long as he's also productive.

75249[/snapback]

Me personally, I don't know what to think about Jerry Gray's defense. I know they've been affected by Vincent's and Milloy's injuries, but something about them stinks. I mean really stinks. Only 6 turnovers in 5 games, too many 3rd down conversions allowed, too many 4th quarter chokes...

One of the articles I read pretty much summed it up with a statement similar to this: The Bills could have done just as good (7-14) without Sam Adams in there. I tend to agree. Apperently he is a bit of a head case. TD should do better research on players before he signs them.

One of the articles I read pretty much summed it up with a statement similar to this: The Bills could have done just as good (7-14) without Sam Adams in there. I tend to agree. Apperently he is a bit of a head case. TD should do better research on players before he signs them.

75518[/snapback]

Actually most league watchers agree that Sam Adams goes on vacation on a lot of plays but have said that Adams actually took plays off a lot less last season than he has in the past. It probably was an internal change on his part because he realized he was getting older rather than TD or GW getting into his head. but I think TD actually researched this case correctly as he got him just at the right time in his life.

I think the pick-up of this fat tub of goo was critical for the Bills improvement from the swinging door defense of the first two years under GW/Gray to the number 2 statistically ranked D last year under LeBeau/Gray.

The reports are that Adams actually worked out duringthe off-season under Rusty Jones guidance and that he was in far better shape than he has been during his career. if you don't believe that Adams was a pivotal pick-up to the Bills improvement last year, one need look no further than last year's game in the Meadowlands where Adams had to sit out with imjury and Curtis Martin ran all over Edwards and Bannan.

I think the most noticeable thing about the inappropriate Adams tirade this weekend was that his insubordination took the form of him refusing to come out rather than him folowing his old habit of refusing to play and pouting.

TD signed Adams for less than other teams offered for him and he made a good read as best as I can tell.

75414[/snapback]

The 3rd and long defensive schemes need to be re-worked. They are not working worth stevestojan right now.

I think the most noticeable thing about the inappropriate Adams tirade this weekend was that his insubordination took the form of him refusing to come out rather than him folowing his old habit of refusing to play and pouting.

I won't argue with this as it's something that is not all that rare among veteran players. I really wonder when exactly it happened for a couple reasons. 1, I wonder if Adams is sick of so many 3man fronts on 3rddowns, a point on which I would agree with him. 2, there was a play where Morris bounced it outside into space on the right and Adams was in lateral pursuit. While it's a given that The Keg has no chance of beating him to the corner, he must at least maintain his pursuit to minimize the space and options that Morris has for the cutback. Sam gave up on the play waaaaay too early, leaving Morris a whole lot of room and choices of when to turn it upfield which he took advantage of for a nice gain.

Of course we could just trust in Occam and assume it had something to do with the gaping holes that were teh Bills' Agaps throughout most of the first half....

Cya

75414[/snapback]

I would agree with most of your comments on the defense, but the turnovers I'm willing to cut a little more slack. We're middle of the pack in interceptions (and Clements missed a golden opportunity for another one on Sunday) and fumble recoveries involve a lot of luck IMO.

The 3rd down conversions and seeming inability to stop teams when it counts are very frustrating though. It's not that I can even say the defense is "bad" because they've shown themselves capable of shutting teams down for long stretches. Lack of focus or bad defensive philosophy on long downs?

We're middle of the pack in interceptions (and Clements missed a golden opportunity for another one on Sunday) and fumble recoveries involve a lot of luck IMO.

Regarding forcedfumbles/recoveries, I think we saw an interesting little piece of coaching between the Pats/Jets game. There were two instances in the NE game where Bills defenders came up from behind on unaware Patriot ballcarriers who only had the ball secured at two points and in neither case did the Bills make any attempt to dislodge the ball on the tackle. I found that frustrating because you just have to take advantage of those huge turnover opportunities when they arise. The coaches may have seen the same thing because sure enough the very next week against the Jets, Nate Clements made a great play to punch out a ball from the backside and get us a huge turnover in our own redzone.

Props to the Bills staff for keeping these guys' heads in the game.

I would agree with most of your comments on the defense, but the turnovers I'm willing to cut a little more slack.  We're middle of the pack in interceptions (and Clements missed a golden opportunity for another one on Sunday) and fumble recoveries involve a lot of luck IMO.

...or at least, zebras without quick whistles. :o

As for Adams, the question is: are the Bills a better ballclub WITH his or WITHOUT him? I think it's obvious they're better WITH him. I'm glad they didn't irrationally cut him and are going to deal with the problem internally. Hopefully that means more pass-rushing allowed by the DT's, to put more pressure on QB's and to keep Sam (and probably Pat) happy.

Who needs Sam Adams. I like the duo of Williams and Edwards in the middle. Everytime Edwards has gotten significant playing time, he has been solid.

75732[/snapback]

Edwards has played much better this year (as a sporadic back-up form time to time and finally in a consistent role in the final two quarters plus last weekend). However, he flatout sucked as the lone benchwarmer among starters drafted before and after him his rookie year. He was overmatched when he started his second year as the Bills had a weak front D four after switching to a 4-3 from a 3-4 at the same time we were losing Wiley to FA, Hansen to retirement, and Big Ted and Bruce to the salary cap.

He also sucked as a reserve last year when other teams would clearly run all over us when the injury bug slowed Adams and PW.

I need to see a little more from Edwards in terms of long-tem consistency and him being called upon to start a