Chest freezer in garage

Fezmid

Hey all,

I'm thinking about buying a chest freezer to put in the garage. It's an attached garage but has no climate control - and therefore gets pretty hot in the summer.

How well will a chest freezer be able to keep the food frozen? And how much extra can I expect to pay in energy bills?

I could probably put it in the basement as well, but that wouldn't be as convenient... I'm assuming it'd use less energy during the summer though, right?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Yahoo or google are your friends. Yeah I know SUE kind of technical, but this came up on the first page.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitchen/...ews/review.html

Although many people like to keep a freezer in the garage, manufacturers say this isn't a good idea if your garage gets very hot or cold. In hot weather, compressors have to work overtime to keep food frozen, reducing the overall life of the compressor and making it more prone to breakage. We contacted Frigidaire, and a representative told us that the ideal temperature for keeping a chest or upright freezer in the garage is between 55� and 85� Fahrenheit. So if you live in a mild climate, keeping the freezer in the garage isn't a problem. For others, however, the basement is a better option.

Yahoo or google are your friends. Yeah I know SUE kind of technical, but this came up on the first page.

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitchen/...ews/review.html

Learn to read - my question wasn't about how long it would last, it's about how much extra energy (if any) it will consume. :lol:

If the energy bills are roughly the same, I'm fine with the thing only lasting 8 years instead of 10 - the convenience would be worth it.

Learn to read - my question wasn't about how long it would last, it's about how much extra energy (if any) it will consume. :P

If the energy bills are roughly the same, I'm fine with the thing only lasting 8 years instead of 10 - the convenience would be worth it.

Learn to read:

compressors have to work overtime to keep food frozen

If it's working overtime, then it's using more energy. :lol:

Learn to read:

compressors have to work overtime to keep food frozen

If it's working overtime, then it's using more energy. :lol:

"If the energy bills are roughly the same, I'm fine with the thing only lasting 8 years instead of 10 - the convenience would be worth it."

You're just stressed out because you're afraid the Cows will udderly dominate. It's understandable. :P

Learn to read - my question wasn't about how long it would last, it's about how much extra energy (if any) it will consume. :lol:

But the text did say "In hot weather, compressors have to work overtime to keep food frozen", indicating that more energy would be consumed as the compressor cycles more frequently in hot weather. In any case, this link speaks more directly to energy consumption in refrigerators and freezers.

I never understood the freezer in the garage thing. I'd like to know how much shiit you throw away each year that have become freezer burnt. Unless you're hunting deer and freezing several of them a year I think it's a waste.

I never understood the freezer in the garage thing. I'd like to know how much shiit you throw away each year that have become freezer burnt. Unless you're hunting deer and freezing several of them a year I think it's a waste.

You probably don't understand it because you don't have children. Not only did my wife make and freeze our son's baby food (pureed veggies, etc.), but now it's filled with things like Uncrustables* (frozen PBJ sammiches) bulk corn dogs and such, not to mention having a place to store things like soup, stock, pasta sauces...all of which we make in large batches. Then throw in some cuts of meat when you get a good deal (gotta use the Food Saver to store them properly), or probably one of my favorite uses: turkeys. During November the grocery stores are all but giving them away. We'll rotisserie at least three or four turkeys a year.

But again, if you don't have children, it's probably a worthless device.

*Editor's note: I can hear the Stuckincincy's now with their "Jeez, how hard is it to make a PBJ? In the old days, you were HAPPY to make a PBJ!" Let me say that Uncrustables are probably one of the best frozen food inventions ever.

You probably don't understand it because you don't have children. Not only did my wife make and freeze our son's baby food (pureed veggies, etc.), but now it's filled with things like Uncrustables* (frozen PBJ sammiches) bulk corn dogs and such, not to mention having a place to store things like soup, stock, pasta sauces...all of which we make in large batches. Then throw in some cuts of meat when you get a good deal (gotta use the Food Saver to store them properly), or probably one of my favorite uses: turkeys. During November the grocery stores are all but giving them away. We'll rotisserie at least three or four turkeys a year.

WTF? Where's the beer?

Not quite because of kids like LA suggested, but we do like to use our Food Saver a lot - so buy in bulk and store the extra in the freezer.

Whenever we visit Buffalo, my grandmother makes me a couple of trays of homemade lasagna and I bring home 100-150 wings to freeze for football season.

In addition, my in-laws live on a lake and catch a lot of fresh fish that we like to keep.

So while we don't really NEED one, it'd be handy - right now 80% of our freezer is filled with lasagna and wings... Doesn't leave room for other stuff! :devil:

Not in the freezer, that's for damn sure.

Back when "ice" beer was all the rage, a roommate of mine would stick the three extra cans from his 18-pack (love the 18-pack) of Carling Black Label out on the porch in the dead of winter. By morning he'd have "Black Ice." He was pretty resourceful, but not resourceful enough to survive colon cancer. Bottom's up, Rob!