Did we know this? DTs will switch assignments

:pirate:

It's true. There were plenty of times when he would just completely dominate. The 2 consecutive stuffs at the goal line come to mind, as does when he blew up McGahee. Of course i wouldn't expect some people to know what they are talking about.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If after 1+ seasons, McCargo can't win the starting job at DT, when will he?

The signing of Spencer Johnson is a message to Williams and McCargo. As much as the Bills talk about Spencer playing DE, he was brought in to push, and possibly play ahead of McCargo.

Either way, Buffalo will put their top 2 DT's on the field as often as possible. And right now, that's Stroud and either McCargo or Sp. Johnson.

It's true. There were plenty of times when he would just completely dominate. The 2 consecutive stuffs at the goal line come to mind, as does when he blew up McGahee. Of course i wouldn't expect some people to know what they are talking about.

He made a few good plays... hardly dominating. Yes, that goal line stand was nice to see, but there was a lot more inconsistent play than anything else from him.

The fact that he has yet to gain the confidence of the coaching staff after 2 years in the system is a bit of a head-scratcher. We'll see what he does this year, with no excuses. I'd be thrilled if his play is just average let alone dominating.

Kyle Williams is in line to "start" alongside Marcus Stroud. He didn't have great numbers last year because he was playing the nose tackle position and he was the one getting doubled or chipped-on for most of the plays. If you watch the video about this, you hear him say how happy he is now that he won't always be lined up like that. That gives him more of an opportunity to penetrate and make plays.

I think McCargo will be subbing in for Stroud more than anything. He really came on late last year and looks like he's getting better and stronger every game. He'll get a lot of playing time, but I see him covering for Stroud and Johnson covering for Williams (especially on passing downs.) Any way you look at it, we're in much better shape than before and with our constant rotation of players keeps everyone fresh and gets them all decent playing time.

phat pat used to sub for big ted, and johnson subbed for phat pat and k williams.

tell me on the giants line who starts at what possy, and who makes an impact at what possy. our d has our linemen running

to the ball and at the passer much more than many other nfl d's, we need lots of guys who can play.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10882613

6. John McCargo, DT, Buffalo Bills: After a disappointing rookie season in 2006, cut short by injury, McCargo played much better in 2007. He had 2½ sacks, led the Bills with 6½ stops behind the line of scrimmage and now appears ready to do even more in his third season. The addition of former Jaguars defensive tackle Marcus Stroud to play next to him will help McCargo improve even more.

Once upon a time, a guy named Rob Johnson was ranked #1 on a list similar to this, in July.

I can't imagine when he would have been. Futile was the man after the 1998 season. After 1999 and the Music City Mistake, it wasn't like RJ was considered a great QB. Same after the 2000 season. So I'm calling BS unless you can provide a link.

If after 1+ seasons, McCargo can't win the starting job at DT, when will he?

The signing of Spencer Johnson is a message to Williams and McCargo. As much as the Bills talk about Spencer playing DE, he was brought in to push, and possibly play ahead of McCargo.

Either way, Buffalo will put their top 2 DT's on the field as often as possible. And right now, that's Stroud and either McCargo or Sp. Johnson.

Actually, McCargo didn't play nearly any of his rookie season due to a foot injury. That injury was healed last year, and thus he was finally able to get time on the field. When he did get time on the field last year, it was productive. His play improved as the year went on, and for what was essentially his rookie season to total the best TFL numbers on the team, the best solo tackle/tackle ratio and have the second highest sack total on the team for the limited time he actually played seems to make your argument look foolish. I think that by the end of pre-season, McCargo will be solidly entrenched as the starter next to Stroud. Johnson will be rotating in to give Stroud a rest and Williams will come in for McCargo at the three where he will also likely be more effective.

McCargo was for all intents and purposes a rookie last season and he looked good for a rookie. This is his year. The guy was a beast in college and I expect to see that same kind of production out of him this year based on his performance. Most of the people who watch this stuff for a living and write about it agree that he really came on at the end of the season. I trust my eyes, and theirs before the negative nancies that reside on this board. He played well when he had opportunities last season, and most agree he is really improving.

Most of the people who watch this stuff for a living and write about it agree that he really came on at the end of the season. I trust my eyes, and theirs before the negative nancies that reside on this board.

And most people who watch this stuff for a living were convinced that passing on Reggie Bush was a stupid mistake.

They also thought that Ricky Williams was a better draft pick for the Eagles than Donovan McNabb.

They even listed Rob Johnson as the QB most likely to break out in 2001.

I'll agree that he showed flashes last season. I'll also agree that he is a year behind because of injuries and the jury's still out. But I am not convinced he was a great college player... he benefited greatly playing on a line with Manny Lawson and Mario Williams. But you're right -- this is his year... let's see what he can do. No more excuses.

We'll no longer have a nose & a 3 technique tackle, players will alternate that role based on reads.

Given that...who's the best person to line up next to Stroud?

I say Williams. What you say?

linkage

Meanwhile, has anyone questioned the coaching staff that is supposed to be so good defensively as to why they're even switching and basically giving up on their original system?

I didn't think so.

:thumbsup:

Meanwhile, has anyone questioned the coaching staff that is supposed to be so good defensively as to why they're even switching and basically giving up on their original system?

I didn't think so.

:thumbsup:

because they just figured out that the guy they thought brought in to stuff the run (Stroud) actually weighs less than all of our DL, even though he is 6'-6". Not exactly the big bottom guy to anchor against the run. so now they have no one to play the true DT.

look for both DTs to line up in the gaps so no one DT is consistently being double teamed, because no one is big enough to handle it

because they just figured out that the guy they thought brought in to stuff the run (Stroud) actually weighs less than all of our DL, even though he is 6'-6". Not exactly the big bottom guy to anchor against the run. so now they have no one to play the true DT.

look for both DTs to line up in the gaps so no one DT is consistently being double teamed, because no one is big enough to handle it

Let's have a lesson in numbers, obie wan. Is 310 greater or less than 307, 306, and 286? Anyone, anyone? Oh yeah, and at his weight, Stroud sucked.

Let's have a lesson in numbers, obie wan. Is 310 greater or less than 307, 306, and 286? Anyone, anyone? Oh yeah, and at his weight, Stroud sucked.

yeah those weights are all classic for nose tackles :thumbsup:

we still have no one to play the nose - and are forced to change schemes because the front office failed to deliver personnel to run the preferred scheme.

We now have 4 3-technique guys to rotate

yeah those weights are all classic for nose tackles :thumbsup:

we still have no one to play the nose - and are forced to change schemes because the front office failed to deliver personnel to run the preferred scheme.

Let me ask you, who was the nose tackle the past 2 years for the Bills? What was his weight? How was that working out?

We now have 4 3-technique guys to rotate

Yeah, and who wants 4-3 technique guys...in a 4-3?

Yes, that goal line stand was nice to see, but there was a lot more inconsistent play than anything else from him.

Actually, if you get a chance to go back and watch it you'lll see he abandonded his gap and just happened to be lucky enough to make the play. It was virtually a total lack of discipline- it's difficult to give him high marks for breaking the defense. More often than not, the result of losing your discipline like that ends up in 6 points.

I am hoping that he lives up to his draft position this year, but at this point in time his inability to break into the starting rotation at DT hardly supports any great confidence in that happening. There is the counter argument that we want a strong A and B interior rotation, but if you have a game-changer, you want him to be on the A team. So far there is no indication that our staff sees JM being a game-changer this season.

Let me ask you, who was the nose tackle the past 2 years for the Bills? What was his weight? How was that working out?

Yeah, and who wants 4-3 technique guys...in a 4-3?

way to read -

four 3-technique guys and ZERO nose tackles.

good thing we were strong against the run last year