ESPN rates LBs

Numark

Bills are at #15

Last year's second-round pick Paul Posluszny broke his forearm in the third week of the season, but his play was very promising before the injury. He is a natural playmaker with a great nose for the ball. Posluszny will be flanked by Angelo Crowell and newly signed Kawika Mitchell. Crowell is a great athlete who is rapidly improving and is an every-down player who can cover a lot of ground in coverage or in pursuit of the ball carrier. He had his best season as a pro last year and is more productive than many realize. Mitchell is coming off a Super Bowl victory and is at his best coming forward. He will help add size to the Bills' front and should be an able blitzer and reliable player versus the run. John DiGiorgio and Keith Ellison got starting experience last year and are excellent depth players who should both see time. Posluszny and Mitchell can play inside or out, and adding these two to last year's mix should make for a big improvement on the second level.

Pats are at #3

Jets are at #16

Dolphins are at #31

3. New England Patriots

This is a tried and true group, but as last season wore one stamina became a concern for a unit that is up there in age. The Patriots infused some youth into the group on draft day by selecting ILB Jerod Mayo, a perfect fit in their scheme who should make an immediate impact. Mayo is fast, diagnoses plays well, shows excellent versatility and should provide help from the start as an every-down linebacker. Fellow ILB Teddy Bruschi isn't the force he once was, but remains a playmaker in the middle and his leadership is invaluable. New England also signed Victor Hobson, a good fit who will lighten the load on Bruschi and Mayo and can also line up outside if needed. Junior Seau could factor in as well should he decide to play one more year. Coach Bill Belichick covets versatility, which is apparent when you study OLBs Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas. Vrabel had an exceptional 2007 season and is a superb pass rusher who also plays the run stoutly. Thomas is a do-it-all player with a rare skill set but he didn't quite live up to the lofty expectations that accompanied the big free-agent contract he signed prior to last season. The Patriots also added OLB Shawn Crable and ILB Bo Ruud on draft day to further stock the position. This is a smart, tough, versatile group full of playmakers that should be much better than a year ago, and New England just might have the best front seven in the league.

This is a tried and true group, but as last season wore one stamina became a concern for a unit that is up there in age. The Patriots infused some youth into the group on draft day by selecting ILB Jerod Mayo, a perfect fit in their scheme

They forgot the part about, in addition to infusing youth into the lineup, Bruschi, Vrabel, and Seau, all infused their tired bodies with HGH provided by Rodney Harrison.

If Poz is healthy and as good as I think he is, this could be a top 10 unit.

i feel that way too.

imo our entire front 7 tend to shoot gaps and run after the ball. based on that you need to look at them all together, and i think our front 7 has a good shot at being very good this year.

With all the ball washing that Mayo kid is getting... how the hell did he not go #1 overall?

Yeah I know. Last I knew, they missed out on their first choice in Keith Rivers and reached for the next best LB, who was projected to go later in the 1st or 2nd.