The falling value of the dollar.....

All I keep hearing about in the media is the weakening dollar and how the dollar is falling in value against other currency. If I am not mistaken the Canadian dollar is the same value as the american dollar now...good for the canadiens but bad for Americans.

What can I do as a consumer/homeowner/taxpayer/american to help stop the weakening dollar and get it back to its higher value? Why is it so weak now?

What you can do is go back in time and NOT vote for Bush, EITHER time! Other than that, nothing.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE partisan politics :thumbsup: , but the falling value of the dollar has been the fault of horrible monetary policy dating back as far as the early 1930's when we decided to back our money by......ummm, nothing.

What can you do? Do your research and find politicians to support who are not morons when it comes to economics. Look at the bills and resolutions in front of congress that involve (in any way, shape, or form) the government spending your money in unnecessary, not to mention unconstitutional, ways (this could include bureaucracies, foreign aide, war, etc...), and write to your congress men and women to oppose them (no, I don't expect much change from that, but at least it's doing SOMETHING).

If you are asking what you can do with your money to help the value of the dollar? The answer is not a whole hell of a lot. The government (both sides of the line) have been destroying the dollar for decades. There is no quick fix to this problem, NO MATTER WHAT POLITICIANS TRY TO TELL YOU. No matter what stupid bills they try to tax to divert YOUR money to different programs to "stimulate" the economy.

You can also learn about it:

Mises.org

An incredible amount of information on that site that can keep you busy for months if you wanted....and point you in the right direction for even more info.

if you want to help the dollar, get rid of the Federal Reserve and its ever increasing note it holds over the country.

While I'm sure HelloNewman is a great guy in his own right, I doubt he has that ability.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE partisan politics :thumbsup: , but the falling value of the dollar has been the fault of horrible monetary policy dating back as far as the early 1930's when we decided to back our money by......ummm, nothing.

What can you do? Do your research and find politicians to support who are not morons when it comes economics. Look at the bills and resolutions in front of congress that involve (in any way, shape, or form) the government spending your money in unnecessary, not to mention unconstitutional, ways (this could include bureaucracies, foreign aide, war, etc...), and write to your congress men and women to oppose them (no, I don't expect much change from that, but at least it's doing SOMETHING).

If you are asking what you can do with your money to help the value of the dollar? The answer is not a whole hell of a lot. The government (both sides of the line) have been destroying the dollar for decades. There is no quick fix to this problem, NO MATTER WHAT POLITICIANS TRY TO TELL YOU. No matter what stupid bills they try to tax to divert YOUR money to different programs to "stimulate" the economy.

You can also learn about it:

Mises.org

An incredible amount of information on that site that can keep you busy for months if you wanted....and point you in the right direction for even more info.

Thanks for the link. That's an interesting blog and I'll add it to my favorites. In the interest of the well documented theory of the need for reciprocation (best outlined in Mauboussin's "More Than You Know"), here's one of my favorite market blogs.

I'm curious, you mentioned the 1930s as the beginning of poor monetary policy. However, it wasn't until the Nixon administration that the dollar was taken off the gold standard, pushed by those believing that US economic growth had been stunted by the gold linkage. What happened in the 30s other than the two acts that created the regulation of the capital markets?

Thanks for the link. That's an interesting blog and I'll add it to my favorites. In the interest of the well documented theory of the need for reciprocation (best outlined in Mauboussin's "More Than You Know"), here's one of my favorite market blogs.

I'm curious, you mentioned the 1930s as the beginning of poor monetary policy. However, it wasn't until the Nixon administration that the dollar was taken off the gold standard, pushed by those believing that US economic growth had been stunted by the gold linkage. What happened in the 30s other than the two acts that created the regulation of the capital markets?

Nixon only finished things off. The US government went off the gold standard in 1933. Between then and 1971 there was an exception for foreign central banks who could still trade dollars for gold. But as the dollar started losing it's value and we were printing money like it was made of toilet paper, those foreign banks started trying to bail out and trade all of their dollars in for gold. Nixon stopped that in 1971.

Nixon only finished things off. The US government went off the gold standard in 1933. Between then and 1971 there was an exception for foreign central banks who could still trade dollars for gold. But as the dollar started losing it's value and we were printing money like it was made of toilet paper, those foreign banks started trying to bail out and trade all of their dollars in for gold. Nixon stopped that in 1971.

Thanks. I'm not sure who said it first, but I'll always remember the first time I heard someone say "All fiat currencies eventually go to zero" and everyone in the room sighed, took a drink, and shook their head.

(Sigh)

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

What you can do is go back in time and NOT vote for Bush, EITHER time! Other than that, nothing.

Or you could go back in time there are plenty of other things you could have done differently

That said, bitching and moaning about what other people did in the past really won't do much to help today or tomorrow. But if it makes you better dwelling on who to blame for the problems than thinking about solutions, knock yourself out

"All fiat currencies eventually go to zero"

Fiat currencies?? Fiat is an auto maker, I am really hoping they bring the Alfa back in '09 as they said last year. The Alfa Competizione 8C should be hitting these shores sometime soon. :thumbsup: